Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Full timing model?

Wife and I are strongly considering becoming full timers soon. Just the two of us and one puppy dog. Dont need bunks! Would like 5th wheel models reccomended to look at by perhaps other full timers.
Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

If we were looking at another unit I would.look at a Front Bath since it has the 1/2 bath off the kitchen. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

DW and I are not anti-5th wheels, but we do want 2 doors and no internal stairs. We full-timed in our TT for 6mo earlier this year and were very comfortable and have no issues pulling/parking our TT. I don't want to de-rail this topic, but please consider starting another topic about why you're only considering a 5th wheel.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
DW and I are not anti-5th wheels, but we do want 2 doors and no internal stairs. We full-timed in our TT for 6mo earlier this year and were very comfortable and have no issues pulling/parking our TT. I don't want to de-rail this topic, but please consider starting another topic about why you're only considering a 5th wheel.
Glad you enjoyed your 6 months. why only 6 months. We are not considering 6 months, but God willing perhaps 30 years. No need for another thread. I would be more inclined to ask why you responded to a post in the 5th wheel forum instead of the travel trailer forum.
Happy Camping
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Glad you enjoyed your 6 months. why only 6 months. We are not considering 6 months, but God willing perhaps 30 years. No need for another thread. I would be more inclined to ask why you responded to a post in the 5th wheel forum instead of the travel trailer forum.
Happy Camping
Why this forum-
My bad. It popped up as a new post. I didn't pay attention to which forum... a bad habit of mine. Sorry.

Why only 6mo-
Our home owner's insurance is only valid if we are gone for 6mo or less within a year. We aren't ready - yet - to full-time longer than that until we sell. When we do sell, it's not likely we'll be on the road until we're in our 100s so it will be for much less than 30yr . A bit envious of your future full-timing plans, but we did our long distance and long duration RVing ~40yr ago in our van and enjoyed every minute of it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:48 AM   #6

After 3 previous Jayco 5th wheels, we have finally settled on the Pinnacle 38FLSA. Pros for us are, front living room, bedroom bathroom and kitchen on one level, smaller slides (less problematic for the Schwinteks), and plenty of storage. Cons, the overall length means that there are many places we won't be going with it. A trade-off I suppose. We have had the Pinnacle for almost 2 years with no major issues. Additionally, this model has a second door. This is nice because it allows for access to the bedroom and bathroom without having to open a slide. Great for overnighters in Walmart or rest areas. Good luck in your search.

Jim
Old 08-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #7

If you have the tow vehicle we like our fiver 2016 Eagle 321 RSTS. Would not go new just spent 3 years trying to get all warranty done!Did do Solar package a couple years back love it. On board Onan would be nice also!Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DTOP7.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:16 AM   #8

X2. Love our 321 RSTS. We do have the generator installed, larger propane tanks to feed it, as well as the W/D. Those three items sure increased the hitch weight, so be careful with the weight & balance if you go this route.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #9

We have been full time in or 330 RSTS sense Nov 2017 we love it
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #10

We love our North Point 381 DLQS.

1) We are more traditional, in that we want the panoramic rear view. So the king size bed in the front is a must.

2) Our age is dictating the "Glamping style" camping. The tankless water heater provides endless amounts of hot water but full hookups are more the norm, as it will use more water.

3) The 6-point auto leveling is a must. You don't know you'll love it until after you have it.

4) Last but most important is the 3/4" tongue and grove hardwood flooring. It adds to the GVWR but it is the most important (standard to us) in full time RVing. We have been through the spongy floor. In the old 5r we full timed in I even floated a bamboo floor in an attempt to overcome the "sponge" floor (not good).

Additional features are: Dual sink lav, washer/dryer, fireplace w/heat, residential fridge, giant pantry, outside fridge w/stove, outside TV w/dual awnings.

"Winter Texans"
Attached Thumbnails
Sundance RV 4.jpg  

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #11

We decided to full time because we could not decide where we wanted to live. The Army or my job had determined where we lived for 40 years so (after being retired for 6 months) we sold the house and took off. Our kids are in SC and WA and both may move in the near future. So, we have been 'on the road' for 18 months trying out a few places (we had already ruled out many based on where we have lived over the years). We moved into our new house last week.

When we picked our trailer one of the major considerations was our hobbies. Hers is sewing and weaving. Mine are model airplanes, shooting and fishing. We decided early on that we needed either a toy hauler or a bunkhouse model.

We ended up with the BH for several reasons, the main one being that it provided a nice workbench/table and a bunch of storage. Also, BH models seemed to be much less expensive than toy haulers. I configured the BH so we could each pursue our hobbies, even in a rather small space.

Size is the other main consideration. We chose to limit ourselves to 35ft or less. This was mainly due to our 3/4T truck. We thought about upgrading the truck but the trailers we ended up looking at were easily pulled by our truck.

My two cents. If you are retiring as well as starting full timing, be prepared for a lot of adjustments. It is not a life that many can do for very long.

PS FWIW the Eagle HT, although not rated for full time, did very well for us. I know 18mo is not a good test of durability, but, I have no doubts that it would have worked for years. Maybe not 10 or 20 like the higher end models but enough for what we wanted. The only limitation on it was very hot climates (we have two 15k AC). Full sun on a 110F day in the SW desert and it would get warm inside (85-90F). Very cold might be a problem, but, it did well down in the low teens.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote