Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #1

Fresh water tank fell out

I have a 2014 23.5rbs eagle HD.
On my last trip I ran out of water which was strange as I had not used much. When I got to the dumb station grey water came pouring from under ther unit when I opened the drain. I looked under the unit and the fresk water tank had come off the supports and fallen on the front grey water drain tube and broke it.
Its now in my driveway with the fresh water tank hanging down on the under belly covering. The I have an appointment with the dealer on Tuesday but I'm worried they will be too busy to fix it. I'm going to try and remove the under belly cover and see what I can do.
scott23.5rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #2

Hmmm. Earlier this week a member reported their gray tank fell off. That unit was a 2013 267BHS Jay Flight swift.

Were the units out of warranty, yes, but I think both owners should contact Jayco.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Please keep us updated.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

When I was driving to my storage unit from my home (only 5 minutes away) I heard a loud thump. When I looked underneath TT I noticed one of the brackets/braces (front) on the FW tank fell off one side. The brace (large metal 2-3 inch strap) was kinda just dangling on one side. I took it to where I bought it (5 minutes away in other direction) and they fixed it for me since it was still under warranty. It was basically just a bolt that unscrewed from underneath.

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #5

I received a response from Jayco. Here it is

Good afternoon Scott ,

Thank you for contacting Jayco customer service. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your unit. Jayco stands behind the warrantable repair of our units within the warranty period as per the warranty guidelines. All warranties have expirations and limitations and our records show that this units warranty expiration date was on 1/16/16 and it is for this reason Jayco will respectfully decline participation in the repair of this unit. We are available for informative and technical assistance with all units outside of the warranty period.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott23.5rbs View Post
I received a response from Jayco. Here it is

Good afternoon Scott ,

Thank you for contacting Jayco customer service. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your unit. Jayco stands behind the warrantable repair of our units within the warranty period as per the warranty guidelines. All warranties have expirations and limitations and our records show that this units warranty expiration date was on 1/16/16 and it is for this reason Jayco will respectfully decline participation in the repair of this unit. We are available for informative and technical assistance with all units outside of the warranty period.
You may have gotten a different response from the Jayco of a few years ago before they were sold.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You may have gotten a different response from the Jayco of a few years ago before they were sold.
I'm not so sure about that. This is over 18 months past the warranty expiration. I've had companies cover things under warranty a few months past, but not this long after the fact. So their response doesn't surprise me.

I think I'm going to check my tanks straps this weekend...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I'm not so sure about that. This is over 18 months past the warranty expiration. I've had companies cover things under warranty a few months past, but not this long after the fact. So their response doesn't surprise me.

I think I'm going to check my tanks straps this weekend...
True, but they have been known to go above and beyond in the past. But a good point, it may still have been denied.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #9

Out of warranty should not matter. This is a material design defect and I should not have to pay after shelling out in excess of 33k for a 5th wheel. Imagine a gasoline tank falling off a 3 year old car.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:59 PM   #10
Site Team

I have been told by many that the straps are not there to support the tank. It is mounted on a "shelf" on each side. the straps are there to hold it in place during building. Also the tank expands and contracts depending on how much liquid is in it.

I know several friends who had this happen and the unit was out of warranty and they just had it reinstalled.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Out of warranty should not matter. This is a material design defect and I should not have to pay after shelling out in excess of 33k for a 5th wheel. Imagine a gasoline tank falling off a 3 year old car.
If enough register with the proper oversight committee it could become part of a recall as I am sure the tanks coming loose on a highway could lead to a traffic nightmare. Warranty or not, if the supports holding our tanks in are going to fail they will need to replace them.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

We have a 2013 Greyhawk 31fs. Last fall I was doing a check of the underbelly and noticed that the black tank supports had rusted off where they were bolted to the frame. Took the unit to the dealer and they replaced the supports with thicker metal. Definitely something to be aware of.

~ Liz
Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #13

I'm going to start the repair. My first step is to cut the underbelly covering because the tank has it pinned against the axle. If anyone has comments about what Im doing please share. I feel like I need a lot of advice.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #14

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your issue, and it's too bad jayco won't step up.

But it's time to get her fixed and put it in the rear view mirror so you can enjoy your camper again.

Over the years I've had my fresh water tank out several times and it's not to bad of a job to reinstall. Biggest pain is laying on the ground( I did mine on gravel driveway ). Pick a level spot and throw some cardboard down to lay on.

You may also need a helper to assist holding the tank while you slide angle iron supports in place.

If you have the plastic board enclosed underbelly , that is going to be your biggest pain in the butt to deal with. I ended up struggling to properly secure it when I finished with the tank and I just left it off
Diggerdan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:05 PM   #15

I'm going to have to cut it to get it removed. Its pinned to the axle.
I'm also worried the little spickets on the tank broke and replacing them may not be possible.
Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #16

Quote:
True if it happened to many, but if it's an isolated incident how can it be a design failure?
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm going to start the repair. My first step is to cut the underbelly covering because the tank has it pinned against the axle. If anyone has comments about what Im doing please share. I feel like I need a lot of advice.
Gorilla tape works to re secure the coroplast after you cut it. Try not to cut it all the way across, try to make an access door if possible. Also cut carefully so you don't cut the tank.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
snip... f it happened to many, but if it's an isolated incident how can it be a design failure?
In reality, this site has a small % of Jayco owners. That's why I believe it should be reported to Jayco, even if they won't warranty it. There's no way I know of to get an idea of how many times this has happened to non-forum members. Hopefully Jayco will.

Further, if Jayco and other RV manufacturers follow similar construction methods, maybe other manufacturers have similar issues.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksVenturingSouth View Post
We have a 2013 Greyhawk 31fs. Last fall I was doing a check of the underbelly and noticed that the black tank supports had rusted off where they were bolted to the frame. Took the unit to the dealer and they replaced the supports with thicker metal. Definitely something to be aware of.

~ Liz
This post indicated that the straps rusting did not cause the tank to fall. It sits on a angle iron shelf that should be obvious when you get an eye on it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #20

I for one never move my rig with full tanks unless I am driving to the dump station. Would not think of traveling with full tanks, even fresh water tank. Fill up when I get close if I need it.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote