Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Frame Rust

I picked up a 2013 Eagle Premier, not previously owned from a local dealer. I noticed the frame had quite a bit of rust including the leaf spring hangers. The dealer is willing to take care of it for me. My question is are other people having an issue with the frame rusting?
Imnaha.Mansion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #2

A lot of these units are delivered during the winter. And even if they do a wash , its hard to clean the frame.
Peckwesterlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:38 AM   #3

Yes and you if you don't want to see any rust then sand it and touch it up with gloss black paint.I do believe Jayco mentions this in their manual.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM   #4

Latest issue.

Dropped the trailer off at the dealer to have them fix the frame rust. Last thing to be done before a summer of camping. Well that's what I thought anyway. Get a call from the dealer and another trailer hit the side of my trailer, damaging the side and Awning.

Now I have to wait for them to evaluate the damage, order parts and repair the trailer. Who knows how long that can take with dealer being at their busiest.
It was new. I'm vary avoid. It better be perfect when their done.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Not the phone call any of us want.

IMO you may want to go to the RV dealer to confirm the damage in person, and get your own pics for future reference.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Bob is right, check the damage for yourself. And double check the roof seem around the damage! If it damaged the awning, its real close to the roof line.
Peckwesterlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

I ordered my '14 321 Eagle Premier and it was delivered in July of '13. It had rust showing upon arrival. By September the frame showed major rust. My dealer said that they were not getting any positive feedback from Jayco but I might have better luck. A customer service person told me "that is the way it is today". The 6 year old unit I traded had no frame rust. Sad.
Lynn Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

That seems to be an industry wide problem, not just Jayco. Everyone tries to blame it on being pulled from the factory to the dealership when the roads are wet. That is just BS. I've had 10 year old vehicles with less rust than what I see on brand new RV's. If one trip down a wet road can cause this much rust, the trailers chassis is going to be nothing but a pile of rust in a very short time. The real problem is that they just don't care enough to protect them the way they should, and the prep and paint is of very poor quality. Really no excuse for it, and we shouldn't have to be dealing with it.

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:24 AM   #9

High quality paint, powder coating, etc. costs money that cuts into shareholder dividends. Everybody wants their 401k to show gains right? I sure do. This is how those gains are accomplished.

Wire brush, aluminum oxide cloth, primer, and a couple cans of Rust Oleum's finest and you'll be in business.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #10

The dealer to me, Jayco was not going to cover rusty frame repair, even though it's never been off the dealer lot. The dealer said they would repair it. I figure I will have to go over the dealer repair with rattle cans of automotive Undercoat. I keep an eye on it.

I understand the manufacturers want to save money but a quick spray of under coat wouldn't cost ghat much.

The vertical Awning arm was severely damaged and the roof gutter and battery hatch hinge. Didn't see any damage to the fiberglass only scuff marks.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
High quality paint, powder coating, etc. costs money that cuts into shareholder dividends. Everybody wants their 401k to show gains right? I sure do. This is how those gains are accomplished.

Wire brush, aluminum oxide cloth, primer, and a couple cans of Rust Oleum's finest and you'll be in business.
So we are supposed to just accept poor quality products just so shareholder dividends can show more profit??? Holy crap, you can't be serious! This is the root of America's decline. It's not like the cost wouldn't be passed on to the end users anyway.
Why should I have to spend my time, money and effort underneath my brand new, $30,000 RV to try to fix an issue that shouldn't be there to begin with?

Becky, Bob and Taylie & Bode
2009 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
His and Hers Polaris 570 Touring ATV's
2018 Polaris General 1000
Bobx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

I believe Undercoating should be standard. These units are vary expensive and isnt the idea that they travel in all kinds of weather.

I've also heard of a manufacturer that uses white Spray-on Truck Bed coating for maintenance free Roof. That would be nice too.
But I digress.