Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Fresh water dumping into black tank?

This is our second trip in our Eagle 5th wheel and we've had nothing but water problems since we got here! We checked the water pump and filled the tank before we left, everything was working perfectly and there was great pressure. Now the pump won't run, water sputters out of the faucet every so often then it's off again and it seems our fresh water tank is draining directly into the black water tank. Any ideas on how to fix this?
KThygesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #2

Are you dry camping?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #3

Post a picture of your valves so we can make sure they are set properly.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #4

Do you have a freshwater hose connected to your tank washer by mistake?

Old 08-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Sorry to hear of your challenges. There are a couple of things to look at. Did you overfill the tank? Some units when the tank gets overfilled the water coming out the spout creates a siphon effect and actually drains a significant portion of the fresh water. Is it possible a faucet was open and running while you travelled?

Your question about draining directly from the fresh tank to the black... There is no direct connection between the two there are only two sources of water to enter the black tank. The first is through the toilet and the second is through the black tank flush. On most new rigs it seems the black flush is right next to the fresh fill and the two ports are very poorly labelled. Based on your question I wonder if you filled the black tank instead of the fresh tank... You would not be the first or the last on this forum to do this.

Good luck!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

It may not be draining into the black tank but as many Jayco owners have discovered the fresh water tank tends to siphon itself out its own overflow tubes to the ground while driving. Many owners have installed shutoff valves.

The other issue of no water at the tap could be either that all of it has drained out as mentioned, or my thought is that there could also be a leak between the fresh water tank, pump, and tap(s). I would start by checking the lines and fittings in the wet bay with a tap on and a confirmed amount of water in the tank.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

We had a full water tank and empty black water when we arrived. Now we have a nearly full black tank and a nearly empty fresh tank. When the pump is on, it's running water(very quietly unlike when you turn on a faucet/flush the toilet) like it's filling up the hot water heater but we shut that off and figured it was just building pressure to the lines but then no water at all was coming out of the faucets. All faucets were off while we were driving as well. We're taking it into the dealer when we get back to see what's going on and to fix the rear stabilizers too.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #8

Is your toilet valve stuck partially open?

Also don't necessarily trust your black tank sensors.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KThygesen View Post
We had a full water tank and empty black water when we arrived. Now we have a nearly full black tank and a nearly empty fresh tank. When the pump is on, it's running water(very quietly unlike when you turn on a faucet/flush the toilet) like it's filling up the hot water heater but we shut that off and figured it was just building pressure to the lines but then no water at all was coming out of the faucets. All faucets were off while we were driving as well. We're taking it into the dealer when we get back to see what's going on and to fix the rear stabilizers too.
Your valves are the the incorrect position for fresh water tank as your source, and you also filled the black tank with fresh water using the flush connection.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #10

Post a picture of your valves

Old 08-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Your valves are the the incorrect position for fresh water tank as your source, and you also filled the black tank with fresh water using the flush connection.
How are the valves suppose to be nobody has trained us in that matter
Old 08-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #12

Post a picture of the colored valves in your docking station.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #13

Here's mine set for dry camping
Old 08-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

In this picture I have a brass elbow connected to the freshwater water inlet. To the right of that is the black connection for your tank washer.

Use the pictures above the valves to configure them based on what you want to do. It's all outlined in your owners manual as well.

I hope this helps [emoji41] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]

Old 08-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #15

Wondering how this turned out?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Wondering how this turned out?

I'm curious also. The operation of the valves is very clear to me. My wife has a mental block about them. They must use their brain differently.

That picture you posted is different from mine but I could hump all over it with that diagram.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #17

You should note what model Eagle you have. If it is an HT, it doesn't have the control panel (or valves) others are showing. But the water in and the black tank flush are on separate sides of the fifth, so hard to confuse.
If the pump runs, but you are sure all the water is off, then you have a leak. Since it is the black tank that is filling, it is has to be the toilet (which is the only thing that drains into the black tank, everything else goes to the gray tank(s)).
But - how long does this transfer take? A few hours, overnight, or a couple of days? If days, you may just be using up all of your water, and filling the black through normal use....
Old 08-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
You should note what model Eagle you have. If it is an HT, it doesn't have the control panel (or valves) others are showing. But the water in and the black tank flush are on separate sides of the fifth, so hard to confuse.
If the pump runs, but you are sure all the water is off, then you have a leak. Since it is the black tank that is filling, it is has to be the toilet (which is the only thing that drains into the black tank, everything else goes to the gray tank(s)).
But - how long does this transfer take? A few hours, overnight, or a couple of days? If days, you may just be using up all of your water, and filling the black through normal use....
The pump can also continue to run if the freshwater tank is empty and cannot build pressure or if there is a winterizing kit installed on the intake side and it is open.

I can dream up one situation where a leaky faucet could level the water in both the grey tanks and the black tanks at the same time, but it would have to be darn near intentional to make it happen and is highly unlikely in this situation.