Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #1

Freezer cold refrigerator at 60 degrees

All, just came back from camping yesterday and plugged the 5th wheel back in. I this morning I noticed the breaker at the house was tripped and the unit was on battery power and had worn down the batteries. I reset the breaker and switched the refrigerator to propane and it started to cool. After the batteries charged for a while a switched it back to auto. When I came back home the freezer is very cold and have frost built up on the back wall so we are freezing, however the refrigerator still reads 60 degrees on the indicator and feels about 60 when you open the door. The cooling coils on the back wall of the refrigerator are not cold. Any ideas
rmorrison9773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorrison9773 View Post
All, just came back from camping yesterday and plugged the 5th wheel back in. I this morning I noticed the breaker at the house was tripped and the unit was on battery power and had worn down the batteries. I reset the breaker and switched the refrigerator to propane and it started to cool. After the batteries charged for a while a switched it back to auto. When I came back home the freezer is very cold and have frost built up on the back wall so we are freezing, however the refrigerator still reads 60 degrees on the indicator and feels about 60 when you open the door. The cooling coils on the back wall of the refrigerator are not cold. Any ideas
Where is the thermister located?. Should be on right side fins at the top is coldest.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #3

What brand of refrigerator
bearkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #4
CAG

Yes I have several. You might want to check all of the other threads related to fridges not cooling that have been posted in the last few weeks. A search will bring up several.

Most of the threads will cover the fact that the freezer will work fine. The fridge, on the other hand, will take hours to cool, and if it is above 85 outside, it will take hours longer. If it is over 100, it may never cool to safe temps.

Here is a start:https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-79107.html

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #5

It's a dometic, double door freezer on the top. It look like the thermistor is located on the inside top of the refrigerator not on cooling fins. But I may be suffering from the high outside temp issue
Old 08-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #6

Update

Update, shut the unit completely down last night and let it sit overnight. Fired it up about 8:00AM this morning and it has started to cool down from 60 to 51 at last check. I am running on LP just in case there is a input power issue