Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Freezing Up

I had two problems on my first winter trip in the 377RLBH. The suspension problem is discussed in another thread. The other problem is that my water froze at about 25 degrees. That concerned me as the 5th wheel is supposed to be good down to 0 degrees.

While trying to thaw out the lines, I turned the propane heater way up. That tripped some kind of switch in the heater. It took two days to find the switch, which I did thanks to a post here.

While I was in the pass thru storage trying to access the reset switch, I noticed a heater register in the compartment was closed. I opened it, reset the heater, and a short time later, the water thawed.

Is it possible that the closed register was the only reason the water froze?

PS - I left the heater set to 60 degrees minimum after the repair, and stayed unfrozen for 3 more days of cold weather in the 20's at night.
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #2

Yes it is....
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

Ours has a small dia heat tube running from the furnace into the underbelly as well as a vent in the basement storage area so not sure that closed vent alone would cause a freeze up. Were you running the fireplace or any other supplemental heat to keep the living area comfy? Doing so would keep the furnace from running and heating the underside.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Stingray75 - I also have the small tube, but it does not have much airflow when the heater is running. I can see why the register also needs to be opened.

I learned the hard way about not using an electric heater on my previous travel trailer. I thought I was being clever to use the campsites electricity instead of my propane. It did not work out so well.
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote