Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-15-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Flushing without opening dump valve

On a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel, I put the water hose into the black water flush on an initially empty tank. I got distracted and did not open the black tank dump valve. Soon enough there was water coming from underneath the trailer. Not leaking inside, but leaking around the black water tank area.

I dumped the tank via the dump valve and then filled it up again by flushing the toilet to see if there was a leak. Nothing happened until I got water way up into the toilet. Once the water level went above the tank, it leaked again under the trailer. Upon inspecting the toilet pipe, I saw no traces of water around it. However, I saw some beads of water on the vent pipe where it connects to the black water tank.

Has anyone ever done this and did it cause damage to your RV or to the plumbing? Is there perhaps a relief system for overfilling the tank as with flushing with a closed dump valve?
F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #2

Yep, been there done that. Have never had any problems since.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #3

What til you do if with a partially filled black tank! Fortunately, mine had an overflow outlet, but it still made a mess at the dump station. It seemed like days before I could get it all cleaned up. Those flushers, I found, can fill a tank pretty fast.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #4

We haven’t had that wonderful experience yet. Although we do use the flush valve to clean the tank with the valve closed (but only for a minute or so), the owners manual specially states to use the flush valve with the black tank valve open.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
We haven’t had that wonderful experience yet. Although we do use the flush valve to clean the tank with the valve closed (but only for a minute or so)
I do this as well. I hook up the flush and turn it on and let it run about a minute and then pull the valve while the flush is still running. Gets things all stirred up just before dumping.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I do this as well. I hook up the flush and turn it on and let it run about a minute and then pull the valve while the flush is still running. Gets things all stirred up just before dumping.
I also flush with the valve closed, but monitor the tank level sensors when doing it to make sure I open the valve when between 1/2 and 3/4 full. I've also put a water pressure regulator on the black flush intake. This provides some protection to the black flush line.

I blew my black flush line on a previous trailer because the campgrounds water pressure was so high.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #7

There's a little sticker, next to our flush connector, warning you that "an unsanitary incident may occur " if you forget the dump valve... A nice way of putting it.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

O yes I forgot one time. All the way to the top of the camper and coming off the roof.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #9

So sorry for problem, but I've never had that happen to me. I do flush my black tank with the valve closed. I wait until I here the water spraying into the tank to change sound, then I open the discharge valve. I repeat this three times to get all the to and solids out. I use a clear 45* adapter on my hose to be able to tell. Good luck in your situation and happy travels.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #10

I use the black flush valve with the tank open. I do however close the tank for a couple minutes (depends what the flow is) to allow the water to reach the sensors. I give my wife the job of staring into the black abyss of said tank to make sure it doesn't overflow. Yeah...we're geeks, we use the cell phones.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
...I give my wife the job of staring into the black abyss of said tank to make sure it doesn't overflow. Yeah...we're geeks, we use the cell phones.
Your wife comes with you to the dump station? Mine is only in charge of filling the tank!
Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
Your wife comes with you to the dump station? Mine is only in charge of filling the tank!
LOL..nah. We do all of this at the site. Always have full hook-up.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:05 PM   #13

After I dump my black tank I backflush it with the gray water from the galley tank, then drain. I then close the black tank valve and run the black tank flusher for 6 minutes (I have a 50 gal tank and use a timer). I drain the tank and run another 6 minutes of water with the tank closed then drain. I then let the black tank flusher run with the tank open until it runs clear.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2012 321RLTS Eagle (sold)
2011 F350 CC SB
dzwiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
I've also put a water pressure regulator on the black flush intake. This provides some protection to the black flush line.

I blew my black flush line on a previous trailer because the campgrounds water pressure was so high.
I also have a pressure regulator on my black tank flush apparatus. Also has a shut-off valve. Here's a pic of mine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	39028
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #15

I always wait until tank is FULL before dumping at my seasonal site (PVC piped to sewage). I then run black flush with valve open for about 5 minutes. Then I close the valve with flush still running. I let it partially fill again (5 minutes), then shut off flush and open valve to empty. I close the valve then go inside and add about 4 full toilet bowls of water, and one or two of my tank packets to the empty tank. Done. Tank meter has remained accurate for 2 years using this method. Grey tank valve remains open all season.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisb-24 View Post
So sorry for problem, but I've never had that happen to me. I do flush my black tank with the valve closed. I wait until I here the water spraying into the tank to change sound, then I open the discharge valve. I repeat this three times to get all the to and solids out. I use a clear 45* adapter on my hose to be able to tell. Good luck in your situation and happy travels.
Chris
I do the same.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #17

To answer your question it should be sealed with a vent that runs to the roof. Sounds like a loose vent pipe connection.
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #18

I did same thing. Worse result. Water started leaking into trailer from the toilet. Then the entire black tank crashed to the ground. 5 weeks w/o a toilet eating for a new black tank. Jayco paid under warranty. I still use the same process but ALWAYS set a timer for 4 minutes so I don’t repeat the disasater.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350 View Post
On a 2018 Jayco Eagle HT 5th wheel, I put the water hose into the black water flush on an initially empty tank. I got distracted and did not open the black tank dump valve. Soon enough there was water coming from underneath the trailer. Not leaking inside, but leaking around the black water tank area.

I dumped the tank via the dump valve and then filled it up again by flushing the toilet to see if there was a leak. Nothing happened until I got water way up into the toilet. Once the water level went above the tank, it leaked again under the trailer. Upon inspecting the toilet pipe, I saw no traces of water around it. However, I saw some beads of water on the vent pipe where it connects to the black water tank.

Has anyone ever done this and did it cause damage to your RV or to the plumbing? Is there perhaps a relief system for overfilling the tank as with flushing with a closed dump valve?
I've read some black tank horror stories and it sounds like you dodged a bullet on this one. Good thing it wasn't used before you got distracted. I suppose it's possible that there's an overflow drain at the top of the black tank that adjusts for this - just in case.

Here's how I run my rig: Get an add-on RV twist on waste valve. This will keep the crud in the waste tube instead of getting a stinky wet surprise when popping the cap off. I keep the black tank closed, the gray shower tank open and the gray galley tank closed.

When it's time to go, hook up the black water flush, open the black valve and turn the flush on. It can take several minutes to flush the crud out. You'll have better results if you have a clear elbow where it plugs into the ground. Go ahead and close the black valve and let the flush run for 60 seconds before opening the black valve again. Do this a couple times to be sure. When that's finished, turn the flush off, close the black valve and you're done. I like to empty the galley tank last to flush out the lines and hose before disconnecting.

I like to keep my gray shower/sink valve open to lubricate the dump hose, the black stays closed until done (or full) and the kitchen galley is closed and used for the final clean out phase. - Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:08 AM   #20

Always flush with the valve open. Takes a little longer to clean. That's ok
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote