Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #1

Full hookup-sewer

We have a Pinnacle 36RETS. Haven't used full hookup since our sites have typically been at state parks. When you are using sewer, do you leave the tanks open for immediate drainage or how does that work? Can you tell it's our first year with our fifth wheel?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 AM   #2

NO DO NOT leave it open you have to have liquid with the solids for it to flow .. If you leave it open all your solid will sit there.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 AM   #3

Definitely NO on the black and there are varying opinions about the gray. I always leave the gray open, never had a problem in 37 years.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225orourke View Post
NO DO NOT leave it open you have to have liquid with the solids for it to flow .. If you leave it open all your solid will sit there.
Additionally, you shouldn't dump your Black Tank until it's atleast 3/4 full. You want to make sure you have a good flow of liquids in order to remove the solids. If your tank isn't at least 3/4 full at the end of the trip add water till it reaches that level.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #5

Like said above, Black tank closed until full. Grey tank you can leave open.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #6

Everything closed so there's plenty of liquid to take stuff away. Best if the black tank is at least 3/4 full before draining. Pull the black tank valve first, let it drain then pull the kitchen grey to begin rinsing the stinky slinky. Pull the bath grey last as that's the "cleanest" tank and good final rinse of the hose.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 AM   #7

Thanks everyone. Loud and clear... No stinky slinky for us.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

One day before you leave a site close the grays and let them fill up. Gray water is useful is flushing out your hose.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #9

Just remember once you open the black gate valve and let it drain, CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE the black gate valve first. THEN open the grey gate valve for the grey water to empty. Closing the black gate valve before opening the grey gate valve will keep black water from possibly getting into your grey water holding tank.

YouTube has a lot of good Rv sewer videos you can watch - that's what I did.

Once more thing - I keep one of those cheap green hoses to rinse out the sewer hose after the grey has finished draining and I'm ready to disconnect and stow the sewer hose. I disconnect the trailer end of the sewer hose while it is still connected to the campground sewer and hose it off - contents drain into the sewer. I'm sure you already know to never use your white hose for anything other than potable city water.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #10

Also buy a pair of sturdy rubber gloves and use them while working with the dumping task. Rinse them last and store them in a small tote, they will last for years.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

I buy a bulk box of disposable latex gloves from Home Depot. I keep them in the storage cubby in my truck door, so they're handy to use for all sorts of things. When I'm finished with the dirty work, I just pitch them in the dumpster. (There's usually one near the tank dump site).
Old 04-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #12

We keep a 5 gallon bucket in the camper. After dumping the black and before the grey tank with the black still open, fill the bucket with water and dump it down the toilet. This brings A LOT of junk out of the black tank. We do this at least twice before draining the grey tank. I also have a box of disposable surgical gloves I use and then throw away after the "Dirty" job is finished. I have a clear elbow on my sewer connection so this way we can make sure the "Dirty" stuff is gone.

2016 Pinnacle 36REQS
2022 Ford F-450 6.7 4x4 CC LB Dually
Mike & Chelle, My kids when they decide to go with us.
MikeNChelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:21 PM   #13

Old thread, but good info.

For those that keep the sewer hose hooked up all the time and the grey water valve open, is there a chance for critters to get into the tanks? Or, sewer gasses flowing back through the pipe, in your empty grey water tank and up into your rig?
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNChelle View Post
We keep a 5 gallon bucket in the camper. After dumping the black and before the grey tank with the black still open, fill the bucket with water and dump it down the toilet. This brings A LOT of junk out of the black tank. We do this at least twice before draining the grey tank. I also have a box of disposable surgical gloves I use and then throw away after the "Dirty" job is finished. I have a clear elbow on my sewer connection so this way we can make sure the "Dirty" stuff is gone.
X2! A 5 gallon bucket makes a huge difference! The high volume of water breaks up anything leftover.
Sergeum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by madflava View Post
Old thread, but good info.

For those that keep the sewer hose hooked up all the time and the grey water valve open, is there a chance for critters to get into the tanks? Or, sewer gasses flowing back through the pipe, in your empty grey water tank and up into your rig?
Sewer flies (if they are infesting the sewage system) can get into your tanks from the sewage lines unless you make sure there's a dip in your sewer hose filled with liquid between the valve and the sewer hookup. That will keep the critters from flying up your hose. A few times I've flushed my toilet and had a little black fly or two wing its way out of the tank. Not too appealing having a critter that lives in that environment coming into your living quarters.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:07 PM   #16

We usually leave both closed until we are packing up to leave. We open the black first and empty and then we empty the grey. That way the cleaner, soapier water goes through the hose to help clean it out.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:58 PM   #17

Suggest to leave gray tanks closed for more FLUSH.
We have a black tank flush, using a cheap hose, flush black after valve open. Then when done, do grays, shower last, never had any smell issues.

2015 Sierra 2500 SLT Duramax CC, Nav, Onstar WIFI, 20K Reese Elite
fljl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #18

We have a Sewer Souution drain and I've done it both ways. I've settled on leaving the greys closed. After the sewer flies comment I'm double decided.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergeum View Post
X2! A 5 gallon bucket makes a huge difference! The high volume of water breaks up anything leftover.
Good idea. But why not just flush the toilet a bunch of times instead of prefilling a bucket?
madflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 10:01 PM   #20

since I have two gray tanks , I let the shower and the washing machine always open since they fill up so quickly but I leae the galley one closed since there's some food that need a good flush and do not want them to accumulate in the tank.
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote