Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2018, 01:11 PM   #41

Pull the trigger on the 450 and don't look back!!! IMHO you have found the best tow unit. But what do I know as I was always a Ford man and proud of it!!!
rchlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #42

We tow a 42 foot Jayco Eagle Premier (precursor to North Point) that weighs in at about 13,500 with our 3/4 ton GMC DuraMax Diesel (2008 model) that is equipped with same size engine as 1 ton PU. We added heavy duty shocks and have been very pleased with it. We travel like you are planning to. Our truck gets 17-19 MPG when not towing, 10-11 with trailer. I would advise you to buy an RV with no Schwintek slides as we have had 3 repairs on our slide in 3 years to the tune of about $6000 including everything. Last repair was done in Goshen IN by Lippert Components who manufacture the Schwintek slides. Lippert told us these slides are not made to be put on big, heavy slides but dealers are doing it anyway, and the mechanism fails. I would suggest switching brands to a system that is totally hydraulic which some of the large 5th wheel manufacturers have gone to. Jayco won't tell you this though, as they are still using Schwintek system and electronic leveling. Hydraulic system much superior and more dependable than electronic.
Overogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #43

go with the dually.

We tow with a 2013 f350 drw platinum. Best truck I've ever had to tow with. We tow 2011 Pinnicle. A little heavier than yours I think.

I did look into a f650, but couldn't talk the wife into it. too big she said and it would have been a manual tranny. She's ok with driving the f350 though, even while towing. The f650 was going to be cheaper too.

bobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by priv8pilot View Post
So I have ordered and am waiting for my 2019 Jayco Pinnacle. While I wait my attention is turning to a tow rig. I will not be traveling for a while (full time in one spot) But I am trying to figure out the way to go when I find the right deal. I am and have been a Ford guy my whole life. So this is not a Ford Chevy, Dodge question. But Dodge and Chevy owners are invited to give your opinion. My 5th wheel is in the 16500 weight range. What I am looking at is actual towing by members and what they use.

So here are my thoughts:
When I finally retire the plan is to travel the USA. Drive a bit, find a place and stay for a month or two and explore. I want both a truck that is safe and stable BUT it also needs to be one that when I find a town to land in I need to be able to unhook and explore the town. I started thinking F350 SRW. But then The F350 DRW would be a better tow vehicle for this size trailer. I used a friends F450 for a couple of months and loved it but what a large monster! I did get use to driving that around. Now I work at a large car dealership chain and thru work found a 2016 F450 platinum at a GREAT price. Thinking of pulling the trigger on that.

So the question is this. Those of you that travel and unhook. What are you using and how is it around town? What did you chose? Any regrets on your tow vehicle choice and why or why not?
blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #44

I would defiantly recommend the dualy. Once you get use to it, parking is not bad.
Jwingate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #45

Our previous 5ver was smaller and we had a Chev 3/4 ton diesel long bed with SRW. Never had an issue and towed great. We got the bigger trailer and moved up the the F350 dually...man o man does this truck tow. The stability is amazing when you are driving down the road. Have never not been able to get somewhere just have to park a little further out. And as some one else mentioned...back in and fold the mirrors.
DesertJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #46

Not a 5er guy, just towing a smaller TT and watching this thread.

Just curious with those who are towing these LARGER 5er's, I assume when refueling that you are able to use the trucker pumps.

I'm on the side of get the best you can afford. Bigger is better especially if you plan to upgrade to a larger, if possible, 5er in the future.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #47

Pull the trigger on that Platinum 450 your eyeballing at your dealership.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #48

Yes, we are allowed to use trucker lanes to refuel. Some truck stops even have special lanes for rv'ers with diesel pumps.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overogal View Post
Yes, we are allowed to use trucker lanes to refuel. Some truck stops even have special lanes for rv'ers with diesel pumps.
I do use the RV pumps when I see them also.

Just curious if the truckers are good with the RV's in their lanes.

I do tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel, but I have to use the pumps out front because the fuel inlet is not big enough for the trucker nozzle.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #50

I haul a similar unit. First with a F350 (crew Cab, diesel). It was a 2010 brand new when I bought it. After 8 years of hauling, first a light pull behind and then the monster fifth the truck just gave up. Heads and turbo. I had checked with my ford dealer where I bought the truck before I bought the fifth wheel. They said it would be fine. When the problems started they first said “that’s why we only made that engine for 2 years. Then the same guy who told me it was go to tow the 5th now says I was hauling too much weight. I had 79,000 miles and maintained it by Ford at heavy duty specs. I was pissed and swore off ford. I got a GMC 3500 Denali DRW with 8 foot bed. I love it. Parking around town can me an issue so I use an old beater car or park at far end of lot away from everyone. The one thing I will say for ford is that their trucks have many more amenities that make life easier. GMC DRW does not have the tailgate step, nor does it have tire pressure monitor(not available on dually) the trailer mirrors need to be operated by hand, etc. I definitely think you should go with the dually. Read the weight charts for the truck you are considering.
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 PM   #51

I have a 2012 pinnacle at 14,350 lbs
The truck is a 2009 diesel f250 4x4 with trailer and tow package along with a firestone rear air bags.
After much research with ford dealers found out that the f250 can Hall the 5er as good if not better than the f350. My wife and I are retired and been all over the United States with no problem
Jazbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #52

Truckers have always been nothing but polite with us in our travels over the country.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #53

F-350 srw diesel

My truck is 2006 F-350 Diesel FX4 8 ' BED.... handles my 2015 Pinnacle just fine. Trailer Weight is now 14.5K overall length 40.7'.... unhitched, it's my daily use truck. Like others have said, parking isn't usually an issue if you're willing to park away from the PRIME spots... I park where theres no need to try and squeeze in ..
Widoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazbow View Post
I have a 2012 pinnacle at 14,350 lbs
The truck is a 2009 diesel f250 4x4 with trailer and tow package along with a firestone rear air bags.
After much research with ford dealers found out that the f250 can Hall the 5er as good if not better than the f350. My wife and I are retired and been all over the United States with no problem
The only real difference is a spring leaf, I believe. Under weight the F250 will sink down a bit more than the 350. Other than that no real difference. If you have a 2009 you have the same engine that I had in my 2010. Glad it’s working for you. I had horrible mileage and the engine was shot at 80,000 miles. (Turbo, heads and a catilytic converter) They used that engine for 2-2 1/2 years. Plagued with issues.
jmj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #55

I use the truck fuel docks if we're fueling at a truck stop (premium priced diesel).

After 2 yrs of towing the fiver (15k#) with a F350 dually and using it as my daily I much prefer the SRW Chev. No issues with being a SB either. I use my truck on off/forest/dirt roads as well and the dually was terrible for that. The Chev is nicer when in the cities too, sometimes had to pay for 2 spots with the dually. As long as I don't go over payload on a SRW I'd not want a dually (have no intention of going bigger on a trailer either, smaller maybe).

It depends on your fiver. If it requires a DRW then you have no choice, if not then it's a personal thing. I ignore the "can never have too much truck" talk.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #56

We tow our 43ft Eagle Premier with a Silverado dually. She gets the same mileage with or without the trailer. Yes, sometimes, you have to find a bigger spot for the truck, but we use it for exploring when camping long term without any issues.
Tina G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #57

In November 2017 we purchased a 2018 Jayco 36 FBTS. We love it, and have had zero problems. I was towing with a 2014 Ford F-350 SRW and was very pleased with the truck, but after the purchase of the new RV I became concerned with the problems that “might” occur with the single rear wheel, while towing a 16,000# rig. I elected to trade the tow vehicle for a low mileage, used diesel 2016 Chevrolet 3500 DRW. I now feel secure in towing my heavy RV. My only issue is the turbo lag with the Duramax. The Ford was very responsive but the Chevy struggles with the immediate need for “get up and go”.
I’m getting 9.5 mpg avg towing the RV and 12.5 mpg towing my loaded cargo trailer (8.5’ x 24’). Those are the facts! I love my present truck but there are “give and takes” with all makes/models.
My point is, to never try to tow with a SRW when towing a heavy RV. Although it is expensive when you buy tires, it really feels nice to know you have the security of having four tires carrying the load.
Gary C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:27 PM   #58

Towing a Monster

This is our rig, 2014 4x4 F450 platinum towing a 2017 Jayco Seismic 4113 Toy hauler!!! This has air ride rear axel and air ride hitch... Although this truck is large, it’s a pleasure to drive and tow with... My wife drives this truck wherever she wants to go for getting groceries or towing our Seismic 4113 to the next site... I towed through heavy rains, snow storms with no problems what so ever... The F450 is your best truck without get it into the F550 heaver class, but then we’re a little prejudiced because we love our truck and never go back to F350!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
D537EC89-3426-44A6-8DB9-87E63D9C0D06.jpg  
Isamattieshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond_Cubby View Post
There are a lot of replies here recommending the DRW - I fully agree (although mine is a '14 Ram 3500 which I really like). I've towed our Pinnacle 8,000 miles in the past 15 months - a couple of points I'll emphasize. 1) stability is great in multiple scenarios -- strong cross-winds, rain, and down the mountains in 7%+ grade. The extra stability in those scenarios (plus the safety margin in the event of a rear-wheel blowout) are why I won't tow with anything less. 2) if you have a spouse or other that will be driving it when you unhook and want to go to town or go exploring, have them go with you and test drive it also. My wife was comfortable with the DRW, and bought into the stability improvements - so it was an easy decision. Yes - there have been a few times where it was a tight fit (finding parking in a tourist-filled town in the summer, or going through Smuggler's Notch in Stowe, VT. But patience and walking a little further have solved all of those problems. Even with a crew cab long bed DRW - as big as it gets for a pickup.
Just what this person said, a DRW. Is what I would steer u to, I like chevy, I tow a eagle loaded, my gross is 22,000 I have added airbags, bed size is 6.6 in length, I have an aux fuel tank of 50 gals, along with a heavy duty towing package, no problems, the trl weight loaded is about 12,750 ish, the trk is a 2500 hd diesel, I am at my safe limit, point is if I had not stole the new trk (35,000), I would get the 3500, dodge has stepped up there game, just retired from trucking 22 yrs over the road, the one other to get is a tire pressure system for your 5th wheel that's a must have, in my opion 450 my be to much over kill, last yr I traveled the east coast 3,000 miles no problem, and this yr when done it will be another 12,ooo miles, no real issues in the 2500. I have a demco auto slide hitch, which I recommend, it tightens up your turning and backing radius by a lot making things easier by a good bit
Puddle Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Not a 5er guy, just towing a smaller TT and watching this thread.

Just curious with those who are towing these LARGER 5er's, I assume when refueling that you are able to use the trucker pumps.

I'm on the side of get the best you can afford. Bigger is better especially if you plan to upgrade to a larger, if possible, 5er in the future.
Yes, we use the pumps in the back if there is NO RV island out front.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote