Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #21

Furnace Screen

Two trailers - 0 problems.
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #22

I use them.. they work as described. One of the first things I did. Where I keep my rv there are tons of wasps around. The little devils have even tried to make nests in the little vent holes in my awnings. If anyone has any ideas to seal them up im all ears. I've seen them try to nest in the freaking latches of my outside compartments.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #23

Bug screen

×9 get them you will be happy you did.
tedskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:55 PM   #24

Just don’t email and ask the manufacturer. They’ll say not to use them.
eeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #25

Used screens on all exhaust ports for last three years . . . no problems whatsoever.
Highly recommend all of them. However, the retainer springs are showing a little rust. I will be replacing those springs with stainless steel springs soon.
Wm.Ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #26

No Problems / some protection from kids

I put one on years ago (10 +), no problems.
Although I mostly put it on to protect the kids, so the wouldn't touch the exhaust. It gets hot too but not nearly as bad.
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #27

We just put on the screen for furnace, hot water and fridge. Unfortunately, we haven't used the Jayco since. I am not anticipating an overheating problem. How do you know it is happening?
artie p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:17 AM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie p View Post
We just put on the screen for furnace, hot water and fridge. Unfortunately, we haven't used the Jayco since. I am not anticipating an overheating problem. How do you know it is happening?
If the furnace overheats, it will just shut down. It has safety measures. Don't be concerned about the bug screens causing any problems. They've been on our TT for 8 years.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:16 AM   #29

I installed screens on my furnace, water heater and refridgerator outlets. Pests love to make nests.
Attached Thumbnails
FF1A31D1-F1CA-4145-A141-0136D29C9728.jpg   2F348731-EDCC-4F42-8EB1-AFC9056C3F65.jpg  
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:42 AM   #30
SUP

[QUOTE=RogerR;906636]I have everything screened with those type screens. I added some stainless steel wire to tie them in place because those springs looked iffy.

I agree on those springs. Absolutely worthless.
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:06 AM   #31

I have noticed any air flow issues. But with them mounted on the outside of the door, it seems that everytime my grandkids get around it these happen to be laying on the ground.

I had another set so I trimmed the framing off of it, flattened the rolled edges and then used a small pop rivets to mount the screen on the inside of the door. The only thing that I was careful about was to make sure that it fit inside the existing aluminum frame that was on the door.

Actually I have not used the heater with this installation as yet, but it should be good.

I have a pic but I can never remember how to include it in my post. Anybody got any help here?

Jim Johnson
2018 Ford F-250 SuperCab 4X4
2016 Wildwood X-Lite 241QBXL
oldmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #32

Yeah the screens on mine all got a piece of stainless steel wire to hold them also, and on run behind round screen that locks it on there til it is taken off.
Dgibbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:44 AM   #33

Sorry we did not use one, husband felt it would constrict air flow
Big J and S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
X7. We have them on the furnace, water heater, and fridge vents.
X8 for me.
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #35

So will wasps and spiders. But to each their own. Not being mean just sharing info
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #36

We use them too and never had any problems. We prefer them to keep whatever we can out of the trailer.
gayefromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #37

Bug proof sure, but how about a noise silencer?

Thank you for who recommended bug-proofing furnace vents.
I have a reoccurring noice issue with the furnaces. Neighbors come and go in my RV park and several "newer" travel trailers and motorhomes have very noisy furnaces that sound like jet engines or glass blowing furnaces some 50 feet away and more. Plus, the furnaces often recycle - restarting and shutting down often - every 5 minutes when the mornings get nippy.

My 20 year old Jayco Motorhome has a similar (though older model) Atwood furnace with, apparently, a slightly larger diameter exhaust port. My furnace makes some noise when it starts but it is considerably quieter than the newer units that come into the RV park. Are any of you familiar with this issue? Is there a safe solution, maybe as simple as the bug screens that can muffle the noise a bit? -- maybe steel wool or a large baffle or other idea that is not potentially hazardous?

-Teddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Does anybody have, or currently use these screens over their furnace exhaust ports? If so, over time, has anyone experienced air flow issues, possibly resulting in overheating? Your help would be appreciated...thanks
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
My 20 year old Jayco Motorhome has a similar (though older model) Atwood furnace with, apparently, a slightly larger diameter exhaust port. My furnace makes some noise when it starts but it is considerably quieter than the newer units that come into the RV park. Are any of you familiar with this issue? Is there a safe solution, maybe as simple as the bug screens that can muffle the noise a bit? -- maybe steel wool or a large baffle or other idea that is not potentially hazardous?-Teddy
The larger the exhaust port, the quieter it should be. I would NOT put anything like steel wool in the port..........that IMHO would be dangerous. A bug screen will not muffle noise. Is it annoying when inside your RV?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #39

They are now electric strip heat kits that can be put into a gas furnace and allow you to choose we have a brand new twenny twenny Jayco and yes it sounds like the Thunderbirds are in my bedroom I will be installing the electric kid even though we also have a heat pump so it gives us options
JDooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #40

After having to dig out a yellow jacket that was building a nest in my furnace exhaust, I got the same screen plus the ones for the refrigerator vents. Several years later, no problems.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote