Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2014, 10:55 PM   #1

Flat screen TV locked in closed/travel position

The large flat screen TV in the living room will not release from the latching system to allow the TV to pull out and swivel. In our Pinnacle 35LKTS, the release cable with pull ring is located above the TV and a few inches right of the Jensen audio system. I've released the TV on a few occasions but now there is no "give" in the cable no matter how hard I pull on it. My guess is the cable or the ring on the lever is tangle around something. The bigger problem is there is little to no access to the back of the TV. A mirror and flashlight does little to give a good view behind the TV. I even picked up a video scope (on sale for $70 at Harbor Freight) but it's still a challenge to get a good idea how the latch is situated.

I'm hoping another Pinnacle owner or someone with another Jayco fifth wheel with the same set up can provide a good picture or two of the latch set up.

I went to Camping World and looked at an Eagle with basically the same TV and fireplace set up but, on this one, the cable/pull ring is located below the TV. I took the below picture of the Eagle latch. I'm just guessing but maybe the latch on my Pinnacle is reversed (upside down) since the cable/pull ring are above the TV. Having a good clear picture of a latch like mine might help me to shape a heavy wire like a coat hanger to make a connection on the release lever.

Any pictures or advice will be welcomed. Like most things on our FW, I prefer to do the work myself whenever possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Image 10.jpg   IMG_0937.jpg  

2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35LKTS
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7L
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/72000 Wireless compressor
PullRite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #2

I have the same latching mechanism in my Jayco Eagle 5th wheel. It is located on the wall above the fireplace. The cable is a long run behind the fireplace and inside a bottom storage. I almost never found it. Dealer did not even know it was there. Mine does not pull easy and you have to get it at the right angle to get it to unlatch. It will work however so don't know how else to help you. Maybe try to change the angle you are pulling the cable might help. Also might try having someone put pressure back on the Television as it could be binding the latch. Hope this helps.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #3

We have the same Pinnacle, once the latch locks and is under pressure from the TV, it will not release by simply pulling the cable.
I have to push in on the top of the TV to get the pressure off the latch and pull the cable at the same time to unlock the TV.
Hope this helps.
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #4

Funny, I can't get my to latch when I push the TV in. I'm thinking I will take the tv off the bracket and work with it until I get it latched but, sounds like once you get it latched you can't get it unlatched...LOL
rbarker46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #5

I had this happen to me once. found that the television had swiveled slightly and the edge of the television had gotten caught under the bottom edge of the counter top.
2010 Camping Nights 45
2011 Camping Nights 70
2012 Camping Nights 144
2013 Camping Nights 49
allen8106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #6

Update to my 5-5-14 post above.

Used the Harbor Freight video scope mentioned in my original post to take a look behind stuck flat screen TV. There it was, the ring (like those found on a key ring) connected to the release lever and pull cable was some how bound up against the wood panel and lever. With no luck releasing the TV with firm inward pressure applied to it, I slid a large screw driver through the pul ring and gave it a hefty jerk . . . it worked!!!

Two things I learned about this set up, 1.) the cable should be connected directly to the release lever without the ring in between the two, and 2.) the cable is much too long allowing the ring at the release lever to fall behind and between the lever and wood panel. Both will be fixed before our next outing.

2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35LKTS
2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7L
Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/72000 Wireless compressor
PullRite SuperGlide w/SuperRails
Str8shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

Thanks for the update Str8shooter. Glad to hear it is an easy fix!

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote