Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #1

Ford Trailer TPMS set-up

Have any F250 or F350 recent model year ('17 - '19) owners installed the Ford compatible trailer tire pressure sensor system that connects to the dashboard information center? I have seen kits that are only compatible with specific rims and valve stem hole diameters. Also interested in learning the specifics of connecting that ttpms system on a 5th wheel Jayco
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:05 PM   #2

I'm wondering the same thing. 2019 F250 with ultimate trailer tow pkg. Jayco 28.5 rsts (16" wheel upgrade) on order.
I want to run everything through the Ford hardware, no add-on screens.
Will the TPMS sensors fit my wheels and work through my tires?
Has anybody found a way to route the camera wires through the trailer, instead of outside?
Is there an option to put the Ford camera in "observation" mode while driving?
Cincinnati Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #3

I'm trying this again after a rather detailed reply only to have it disappear when I tried to post it!
If you have a '19 HT 5th wheel on order, it will come prepped for the rear camera, the wires are already run to the back wall and there will be a mounting bracket for a camera.
On your F250 if you ordered the "Rear Camera - Customer-Placed Trailer Camera" option or the "Rear Camera - Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed Trailer Camera" option, you should get a package of parts that you have to install into your truck wiring harness at the rear bumper which will allow you to hook up the camera wires to your trailer. I've heard many buyers had to inform the Ford dealer that the package should accompany the truck at delivery time. Many dealers are not well versed on this!
I've heard the rim mounted internal trailer TPMS sensors only fir certain rims, and I'm not convinced the Jayco rims are a match. There are 3rd party vendors that have sending units and various adapters to fit other rims. I don't believe we have to buy the actual Ford brand of sending unit. There is also the less preferable stem mounted sensor option. If you Google or YouTube this topic, you can find a lot of helpful information.
I do not think the trailer observation camera can be accessed while driving. It is my understanding it only works in conjunction with the back-up camera while in reverse.

I do not yet have either my F250 or my HT 30.5 CKTS ...both due to arrive in a few weeks.
Based on my Ford salesman's input, I did not order the rear camera option or the trailer tpms/rear camera option because he said the truck comes with the in dash trailer tpms in the info system. I'm not so sure he was correct, and hope when I take delivery he was!
On a different note: What have you learned about the height match-up between your HT and F250? I also ordered the 16" wheels on my HT, which raises the height a couple of inches, but I'm still cautiously optimistic I will have a level trailer when hooked up and with the 6" desired clearance above the bedrails. I will have the F250 Super Cab Short Bed 4X4 with 10,000 lb GVW package and the 5th wheel puck system. I will be using a B&W Companion sliding hitch w/ Ford puck. My research leads me to believe the hitch set at 17" height will work for my hookup.
What hitch will you be using? Do you have a short bed?
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
Old 03-06-2019, 02:00 PM   #4

We have our new 250, but still waiting for the Jayco. Yes, I like the Ford camera, but it's wired, and not bluetooth, so it looks like you have to run the wires either down the ladder and under the trailer, or over the roof. I don't like either of those ideas. I also don't like the idea that it only works in reverse. But I do like that it's integrated in the ford ultimate trailer tow package, which I have, and I don't have to put in any additional gadgets in the cab. Maybe I'll get a cheap observation camera later, and just shoot it out the back window of the trailer. So I think I'll buy the Ford TPMS and Camera combo kit, and try to find a way to hide those wires.
I got a companion Ford puck hitch, but not a slider. Our 5th wheel will have the Morryde sidewinder.
I also am wondering about the height of the hitch, but don't have the measurements I need. I think I'll put the hitch at the highest setting to pick up the trailer, then see how it measures. I got the 16" trailer tires too- but my truck is really tall, so I'm worried about getting the trailer close to level.
Also, I do believe that the trailer TPMS will show up on my Ford dashboard, according to the manual.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #5

I'm almost positive your HT will have the camera prep wiring and mounting bracket or base at the top of the rear wall, the Ford camera should attach and connect to that.
All you will need to do is install the new wiring harness on the truck and then run the wire trailer wiring harness back to your trailer and connect to the Jayco camera wire harness that should be in your front compartment somewhere near the battery box.
If your truck was not delivered with the wiring harness you should be able to go back to your dealer and argue for them to provide it to you....my understanding is that it is included in the $750 charge for that option. Of course, the dealer may argue otherwise.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
I'm almost positive your HT will have the camera prep wiring and mounting bracket or base at the top of the rear wall, the Ford camera should attach and connect to that.
All you will need to do is install the new wiring harness on the truck and then run the wire trailer wiring harness back to your trailer and connect to the Jayco camera wire harness that should be in your front compartment somewhere near the battery box.
If your truck was not delivered with the wiring harness you should be able to go back to your dealer and argue for them to provide it to you....my understanding is that it is included in the $750 charge for that option. Of course, the dealer may argue otherwise.
I hope that's the case, but from videos I've seen, the Jayco camera prep is just a power cord, not video- the Ford camera has a cable with several wires in it that needs to go from the back of the trailer to the back bumper of the truck. If it was bluetooth, it would be easy, just use the power cord that's already in the Jayco camera prep.
Yes, my truck has all the proper jacks in the bed and at the bumper..
Old 03-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Ist View Post
Have any F250 or F350 recent model year ('17 - '19) owners installed the Ford compatible trailer tire pressure sensor system that connects to the dashboard information center? I have seen kits that are only compatible with specific rims and valve stem hole diameters. Also interested in learning the specifics of connecting that ttpms system on a 5th wheel Jayco
I installed it on a 2018 Lariat. The TPMS sensors must be a standard size as they worked perfectly on the 14” wheels on my camper. When I bought my kit I think there was only one hole size. Anyway it (and the extra camera) works great.
Psdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:54 PM   #8

There’s a couple miss informations here.
You have to use the Ford supplied camera wire with the Ford trailer camera. There is no wiring harness supplied by Jayco to the front of the trailer. Even if there was it wouldn’t work with the Ford camera. Jayco gives you nothing more then a power wire behind the middle marker light. It is for the optional wireless camera system if you order it from Jayco, or any other wireless system you choose.

If you didn’t order the optional trailer tow camera/TPMS setup from Ford (I forget if it is part of the Ultimate tow) then you won’t have the harness to attach the new 7 pin trailer connector that comes in the Ford kit....and you wouldn’t be able to add the harness, as the trucks cameras are wired differently depending on the camera setup you ordered.
The truck salesman was right... you have tire pressure on the screen in the truck, for the truck tires only, unless you ordered the optional trailer cam/TPMS. If you didn’t, you won’t have it.

I am almost positive the new tire stems for the Ford TPMS don’t fit the NorthPoint/Pinnacle rims. Maybe things have changed since 2017.

Yes there is a mod to make the Ford Ultimate camera system to stay on which ever camera you want to stay on. It’s around $500.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
There’s a couple miss informations here.
You have to use the Ford supplied camera wire with the Ford trailer camera. There is no wiring harness supplied by Jayco to the front of the trailer. Even if there was it wouldn’t work with the Ford camera. Jayco gives you nothing more then a power wire behind the middle marker light. It is for the optional wireless camera system if you order it from Jayco, or any other wireless system you choose.

If you didn’t order the optional trailer tow camera/TPMS setup from Ford (I forget if it is part of the Ultimate tow) then you won’t have the harness to attach the new 7 pin trailer connector that comes in the Ford kit....and you wouldn’t be able to add the harness, as the trucks cameras are wired differently depending on the camera setup you ordered.
The truck salesman was right... you have tire pressure on the screen in the truck, for the truck tires only, unless you ordered the optional trailer cam/TPMS. If you didn’t, you won’t have it.

I am almost positive the new tire stems for the Ford TPMS don’t fit the NorthPoint/Pinnacle rims. Maybe things have changed since 2017.

Yes there is a mod to make the Ford Ultimate camera system to stay on which ever camera you want to stay on. It’s around $500.
That's good info. Now does anyone know a good way to hide the Ford camera wire going from the front of the trailer to the back? I've seen people wrap the wire around the ladder rail, then go under the frame, and I've seen people run it across the roof and down through a rectangular vent. Would be better if I could find a way to hide it completely. I don't have the trailer yet, but should have it by the end of the month, so I'm ordering the camera / TPMS combo kit to be ready when it gets here.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #10

Klassic:
Thanks for the clarification on both the Jayco and Ford details. I have been told from salesmen for both Ford and Jayco that wiring etc. is present and it turns out they are incorrect. (Example: my Ford salesman said all super duty trucks come with the Trailer TPMS on screen readout and that I did not need to order any optional package.)
It is always best to get information from owners who have actually performed the task of installing anything like this. This is a good example of why this Forum is a big help!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #11

Nature1st.... Maybe you ordered the Ultimate Trailer Tow option, and that’s why your salesman told you that.
All the trucks have the ability (the modules are all there) but the wiring harness isn’t there. Wiring harnesses are VIN specific now.
I didn’t order the cam system and now I can’t add it because the harness isn’t there.
If you are hoping for it, want it, and didn’t order it specifically...I think you should have a talk with your dealer.
To get it you would need the actual camera and TPMS ordered too, it should have came up on his screen with a warning that the Ultamite Trailer Tow option needs to be ordered to get the optional camera/TPMS

I didn’t want another wire to deal with, and plug in, so I never ordered it. Had they of made the whole system a high end wireless, I would have been interested. But they would also have to made the cam viewable while moving and Ford has no interest in that liability. Also I’m pretty sure everytime you shift out of reverse, you have to press the button multiple times back to Trailer view...PITA.
Like many awesome features on these trucks, great feature...poorly implemented. Don’t get me started.

I did a whole wireless workaround myself. I can view my wireless trailer cam on the Sync screen while driving and the TPMS is Bluetooth to my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
11E3AA87-7A3E-4EA7-8351-2ABD93D73DDB.jpg  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
That's good info. Now does anyone know a good way to hide the Ford camera wire going from the front of the trailer to the back? I've seen people wrap the wire around the ladder rail, then go under the frame, and I've seen people run it across the roof and down through a rectangular vent. Would be better if I could find a way to hide it completely. I don't have the trailer yet, but should have it by the end of the month, so I'm ordering the camera / TPMS combo kit to be ready when it gets here.
I’ve never seen a Ford camera wire, so I don’t know how thick it is. I put my wire in the black vinyl cap strip that cover the screws that runs around the back side and top of the trailer. Ran down the side and it comes out of the vinyl then under the trailer in split loam. Can’t see it at all
Attached Thumbnails
7A213CEE-BF2A-457A-9CC7-87465DBF473A.jpeg   7B6772BB-8C7D-44D3-93A2-1676110D9D7C.jpeg  
Old 03-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Nature1st.... Maybe you ordered the Ultimate Trailer Tow option, and that’s why your salesman told you that.
All the trucks have the ability (the modules are all there) but the wiring harness isn’t there. Wiring harnesses are VIN specific now.
I didn’t order the cam system and now I can’t add it because the harness isn’t there.
If you are hoping for it, want it, and didn’t order it specifically...I think you should have a talk with your dealer.
To get it you would need the actual camera and TPMS ordered too, it should have came up on his screen with a warning that the Ultamite Trailer Tow option needs to be ordered to get the optional camera/TPMS

I didn’t want another wire to deal with, and plug in, so I never ordered it. Had they of made the whole system a high end wireless, I would have been interested. But they would also have to made the cam viewable while moving and Ford has no interest in that liability. Also I’m pretty sure everytime you shift out of reverse, you have to press the button multiple times back to Trailer view...PITA.
Like many awesome features on these trucks, great feature...poorly implemented. Don’t get me started.

I did a whole wireless workaround myself. I can view my wireless trailer cam on the Sync screen while driving and the TPMS is Bluetooth to my phone.
I would be very interested to know how you did a wireless workaround that still is viewable on the sync screen, even while driving! I assumed that Ford would nix any outside equipment.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #14

Here’s the thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...video-mod.html

I think a similar unit came up for sale in the US long after I got mine from Italy, but it was more money.
I also added a $50 front camera to the interface too. It’s a hundred times better resolution than the tailgate camera. Lol.
It blends right into the grill, can hardly see it.

The trailer camera is wired to a wireless transmitter at the front of the trailer in the propane compartment, and the receiver plugs into the interface. It all fits nicely behind the Sync screen.
I have a switch in the compartment beside the LevelUp controller, that turns the camera on and off.
When I hook up the trailer I turn it on, because I have to operate the jacks, and turn it off when I unhook because I’m in there operating the jacks.
No harm leaving the cam on, but it’s so easy to turn it on and off because I have to open the little door to operate the jacks.
Attached Thumbnails
6042F0A3-71FE-4177-AC81-EEABEB228408.jpeg   65DAA0EE-4FDA-4506-82A0-8C8EBAD5E1C4.jpeg   4143D1D6-DA6A-40CF-B172-B20A23BE667A.jpg  
Old 03-20-2019, 01:01 PM   #15

I have the ford system on my truck and love it. The TMPS works great and the rearview camera is perfect. Very easy set up and install
Cyclops69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:31 PM   #16

I am wondering about the warning levels for the FORD TPM system. Can you set the Low pressure level or do you have to use the Ford setting? Can the warning levels be different for the TV vs the TT?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 PM   #17

Regarding the hitch height question - I have a 2019 F-250 King Ranch Super Crew with the long bed [turning radius of a super tanker ] I ordered the Reese 16K fifth wheel hitch from the Ford factory. I think its height adjustable, but whatever it was installed at was a perfect match for our 2019 Jayco 30.5 MBOK.

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK
2019 Ford F-250 King Ranch diesel

2015 Jayco X23B (sold)
2008 Jayco 23B (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 King Ranch (sold)
Rayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:25 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops69 View Post
I have the ford system on my truck and love it. The TMPS works great and the rearview camera is perfect. Very easy set up and install
I have the Ford TPMS/trailer camera kit now, and am trying to figure out how to route the cable. I'm thinking drill above kingpin base, which puts the cable in the underbed storage, then back down through the floor into the front storage, then through that floor, follow the frame to the back, then try to hide the wire at the corner molding to the roof/ camera area. What do you think?
Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I have the Ford TPMS/trailer camera kit now, and am trying to figure out how to route the cable. I'm thinking drill above kingpin base, which puts the cable in the underbed storage, then back down through the floor into the front storage, then through that floor, follow the frame to the back, then try to hide the wire at the corner molding to the roof/ camera area. What do you think?
I don’t have the Ford camera, but that’s how I ran the wire for my camera.
My camera wire fit perfectly behind the corner moulding vinyl at the back. Fords wire might be thicker.
To take the top corner, the wire comes out and back into the top vinyl mounting and I caulked the holes. Can hardly see it.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #20

I have a 2017 F-350 with the trailer TPMS. Restrictions on the types of rims that the valves stems are the rim type (requires J-Type), width (minimum of 3.5" I think) and valve stem hole diameter (which I believe is pretty standard). They worked fine on my utility trailer.

A friend attempted to install on his Sierra 5th Wheel and the aluminum wheels were too thick to allow them to install correctly. The local tire shop disassembled the pressure sensors from the stems and replaced them with ones that would work with his thicker wheels.

Hope this helps.
TimK is offline   Reply With Quote