Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #1

Flooring Replacement

Unfortunately we had several screws that hold the subfloor down
come up through our flooring. The good news is that our dealership
notified us that Jayco has authorized its replacement. During our conversation the dealer mentioned that they will need to "hyper extend" our slides, has anyone had this done and what should I look for when they give my FW back?
Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

Hyper extend means that they are effectively removing the slides all the way out. This will require the removal of all the wood trim on the inside of the unit to allow them to move out flush with the walls.

The flooring is actually laid prior to any wall being put on the unit, so it essentially runs wall to wall.

I would make sure all the screws and finish nails are replaced correctly and they go in and out without binding.

Lots of cuts around the inside walls which you might want to trim with 1/4 round now that the floor with not be seamless. Typically Vinyl floats and is only glued on the edges. I am not sure how the RV world works with the application.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Yes they will trim around everything with quarter round.
This is one of the reasons I didn’t want them to replace my floor.
I’ll just make a tiny slit and drive the screw down and finish with seam sealer.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #4

I did the same as Klassic. Cut a slit, screwed back down, seam sealer to finish off and close up the slit

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
I did the same as Klassic. Cut a slit, screwed back down, seam sealer to finish off and close up the slit
I think it’s a crap shoot... the re-flooring job is going to be as good as the dealers tech is that day, and then your pretty much stuck with it.
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Just my two cents, but I would seriously weight out this repair before doing it. If this is only a cosmetic issue I'm not sure I would want my new camper pulled apart for some floor screws.

I was ask how feasible it would be to put the screws back in and blend the vinyl floor (assuming it's vinyl). I was neighbors with a guy who had some vinyl floor issue and the dealer wanted to pretty much deconstruct the camper to fix the vinyl flooring. Since everything is built up after that vinyl floor goes in, it fix it requires pulling all that stuff out. He chose the less destructive option and has the vinyl floor patched. He was very pleased with the quality of the patch. He knows the seam is there and will always be able to see it. But if you didn't know where to look, you'd never notice it.

Just one more thing to maybe think about....
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
I think it’s a crap shoot... the re-flooring job is going to be as good as the dealers tech is that day, and then your pretty much stuck with it.

Exactly right. Those guys aren’t vinyl floor layers, nor are they trim carpenters. That’s why I fixed mine myself. I bought some seam sealer at Lowe’s for $7 and had my 3 “floor bumps” fixed in 10 minutes

Old 09-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #8

Thanks to all who've replied. I know that I don't want quarter round put in.
I'll double check with the dealer to find out who's going to be doing the work. During my initial conversation with the service writer he'd indicated that they hire a vinyl flooring person to do the replacement. If quarter round is my only option I'll just have to become a vinyl repair person.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Exactly right. Those guys aren’t vinyl floor layers, nor are they trim carpenters. That’s why I fixed mine myself. I bought some seam sealer at Lowe’s for $7 and had my 3 “floor bumps” fixed in 10 minutes
Was that a liquid seem sealer or some heat type gun? Also to cut floor did you do just a single slit or something like an X over the bump?
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post
Was that a liquid seem sealer or some heat type gun? Also to cut floor did you do just a single slit or something like an X over the bump?
Least invasive cut to turn the screw back in would be a triangle.

I'd rather have a flooring person fix it than a dealer if I couldn't do it myself.

In a prior TT we had the vinyl split during a very cold winter and I pulled it all out and installed vinyl planks. Looked way better than the OE stuff but we sold the trailer shortly after so I don't know about longevity. Was a lot thicker than the vinyl that Coachmen put in though.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJoker TX View Post

Liquid seam sealer. Came in a squeeze tube like caulk. I cut a single slit

Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The zip screw head is only 7/16", so the cross slit has to be a little bigger, before installing put a thin tubing (1" high and size so the screw will go through) in the cross-slit which makes installing a lot easier, because you can keep the vinyl away. Put some Loctite on the treads and re-install the screw flush. Use some glue for the vinyl and roll the repair, finish with vinyl seam. It will never be 100%, but something you are able to live with.

To me it beats a re-install of vinyl where they might have to move interior cabinets, slides etc.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #13

Before we replaced our entire living area with vinyl planking we had a couple of screws making bumps in the original flooring. Took it into our dealer and he fixed it without replacing floor while under warranty. I couldn't find any marks in the area they repaired.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote