Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #1

Fridge not getting cold

We have a 2017 31rlok. Went camping this weekend and noticed on Saturday that the fridge was not staying cold. Tried it on electric and lp. The coldest I could get the fridge was 42 degrees. That was on level 9 also. It use to freeze things on the top shelf when we had it on lower levels. Any ideas on why it may be doing this.
Jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #2

Possibly the RV/fridge not as level as on prior trips?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #3

Unhook the thermistor. The fridge will run continually and cool way down and maybe freeze. If it does that, the fridge is ok and the thermistor needs replaced. If not, the cooling unit could be damaged.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #4

It was level. I always keep it level. Thanks though
Old 07-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

I’m assuming I would unhook that on the outside of the fridge? Should show it in the book?
Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The thermistor is mounted on the aluminum fins inside the frig...., just unplug the wire connection (keep the thermistor in the same location...., for now).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc View Post
We have a 2017 31rlok. Went camping this weekend and noticed on Saturday that the fridge was not staying cold. Tried it on electric and lp. The coldest I could get the fridge was 42 degrees. That was on level 9 also. It use to freeze things on the top shelf when we had it on lower levels. Any ideas on why it may be doing this.
I bet it's just the hot weather recently...make sure you don't put anything in the rv frige that hasn't already been cooled, don't over fill the frige so air can circulate, don't open the door for long periods, place a small fan inside to circulate the air (RV places sell these and they are battery operated), place a small fan in the back from outside to help air flow over outside coils.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc View Post
I’m assuming I would unhook that on the outside of the fridge? Should show it in the book?
What model fridge do you have? The 1200 4 door the thermistor is part of the interior light and you just unhook the wiring connector near the light.

The parts break down in the manual would show the thermistor.

Earl
Old 07-17-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

That’s the one we have. And your correct. That’s where it plugs in at. Thanks for the help
Old 07-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #10

Didn't believe it until I tried it. My fridge would only get to about 40 degrees. It was suggested that I check the position of the thermistor on the cooling fins. If its at the lower end, move it towards the upper end. I did this and was amazed because I was actually able to get the fridge down to 34 degrees. Someone also suggested adding outside cooling fans to move the air across the cooling fins. They said you should be able to get it even cooler. Anyone have any ideas as to where you can get those cooling kits?
Old 07-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
Didn't believe it until I tried it. My fridge would only get to about 40 degrees. It was suggested that I check the position of the thermistor on the cooling fins. If its at the lower end, move it towards the upper end. I did this and was amazed because I was actually able to get the fridge down to 34 degrees. Someone also suggested adding outside cooling fans to move the air across the cooling fins. They said you should be able to get it even cooler. Anyone have any ideas as to where you can get those cooling kits?
Not all RV fridges have the thermistor on the fins. That's normally a Dometic thing. Not sure if norcold puts any on the fins.

Earl
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1 View Post
I got my fan from Amazon
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Not all RV fridges have the thermistor on the fins. That's normally a Dometic thing. Not sure if norcold puts any on the fins.

Earl
The single door models have it on the fins.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote