Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-26-2014, 05:31 PM   #1

Furnace Issues

Hi all..need some help. I have a new 351RLTS, well less than a year old, and a furnace that does not work. Here's the rest of the story. The first time it didn't work the ambient temp was -10F. The fan came on and I could hear the ignitor sparking but it never caught. I checked the usual suspects: I had propane in both tanks and then checked to make sure both the fridge and stove worked. I then turned off the propane and turned on the stove to burn all the gas in the line out. Turned the gas back on slowly and tried the furnace again..same thing..cycled three times and stopped. Slept next to my black lab under every blanket I could find through the -15F night.
Took the furnace to Camping World and had it bench tested. Of course, it fired right up without issue.

Back to the trailer, reinstalled furnace, replaced gas regulator, ambient temp now +15F, nothing. Went through the same process of checking everything with no luck...

Any thoughts on what to try next? Would battery voltage effect ignition while plugged in? Is there any other circuitry I'm missing?
FiverForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

If I follow your procedure you tried the furnace, no go, lit the stove, all good, then drained the line through the stove and tried the furnace again with no luck. Could be no propane at the furnace when it tried to ignite. Light the stove then try the furnace without draining the line. Possible there was just not enough propane at the furnace when it tried to ignite.

2016 F350 PSD
2010 Jayco 30.5 RLS
Bearles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

I cycled the furnace about a dozen times because I thought that might be the case as well. Sorry..forgot about that.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Isn't is still under warrantee?

My furnace is a two stage unit and I have to put the fan on high so that it will blow the flap that starts the process of lighting. I don't know the technical terms but it won't start on low. I don't know the reasons but it works that way on mine. And it acts like yours when the fan is on low.
3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Works on the bench but not in the TT? In my shade tree mechanic days (read: Youth) if I had a problem getting an engine to start I'd start with the "big 3", Fire, Fuel and Air. Something in the supply line to the furnace blocking gas flow?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM   #6

Did you take the furnace itself to CW or take the trailer with the furnace in it? If you took the furnace out, then as said above, it might be a blockage in the supply lines which would not have been found on the bench at SCW.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #7

We had two situations. One was a defective pressure regulator (furnace relay kept cycling, furnace came on for several seconds and suttoff). Second was a pinched hose, service disconnected hose and rerouted - sure was a cold nite (brand new unit).
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #8

Didn't make it up there this weekend so it will be next weekend before I can try some of these ideas out. The furnace was tested outside of the trailer so there may be an issue with the supply line. more to follow..
Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 AM   #9

If furnace was removed from coach, then either blocked/kinked supply line, poor electrical ground (Gas valve needs 9 or volts greater to "open"). At near zero temps my tanks would not fully empty and auto switch over didn't change over to "full" tank. Manually switched tanks and bingo the furnace worked!
ZX14GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #10

We had a similar problem. Crawl underneath and look at gas line routing. Ours was kinked coming out of junction box and gas could not flow to furnace. Had to reroute line and relocate junction box.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #11

One more...went to the trailer this weekend to pull it out of its winter site and the furnace fired right up and worked through the night without issue. It seems to be that whenever its freezing (below 25'ish) it doesn't work.
Its at the dealer now..more to follow.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #12

UPDATE:
Finally got it out of the snow and got it to camping world. By the way, they have actually been wonderful through the entire ordeal. They are replacing the regulator (again), the manifold and some hoses. I'll update again as soon as I hear what the final answer is but at least they are throwing parts at it.

What and where is the manifold? I thought the manifold/regulator where the same animal.