Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

Fresh Water Overflow

Where on my 28.5 RSTS is the fresh water overflow?
Going on a boon docking trip soon and will be completely filling fresh water tank for the first time.
Thanks,
Lafitte
Lafitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

It may very well be different on your rsts but on our 27.5 rlts it is on the curbside a few feet in from the rear of the trailer just inside of the frame rail. More or less in line with the low point drain by the rear bumper.

Do be aware that once full and it starts flowing it may very well create a siphon and continue to drain the tank. That happened to us quite a few times where I would fill it then get to the campsite only to find I have a 1/3 of a tank of water left. Many have put a valve on the end of that hose. Just make sure that it is open during filling.

I complained about it to our dealer when it was in for warranty work I was told it is normal just fill up when you get there. I responded with that is fine as long as there is water where you are going but I wouldn't need to fill the tank before I left if there was water where I was going. When I picked it up they said they fixed it by rerouting the line higher up somewhere. I still have to pinch the hose when it is filled to stop it but once stopped it doesn't seem to start the siphoning anymore while underway
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #3

H2o

Thanks barryg.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryg View Post
It may very well be different on your rsts but on our 27.5 rlts it is on the curbside a few feet in from the rear of the trailer just inside of the frame rail. More or less in line with the low point drain by the rear bumper.
^^^ This (I have a 28.5).

It is a large-ish diameter, corrugated tube.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJay View Post
It is a large-ish diameter, corrugated tube.
I mis-remembered, it is a flattened, "sleeve"-like flexible tube, not corrugated.

I winterized yesterday so I was under there for the low-point drain.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #6

Back right corner.
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

When boon docking in the summer every drop of water counts. I will fill the tank until it overflows and then stick a cork in the overflow tube. When I get to the campsite I always take the cork out so the pump doesn't create any vacuum issues. If I don't use the cork sometimes I lose over 1/3 of the tank on the way there.
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
When boon docking in the summer every drop of water counts. I will fill the tank until it overflows and then stick a cork in the overflow tube. When I get to the campsite I always take the cork out so the pump doesn't create any vacuum issues. If I don't use the cork sometimes I lose over 1/3 of the tank on the way there.
Good idea. I usually fill mine until it overflows then wait for it to stop and then fill again until I just see the water start coming out. Not sure how full a tank I have this way as the OE tank gauges are pretty much useless.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #9

Thanks PlayersZ28,

My 27.5 RLTS does the same when filling my water tank. I mostly boondock and the last couple of times I showed up with a 1/3 or so of a tank left. I was really mad, but thank you for the info on getting it to stop. I will try that this next season.

2013 F350 SRW
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS

Dream it, Live it, Love it and Never Regret it!
MrWyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #10

H2O tank

Filled my tank prior to a recent trip. Plugged overflow tube with cork as recommended.
However , person who was following me said water was sloshing out back of unit whenever I stopped and restarted .
Water in rig lasted almost a week , (no showers , 3 men on hunting trip).Showers at CG.
?
I never trust gauges in an RV, so can't comment on them.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Old 12-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

On my previous trailer and my current one (both Jayco), I pulled the over flow out of the floor (underbelly) and routed it back up to the filler neck and connected to the air outlet port that is next to the filler cap.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

yes/no

That would be difficult on mine . The overflow tube is on the R rear and the fill is L midship.

2015 28.5 RSTS
2012 Ram 6.7L 2500 CCLWB
Old 12-19-2017, 03:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
the owners manual is pretty specific at least on mine that blocking this can cause failure of the water tanks due to built up pressure while traveling...

With that said the PO had put a valve on the end of the overflow to keep the water from flowing out.. and the tanks are just fine...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:03 PM   #14

Back right corner and make sure after you get water coming out you turn off the fill. Wait for 30 minutes and start filling again, this allows any air to settle so you get the tank completely full.
Chris
2017 Dodge Ram 2500, Laramie Longhorn, 4x4 Crewcab, 6.4L Hemi, 6' 4" Box, 3.73 Rear End, Dodge Air Bag System, Pullrite 16K, 2700 Hitch

Navy Veterian 🇺🇸 - Retired Nurse 💉
Chrisb-24 is offline   Reply With Quote