Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Fresh water tank/Low point drain question

I found 2 low point drains on my fifth wheel. They are up near the front, and are behind an access panel. Makes sense. But there is also another set near the back of trailer, they come through the underbody cover just ahead of the fresh water tank. The fresh water tank is a big one and has two low point drains to drain it out, would these other two lines I'm seeing be vents perhaps to help in draining fresh tank? Or could they be overfill lines that let water out if tank is plumb full? I could not find low point drain valves anywhere inside or out for them, so I don't think that's what they are. By the way it's a 2014 33.5rets fifth wheel.

bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

I have two stubs of hose that stick out of the belly as well, they are overflow tubes on the fresh water tank.

They also allow air into the tank as you fill it and prevent back flow

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

Good to know and a good idea, thanks for the quick response!
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #4

low point drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcmorr View Post
I found 2 low point drains on my fifth wheel. They are up near the front, and are behind an access panel. Makes sense. But there is also another set near the back of trailer, they come through the underbody cover just ahead of the fresh water tank. The fresh water tank is a big one and has two low point drains to drain it out, would these other two lines I'm seeing be vents perhaps to help in draining fresh tank? Or could they be overfill lines that let water out if tank is plumb full? I could not find low point drain valves anywhere inside or out for them, so I don't think that's what they are. By the way it's a 2014 33.5rets fifth wheel.
The two in the rear are for the fresh water tank to drain. The two plugs you pull up front behind the access panel are the low point drains in the inside lines. Always drain those when you winterize. I made it a point to leave the screws out of that access panel and just put the panel behind the carpeted wall. It will stay in place very well and you don't have to remove the screws every time you want to get in there. We actually had to cut a big access hole there to remove the furnace to replace a control board. Seems like you are really having fun now checking out that new unit. We just got back from a week long trip and will probably be going again in another week. Retirement is great.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

On our first trip out this weekend with our Eagle HT 27.5 bhs as I was filling the water tank it began to leak out one of the labeled low point drains in the rear so I figured it was a vent and that the tank was full so I stopped filling. Got to the camp site and set up. Checked the fresh level and it was only 2/3 full. Not sure why it started leaking at 2/3 full if it's a vent and if it's a vent why it's labeled a low point drain on the side of the trailer.
jackofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofall View Post
On our first trip out this weekend with our Eagle HT 27.5 bhs as I was filling the water tank it began to leak out one of the labeled low point drains in the rear so I figured it was a vent and that the tank was full so I stopped filling. Got to the camp site and set up. Checked the fresh level and it was only 2/3 full. Not sure why it started leaking at 2/3 full if it's a vent and if it's a vent why it's labeled a low point drain on the side of the trailer.
Ours did that too. It creates a siphon effect and the water pours out of the vents until your at 2/3 or less. I extended my vents and put caps I can reach and close them while I'm getting to the site Others on here had the same problem..
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

So unless you mod it you can't get it full?
Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

water leaking from vent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackofall View Post
If it is labeled a low point drain, then it is not a vent. The low point drain will have a valve to open and close. Sounds like the valve may not be closed all the way. You will have a vent tube coming from the fresh water fill tank but it will not be labeled. Probably sticking down from the floor someplace with putty all around it and no valve. You should be able to find the valve pretty easy for the low point drain.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:10 PM   #9

Exactly what I thought. However, I searched high and low for a valve. I could see none to be found (no access panels like the front etc) except for the drain valve on the actual fresh water tank drain and that was definitely closed. The labels are on the side of the trailer. Without looking at it and going by memory there is the fresh water drain (maybe that's one of the two labeled "low point drains" and two additional sets of tubes that have no valve that I can find. One of those sets are are the ones that are leaking when getting the tank full.

I don't believe it's a low point drain as it was only draining at 2/3 full which makes no sense at all for a low point drain even if the valve was not fully closed.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #10

In my 30.5RLs, the low point drain valves are behind a metel plate, up in the basement, next to the knife drain valves and fresh water connection points

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote