Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #1

Front Cap Fade with High Gloss Option.

Just curious who had a fade issue and if so, did you go with the high gloss option at build?
I opted for it and have not had an issue with the dark colored cap as of yet.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Don't believe they have had problems with the 2014 models, my 2013 Eagle is in the shop at this time, from what iv'e read here on this forum, it's not a clear coat problem, it was a problem in the base coat paint! Mine was just about up on my 2 yr. factory warranty, I climbed up on top and seen it was beginning on the top of the cap and ready to start downward! I called Jayco and gave them a list of items I need to have done along with the repainting of the cap. I mentioned to them I had seen here on this forum where they have had to repaint a bunch, and one person here said they asked to be able to have the color changed to the same white as the sides or a much lighter brown to keep the bedroom from getting so hot and they said that they could have the color changed but if it wasn't the same as the stock color they wouldn't warranty the new paint on the cap. I am asking to have it changed to a very light beige brown to help keep the heat out of my bedroom!!! Best thing for you to do is to climb up on top and check cause thats where it will start first!!! Jayco even stepped up and covered a few that were actually past their 2 yr. warranty time.
Happy camping and Merry Christmas
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #3

My 2014 eagle is getting repainted and in shop now. Sounds like it'll be two coats of the same brown. Glad they repair it no questions asked, looking forward to see how it turns out. The corner of the front cap had some hairline cracks, didn't hear if it was just the gel coat or the cap itself.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Did either of you go with the "high gloss" option? I am curious if this has any effect on the preservation of the shine vs not going with it.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Paints today are done in two stages, 1- step is the base coat or color, 2- step is the clear coat which is the gloss that give it the deep glossy shine.
Rhumphers9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #6

On my options sheet it says hi gloss ivory sidewall for $143
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

The front caps aren't painted. It's a gel coat. Even if you get the High Gloss option it wouldn't pertain to the front cap because it's not painted. Right?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #8

2014 are having issues with that. I just had my done. It's Clear coat.
Touch N Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
Site Team

The oxidized GEL coat can not be painted over or the paint will end up the same way. The GEL coat has to be removed down to the fiberglass before it can be painted. I was one of the first to have the cap stripped down and painted. At the time JAYCO either approved replacing the front cap or stripping it down and painting it. Mine was not replaced. I told JAYCO that the outer skin of the dark cap was reaching temperatures over 200 degrees (sent JAYCO pictures of a laser temp gun) and that was radiating into the front bedroom where the inside of the closets was 148 degrees. They authorized the service center to repaint the cap the same color as the TT's side (much lighter color) but they would not warranty the paint job. No problem for us, the 2 year Jayco warranty was just about up and the service center has a 5 year warranty on the new paint job. Win-win situation for us. The temperature of the new light color painted cap is 119 degrees in the sun, and very little heat is radiated into the front bedroom. Well worth the lighter paint.

My only suggestion is that if ANYONE has any sign of oxidizing on the TOP of the cap, send Jayco pictures so that it is documented, before your 2 year warranty is over.

Very happy,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #10

bcmorr, wow, can't believe you are having fading problems. You got your unit well after mine if I remember correctly and I have been lucky I guess. No problems whatsoever, so far!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote