Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #1

Front Cap Oxidation on 2017 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS

I purchased my Jayco Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS in July 2017. Last month I noticed my front cap was fading. I took pictures and took my fifth wheel to the dealership where I purchased it. They also took pictures and sent everything in to Jayco. The cost of repair will be $3000.00. Jayco will only allow $2000.00 for the repair. I have called the Jayco warranty department twice in order to discuss the situation with them. The person who is handling my case will not talk to me on the phone and will not call me back. Any suggestions?
Wes C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:00 AM   #2

Don't leave messages. Sit on the line and wait for them. They are busy and returning phone calls is way down their list. Expect to wait on line minumum 30 minutes. The front cap oxidation seems industry wide from what I can see. Not enough clear coat.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
Site Team

The dealer does not want the warranty business. The average cost to redo a cap is around $2000. Take your business to another dealer. I bet you will get it done within the JAYCO $2000 limit.

At least call another dealer to see what they have to say.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #4

Thank you.
Wes C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 AM   #5

When I had a similar issue a few years ago, Jayco authorized the repair and all was made good. It was interesting that the dealer sent all of their "refinish paint" work to the auto refinishing plant next door. Many dealers I suspect do the same thing since they don't have the same refinishing capabilities in their own shop. In any case, Jayco will approve the work to be done by a non dealer and I agree with the other post that said you should be able to get the work done withing the Jayco allowance.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

I am not sure what percentage, but there are at least many people having similar issues:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-65323.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...del-38839.html

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...cap-66520.html

I had similar results with poor customer service. All the years I heard the Jayco was a little better quality, and had better customer service; That was not my experience. Not only did they lose me as a future customer, but they caused me to hate their company all for $500. All stories to repeat at the
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #7

We also have a 2017 28.5RSTS purchased in July 2017 with the front cap fade. It is still under warranty for a couple more weeks and we are waiting for a response from Jayco on the repair.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:09 AM   #8

I bought my 2017 28.5 used so Im SOL as far as warranty. I did notice what looks like my clear coat gone starting in the upper corners. (posted on a different thread a while back) So I got a can of exterior clear and gave the top 1/3 a few coats of clear. Time will tell how long it lasts. If I get a year out of it I will buy a cheap spray gun and paper/tape off and re-clear the whole front cap. I think if you keep up with the clear you wont get into the gel coat fad issues.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I bought my 2017 28.5 used so Im SOL as far as warranty. I did notice what looks like my clear coat gone starting in the upper corners. (posted on a different thread a while back) So I got a can of exterior clear and gave the top 1/3 a few coats of clear. Time will tell how long it lasts. If I get a year out of it I will buy a cheap spray gun and paper/tape off and re-clear the whole front cap. I think if you keep up with the clear you wont get into the gel coat fad issues.
My only point is, why not just spend $10 more and get a true automotive grade clear? That is the proper tools for the job, and a cheap investment.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #10

I have a advertisement from Jayco at location.

https://www.jayco.com/lfw-lp/pdf/fro...2RWGTlLbX7T_CI

that states : Most fifth wheels in the industry use paint-infused fiberglass front caps—which are can fade in the sun and develop a chalky feel months after purchase. We’ve eliminated these concerns on our Luxury Fifth Wheels with fully painted and clear-coated front caps. In fact, we’re one of the few companies in the industry that takes both of these extra steps to ensure that your caps look great for years to come.

Here is an article in The National Law Review stating that Express warranties such as the advertisement below are affirmative promises about the quality and features of the goods being sold. Illinois courts have found that brochures and advertisements may constitute express warranties.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article...ential-damages
Attached Thumbnails
Front cap.png  
and
2 Zuchons or ( Beesh&*s) named Maggie and Bullet
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote