Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2023, 11:44 AM   #1

Flag pole mount...

So, as a recovering engineer, I can't leave many things alone, OR I can't simply buy something that already exists. I have to reinvent the wheel for everything.

Last year during camping season, I decided that I wanted to have a telescoping flag pole, AFTER seeing a really slick mount on the back of a motorhome that went into the receiver.

I decided that I could make one, and I did, and it works pretty well. Unfortunatley, this is the only pic that I have of the actual flag mount, and this was just a "test" to make sure that it fit in the receiver.

But, I discovered that there are some campgrounds that we go to, and the rear receiver doesn't work well for the flag, because it's a back in site, and you can't see the flag.

So, I built a mount (again overengineered) for the front king pin. This was the first weekend that we were out that I had a chance to try it our. This is the result:

It clamps on with a flat piece so that the kingpin plate that the mount are one unit, so it doesn't rattle around, and I have a rattle stop for the receiver part so that it doesn't rattle at that joint either. I use that on the back when I have it back there:

A couple more images:

Attached Thumbnails
1a.jpg   1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

Old 07-17-2023, 11:54 AM   #2

Wow - That is certainly an engineered mount! I made one for my trailer as well but I simply copied an idea I saw online and welded up my own version with some mods that made it stronger.

Here is the picture that I used for my design. I don't have access to any of the pictures of mine right now but I have a pin that secures the pole in the sleeve and not just a set screw.

I just drop it under the tongue jack of my trailer and it supports my 20 foot telescoping flag pole with no issues....
Attached Thumbnails
Flagpole Mount.jpg  

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman_ks View Post
So, as a recovering engineer, I can't leave many things alone, OR I can't simply buy something that already exists. I have to reinvent the wheel for everything.
I have that same problem. My better half says my favorite word is modify!
Was thinking of a similar idea to mount on the rear bumper of our camper. But first I will be replacing the stock tin bumper with a .125” 5” tube I’ve acquired.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:35 PM   #4

I have one that attaches to my rear ladder that works very well. I also have a light sensing spot light to go with it so I don't have to take it down at night because I know I will forget.
Nevr2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevr2late View Post
I have one that attaches to my rear ladder that works very well. I also have a light sensing spot light to go with it so I don't have to take it down at night because I know I will forget.
I have that same light on the top, and it actually works really well.

I decided NOT to go the ladder route. I wasn't for sure that I wanted all of that extra side load and the ladder when it's windy.

I didn't add this in the original post, but the flag pole AND mount sustained a 75+ MPH wind storm a couple of weeks back. That's when it was in the rear receiver. The wind blew so hard that it actually ripped one of our flags at BOTH rings! I was glad that I didn't have it on the ladder that time...