Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Frost warning, Maxx air install and bathroom vent warning

Starting to see frost warnings for our area, so I decided to get the lines blown out while it was still semi pleasant outside. Used air and got all of the fixtures blown out, then disconnected the lower tube on the water heater to make sure that wasn't holding any water. Then went into the basement, emptied the strainer, pulled both hoses off the pump and made sure the pump was dry. Should be all set until we set out for the, hopefully warm, south the day after Christmas.

I also took advantage of the nice weather to swap the horrible bathroom fan/vent for a new Maxx air, Deluxe model 6200 with smoke lid. I had heard of others warning about cracks on the topside of the cheap factory vent. When I went up top to swap it out, I found that mine had cracks as well. Luckily, mine hadn't been leaking, but it would have been soon. I'll attach pictures below of what to look for.

As far as the swap, it was pretty easy. I was able to back out most of the screws without scrapping the factory sealant. The sealant was soft enough that I could push the bit into the screws. I pried the lid up, then scraped the sealant off the roof with a putty knife. The roofing membrane was pushing around as I did this. When I do the bedroom vent, I'll scrape the sealant before unscrewing the existing flange. I expect that the roof membrane will be less likely to move this way.

From there it was butyl caulk on the new flange, put it in place, screw it down and squeeze a tube of Dicor around the flange. The unit fit over the flange and screwed down easily. On the inside, I connected the two wires, got the beep from the unit as expected, and made some wind. Didn't even have to cut the trim ring. Took me about an hour to install and very happy!! Unit is very quiet and moves quite a bit of air even at the lower speeds.

I have a second unit that should finally ship this week that will replace the bedroom vent. We ordered the model 7500 for that one so that we'd have the remote. I wouldn't be able to reach it from the bed to turn it off like our old trailer. The remote will make it very convenient. I pulled the trim ring on the factory vent and there are wires right next to the vent opening to tap into to power the unit.

Very strongly considering ordering another, cutting a hole in the roof at the back of the trailer to put a vent over the bunk area. Just need to contact Jayco and see if there is an open spot to put one.
Attached Thumbnails
20161009_145918.jpg   20161009_145926.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 01:15 PM   #2

I too have the original fan from the factory, and have heard many bad things about them, just too many complaints to ignore. I am going to do what you have done. Peace of mind mainly. Thanks for the Pics!
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD
John7349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

According to Jayco the earlier units were built without UV protection that's why they're cracking

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #4

According to me, it's a bad design to make manufacturing cheap that will always fail. They assemble by bending those tabs down. That will always stress the plastic and cause early failure. I could have chosen to have it replaced under warranty, but I didn't want the same junk back on it. Even the fan was bad! The blade would slide down the motor shaft then hit the shroud and bind.

If that's what Jayco is going to use, they shouldn't even bother!
Old 10-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Has anyone had luck getting this fan replaced? I have mine in for service and dealership stated i must have hit something. I had to put on packaging tape on it to stop the leaks. If you got it replaced from Jayco what did they replace it with?
tledwards25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #6

Our fan is cracked and ends broken off the same as the pictures that Cdash posted. Our dealers contacted Jayco. They will replace it. But I wanted to upgrade to a Fantastic Fan with Maxair cover. Jayco will cover all labor and thats it. Works for us. 5er goes to Dealer tomorrow.