Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #21

Boat builders have been using gel coat products that have been optimized for UV protection for years. It's probably a bit more expensive but the repaint can't be cheap especially when plied over many, many trailers that probably will need it. Go figure...?
Old 09-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #22

I wish my cap was on a 2015 FW, maybe it would get fixed. Story follows. Bought the 2012 HT 26.5 RLS in January 2012. Had it replaced in the fall of 2012 due to a crack in the cap right above the driver-side running light. Fat forward to 2013 and dumb me apparently hit something slightly stronger than the cap and cracked and rippled it in a pretty big place. Got it replaced in the fall of 2013, not by Jayco but with insurance. Now, this spring, 2016, I go out and see a bunch of fading, try to clean it, wax it, etc. and no luck. Send a note to Jayco in hopes of some kind of goodwill help, but to no avail. I even asked if they might participate in some small way with the fix and didn't even get a reply. Do any of you know of someone I might call to see if they might participate in some small way to help me or am I totally out of luck?
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #23

Most paint shops offer a pretty good warranty, so whomever you had do the work may step up.
I think the body shop that just painted mine gives at least a 5 year warranty.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #24

I have the model as yours and have the same problem.
tym2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #25

This has become a very common problem for Jayco (and others). My 30.5 MBOK faded out after 1.5 years. Jayco fixed it under warranty. Others have reported that they rejected coverage, even while still under warranty. My worry is that it will happen again so I'm trying to come up with a cap cover that will protect it from future UV damage. Might go with Bugg Banner, however it's a little pricey,
1carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #26

It is crazy to me that Jayco is covering years old trailers, when I haven't been able to get them to accept a claim for my 6 month old trailer.

Their customer service is lacking. Maybe they really have hired high school kids to provide answers or something. I don't even think they actually read the questions, since the answers have nothing to do with the questions. I ask five questions and I get back, "I think there is a misunderstanding".

The cap fade seems to be hit and miss, as some have it and some don't.
Once it is finally re-painted, I will add a ceramic UV paint protection to it.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal0710 View Post
I wish my cap was on a 2015 FW, maybe it would get fixed. Story follows. Bought the 2012 HT 26.5 RLS in January 2012. Had it replaced in the fall of 2012 due to a crack in the cap right above the driver-side running light. Fat forward to 2013 and dumb me apparently hit something slightly stronger than the cap and cracked and rippled it in a pretty big place. Got it replaced in the fall of 2013, not by Jayco but with insurance. Now, this spring, 2016, I go out and see a bunch of fading, try to clean it, wax it, etc. and no luck. Send a note to Jayco in hopes of some kind of goodwill help, but to no avail. I even asked if they might participate in some small way with the fix and didn't even get a reply. Do any of you know of someone I might call to see if they might participate in some small way to help me or am I totally out of luck?

Looks like you have had 2 good will so to speak gestures already. Looks like strike #3..............
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
It is crazy to me that Jayco is covering years old trailers, when I haven't been able to get them to accept a claim for my 6 month old trailer.

Their customer service is lacking. Maybe they really have hired high school kids to provide answers or something. I don't even think they actually read the questions, since the answers have nothing to do with the questions. I ask five questions and I get back, "I think there is a misunderstanding".

The cap fade seems to be hit and miss, as some have it and some don't.
Once it is finally re-painted, I will add a ceramic UV paint protection to it.
Did you send them an email (service@jayco.com) with pictures of the issue with your VIN #, requesting their assistance?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Did you send them an email (service@jayco.com) with pictures of the issue with your VIN #, requesting their assistance?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
I have sent several emails, called and posted on the website email/contact. The only responses come from the web contact.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
I have sent several emails, called and posted on the website email/contact. The only responses come from the web contact.
Do you have an authorized JAYCO dealer near you? If so, call them and ask them if you can bring it in to have their paint/repair department take a look at it to see what it is and what needs to be done, based on previous cases.

I would not mention to the dealer that you have already talked to JAYCO regarding the warranty, and what they said. Let the dealer commit themselves one way or the other. If they feel it is a warranty issue, have them submit the pictures and paperwork to get JAYCO to take care of it.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Do you have an authorized JAYCO dealer near you? If so, call them and ask them if you can bring it in to have their paint/repair department take a look at it to see what it is and what needs to be done, based on previous cases.

I would not mention to the dealer that you have already talked to JAYCO regarding the warranty, and what they said. Let the dealer commit themselves one way or the other. If they feel it is a warranty issue, have them submit the pictures and paperwork to get JAYCO to take care of it.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
The local dealer is taking care of it, but Jayco cheaped out on them. Jayco hasn't even answered exactly what steps should be taken to correct the problem (even though that seems to be common knowledge on here). I am also afraid the work the dealer is doing will not be enough for a lasting repair, because Jayco forced them to find a lesser repair facility than they normally use.

This is a dealer that I didn't even buy it from, but I feel like they are truly a great company. Jayco not so much, at this point. . .
Old 05-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
The local dealer is taking care of it, but Jayco cheaped out on them. Jayco hasn't even answered exactly what steps should be taken to correct the problem (even though that seems to be common knowledge on here). I am also afraid the work the dealer is doing will not be enough for a lasting repair, because Jayco forced them to find a lesser repair facility than they normally use.

This is a dealer that I didn't even buy it from, but I feel like they are truly a great company. Jayco not so much, at this point. . .
Whom ever gets the job to do the work, demand pictures at each stage of the process. Make sure they send you pictures of the ENTIRE cap sanded down to the fiberglass, maybe even stop in a few times if they are not to far away.

Also get a copy of their paint warranty, ours was 5 years.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Whom ever gets the job to do the work, demand pictures at each stage of the process. Make sure they send you pictures of the ENTIRE cap sanded down to the fiberglass, maybe even stop in a few times if they are not to far away.

Also get a copy of their paint warranty, ours was 5 years.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
It is too late for that. It is painted now. Jayco forced the dealer into doing something. I have no idea as of now, if it was the right thing.