Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Front basement generator storage

I am in the process of purchasing a 2013 Eagle 33.5RETS and was looking at the front basement for an aftermarket generator and I have several questions.

1) I would assume that there is some kind of soundproofing installed in the basement walls when it has a factory generator, anybody know if that can be purchased from Jayco or have a suggestion for a good alternative

2) What is the weight limit on the steel floor of the basement compartment? My current generator weighs in at 108lbs and the next size up will weigh significantly more, I would hate to have it fall out running down the road.

3) Does anyone know if a unit can be retrofitted so that the generator is tied into the electrical system so it can be used without having the basement door open with the cord running out to the side plug?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
rpmeyersatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #2

I suspect there is more to just sitting a generator in the pass thru storage area and hooking it up. The area will have to be sealed with the lower floor open for drainage of spills. The generator exhaust will have to be routed to the bottom area pointing away from the trailer. Of course you will want to soundproof the walls.

The only bad side to this "for me" would be your bedroom is probably close to being right above it which really would make me "VERY" nervous with having the deadly carbon monoxide CO poisoning fumes possibility of leaking into the bedroom area. This could be a very dangerous situation for you...

Stuff happens no mater how good it is installed...

just my thoughts
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #3

I'm with RoyBraddy. I think the carbon monoxide situation could be much more dangerous than the weight on the steel floor. I know this didn't address any of your questions but just had to respond

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #4

Go with a lp generator and do away with most noise and no exhaust.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #5

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
I understand that LP generators really burn through the fuel. The "built in" generators I have seen have an additional sheet metal box built into the forward compartment to seal off the sound and fumes from the rest of the trailer. If installed properly I would be no more concerned about the possible emissions in the bedroom than I would be of fumes from the propane furnace or the fridge running on propane. Having a built in generator is a great way to go if you have the space and the $$ to do it. I have 2 honda 2000 watt inverter generators and I am happy with them but is is a pain in the back side to hoist them out of the front compartment and set them up. Would much prefer something built in. As for the weight limit on the front compartment floor..... I carry the 2 hondas a folding table, 2 folding recliners, 2 collapsible chairs and a plastic patio rug. Total weight about 150#. I believe that the floor is quite sufficient to hold a reasonable size generator.

Good luck with your new toys

On Edit: You are talking about a regular RV type built in genny aren't you? If you are talking about mounting a large job site type of genny I would not advise that at all.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #6

Thanks Panhead. I currently have a 4K Champion but have considered upgrading to a 5.5K if necessary. Either one is actually lighter than the Onan gen sets I have looked at.

The CO problem should be a nonissue as Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air and settles downward, I will also be figuring out some way of venting exhaust, possibly by utilizing the 2" battery vents that are already there and an electric fan to pull air through the compartment.

The front basement is already designed for a generator with a steel tray floor that looks like a drop in so I am not too worried about drainage of spills either. My biggest concern is soundproofing it so that I don't disturb others nearby and can actually sleep with it just below and behind the bedroom. The next concern is the fuel system. There won't be a lot of room for pouring gas into the top of the tank and lifting it in and out will be a PITA. I'm thinking about a portable tank like used in small boats running to the fuel intake bypassing the top mounted tank altogether.
rpmeyersatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmeyersatx View Post
Thanks Panhead.

The CO problem should be a nonissue as Carbon Monoxide is heavier than air and settles downward, I will also be figuring out some way of venting exhaust, possibly by utilizing the 2" battery vents that are already there and an electric fan to pull air through the compartment.

There won't be a lot of room for pouring gas into the top of the tank and lifting it in and out will be a PITA. I'm thinking about a portable tank like used in small boats running to the fuel intake bypassing the top mounted tank altogether.
Man...I gotta tell you... what you are talking about is scaring me!!! I can't believe no one else is saying what a dangerous situation this could be. Seriously, please re-think what you are talking about doing. The generator you are talking about is going to put out a tremendous amount of toxic fumes, not to mention the heat!
From what I know about this, the front area is designed for a propane onan-type generator properly installed by someone trained in this area. The front area can be used to transport a generator but is not the place to run one. For safety's sake, please check with your qualified dealer's service department (not the sales department), who knows about these things and not exclusively from comments on this forum. IMHO

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #8

Front basement generator storage

I have another idea for you.

I have seen generators mounted on heavy duty sliders. They pull out of the storage space but stay on the sliders and run that way.

Makes it so there is no lifting, it's out in fresh air, and a little less noise inside.
G Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #9

I guess they have really changed the designs then. My 1998 Designer is made with the generator to be installed in the left (looking nose on) storage which has a vented door, opened floor for CO2 escape, and all wrapped in metal; with the right storage as a split gasoline/storage. I have a gasoline line that passes through the wall into the gen compartment, so no worries about filling/spilling there, and the gasoline tank is easily accessible for filling with a standard 5 gallon can. All this is directly below the bedroom. Our unit did not come with a gen factory installed, but the wiring, etc. is all there. All I have to do is buy a quiet model and install.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext. Cab Short Box 4x4 6.0L
1998 Jayco Designer 2930RKS
Copperlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 11:30 AM   #10

I'm thinking about doing exactly what your talking about. putting a long slide in my basement compartment of my 30.5 ckts so i can just roll it out and hook it to my propane tank. I have a champion duel fuel. I would be very uncomfortable running that with the door closed or the generator inside. My problem today is that i can't find the dimensions on the basement opening, and I want to pick up a basement slide tray. Dealer is waiting on parts so i can't pick up my 5th until next week. I am itching to get going on it, or make a new plan!
fireflyf32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:39 PM   #11

Front slide out tray with a temporary cover (roof) to be used as a rain shield during bad weather. Also a small portable fan to keep generator from overheating during multiple days of running in extra hot temperatures. Yes they will overheat if they are ran for 2-3 days solid in my Florida summer temperatures without a fan to help them run cooler…..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:05 AM   #12

As a retired firefighter, I can tell you that CO will fill any contained space before it sinks to the ground. Believe me, I have pulled enough bodies out of cars, trucks, RVs and houses to know that most that attempt to control or vent CO from a DIY perspective usually fail.

Save yourself and your family a trip to the morgue and just get a portable that you can set outside.
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:39 AM   #13

We have a 2015 Eagle hauling 3500 Champion around in front storage for 7 years no problem. Did add additional bolts attached too front frame. Put a piece of plywood at angle on floor for easier access. It is still heavy loading and unloading. Did provide fresh air access for ventilation while in storage. Always operate genny out of storage area away from camper Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmeyersatx View Post
Thanks Panhead. I currently have a 4K Champion but have considered upgrading to a 5.5K if necessary. Either one is actually lighter than the Onan gen sets I have looked at.

The front basement is already designed for a generator with a steel tray floor that looks like a drop in so I am not too worried about drainage of spills either. My biggest concern is soundproofing it so that I don't disturb others nearby and can actually sleep with it just below and behind the bedroom. The next concern is the fuel system. There won't be a lot of room for pouring gas into the top of the tank and lifting it in and out will be a PITA. I'm thinking about a portable tank like used in small boats running to the fuel intake bypassing the top mounted tank altogether.

I'm sure you'll catch some grief if you're discussing a construction type portable generator vs. inverter generators. Beyond the weight, they suck gasoline, they're noisy and fumes galore. Most camp sights won't allow them and/or there will be a noise limit or time constraint. All that said, if you fire proof, dampen the sound and ventilate so you don't choke on the fumes - it's just a matter of keeping fuel in it. You can rig up a couple gerry cans to a 1/2 hose and let the generator gravity feed off of it.

If it were me and I had an old school generator like that, I'd stick it on a trailer hitch/cargo carrier so it's away from everything. Build a box with vents to cover it and it's right next to where you feed the shore power - easy peasy! Good Luck!