Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2023, 10:12 PM   #1

FT RV 2024 need help

I am looking at a 2019 JAYCO NORTH POINT 385THWS for purchase to go full-time RV next year. The reviews have been 50/50. Would someone here please give me some advice on if this would be a good buy for FT living..

Much thanks
Trish413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 06:55 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
My opinion. If you intend on traveling a lot it's a large unit to be towing everywhere. Likely when loaded, a dually truck will be needed to pull it safely. That size may limit where you can "camp" with it, many state park sites can handle around 36'. As far as quality it's a crap shoot no matter what you buy. Plan on problems, be glad when there's none! I'm assuming it's used. I'd spend lots of time looking it over, checking for water damage, roof, systems functioning properly, frame, axle, tires, etc. Even more so critical if it's a dealer selling it vs the owner.
Good luck!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 07:53 AM   #3

We have been full time for two years in our NP.

X2 to everything ARoamer said.

We move weekly most of the year an then settle down somewhere for a few month in the winter. We average around 12K miles per year of travel
Cons-
  • Dually is highly recommended, 1 Ton SWR is the min, 14K LB+ trailer
  • Duallys are huge, get used to parking at the back of the parking lot
  • You have to be comfortable driving a combo that is over 50' long and 13' tall
  • Interstates, US Highways are usually ok, not the rig for back country adventures
  • Commercial Campgrounds, very few State parks can handle a rig of that size

Pros
  • Lots of room
  • Easier to get the motor unit (truck) worked on than a Class A or C
  • Most of the same amenities as the Pinnacles but 6" narrower and slightly cheaper
  • Higher end appliances
  • High ceilings makes it feel even bigger than it is

The real question is,"Does the floorplan work for you?". Ours has a rear bunkhouse that I converted to an office space and a second bathroom which were both essentials to us.
Pre-pandemic so the quality is probably better but with a used trailer, a though inspection by a licensed inspector so you know exactly what you are getting into is a must

2021 Northpoint 373 BHOK
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali DRW
Rodney27405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 09:58 AM   #4

Thank you & anyone else

I wanted to say thank you to Rodney & ARoamer for that info, it’s very helpful… anyone else who cares to respond that would be much appreciated!
Trish413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #5

Wasn't there some frame issues with NP's a few years back? It caused the siding to crack in the area below the bed slide.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tup-63985.html
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:09 PM   #6

If you like the layout of a tow hauler then it should be comfortable for full timing. We camp in our 2022 Jayco Pinnacle 6-8 months a year and find it very comfortable. Jayco appears to make a relatively good quality fifth wheel trailer but all trailers can have issue(s). Suggest an rv inspection to ferret out any existing or potential issues. Also, since that model is heavy suggest a DRW diesel tow vehicle.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:06 AM   #7

It would be well worth the price for an independent RV inspection if your new to rv'ing. Even a friend that has rv experience for 2nd set of eyes .
The BIG deal is makeing sure no place has a roof/wall water leak or delamination. Appliances, paint, tires, etc can be repaired.
Your profile says Ty.ler as in maybe Tx. If so I'm just up the road.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 10:14 AM   #8

In our park several people are FT in a NP including a family of 5.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:22 AM   #9

There have been issues with a stress crack on almost all 5th wheels regardless of brand that did not use a relief joint at the lower corner of the bedroom slide. My NP (377RLBH) had it, but it was resolved at the factory the first year.
The 385THWS is about a foot longer than our 2018 377.

I'm sure there are a lot of factors that go into causing the crack including design, consumer use and environment. It is a valid question to ask the previous owner about. I don't think Jayco started adding the relief joint until 2020 models and later. Something they should have done all along.

We have been full timing in ours since we bought it in September of '18
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox, Victron MultiPlus II 2x120v 12v, power distribution, solar controller, smart shunt, 1000w of solar panels, 4 Lifepo4 200ah batteries
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #10

I have a 385thws. The trailer is large and you need to look ahead at the camp sites that can accommodate you. Just takes a bit more planning when you take a trip. Yes I did have a frame/ cracking problem at the front slides. It was repaired under warranty and was done in a shop in Minnesota. Came out great. I replaced the axles with MoRide independent axles. Best upgrade ever. Twice the axel hangers broke off of the frame on the rear axle. I tow with a F350 duley. Diesel. I have done some upgrades on solar and inverter. We stay in one location for a few days to a week and do day trips
MQuick is offline   Reply With Quote