Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 PM   #1

Furnace inop / generator

Hey guys. I just picked up a 25 foot jayco fifth wheel camper. I have 3 questions. What have you guys been using for a generator. Does anyone have experience with the preditor line of generator? Also, the forced air heater isn't working. It ignites and runs for a couple seconds then shuts off. Is there a thermo couple? Or sensor of some sort that is out? Also, is there any good way to work on these things? Thanks in advance for the advice. This newbie can use all the help he can get. Lol
Rednecktech_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecktech_89 View Post
Hey guys. I just picked up a 25 foot jayco fifth wheel camper. I have 3 questions. What have you guys been using for a generator. Does anyone have experience with the preditor line of generator? Also, the forced air heater isn't working. It ignites and runs for a couple seconds then shuts off. Is there a thermo couple? Or sensor of some sort that is out? Also, is there any good way to work on these things? Thanks in advance for the advice. This newbie can use all the help he can get. Lol
It would really be helpful to give the year & model of your 5er!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #3

It's a 25 foot jayco eagle fifth wheel
Old 07-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

Regarding the heater it doesn't matter what kind of RV you have. Most of these furnaces in all of them are made either by Atwood or Dometic. I have an Atwood furnace which had similar problems you described. Takes patience to diagnose but with a bit of research and review of many do it yourself repair videos on youtube you will be able to get it resolved. Common problems to consider are the sail switch as well as water getting to your circuit board and shorting it out. I had to replace my circuit board due to either a rain storm or from simply washing my RV. There is a known design flaw with the Atwoods and where they locate their circuit board. Alot of information on the different RV mfg. forums as well. Hope this will get you started in the right direction on resolving your furnace issue.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks! I've been looking on YouTube some!
Old 07-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

It's all there on youtube and on Forest River and Jayco Forums over the past couple of years.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #7

Two years ago I froze my butt off in Alaska when I was up there in the early Spring. None of the dealers were able to diagnose anything during travel. An electric portable heater got me through some of the coldest nites and I waited until I got home and during my downtime in the following winter did I get my tools out and do it myself. It's not rocket science once you study the videos.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Dan View Post
Two years ago I froze my butt off in Alaska when I was up there in the early Spring. None of the dealers were able to diagnose anything during travel. An electric portable heater got me through some of the coldest nites and I waited until I got home and during my downtime in the following winter did I get my tools out and do it myself. It's not rocket science once you study the videos.
I took a quick glance at it today to see what I was up against. But it looks like a lot of it is in the back. Is there an easy way to get back there to look at things?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

So. Today I tore into my furnace. I discovered the burner is pretty rusted out. When it starts it will fire off the propane. I hear it light off and everything then it instantly goes back off after a second or two. Im for sure replacing the burner, but does that seem more like a problem with the gas control valve to you guys? It's on a 1995 jayco 25 foot fifth wheel. Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednecktech_89 View Post
So. Today I tore into my furnace. I discovered the burner is pretty rusted out. When it starts it will fire off the propane. I hear it light off and everything then it instantly goes back off after a second or two. Im for sure replacing the burner, but does that seem more like a problem with the gas control valve to you guys? It's on a 1995 jayco 25 foot fifth wheel. Thanks again!
It may not be the problem, but it it's rusted out like you say, I would definitely replace it and see if that does the trick.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #11

Considering age of your furnace and rusted out components it could be the replacement of many furnace parts as well as the time to figure it out and labor. I think for reliability and safety to self and family you might even take a look at just putting in a new furnace. Doing an internet search I see new Atwood units going for $500 to $700 approximately. If you are going to keep your 5th wheel for a few years this might be a consideration too.

Tags
furnace, inop, no heat