Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2020, 05:53 PM   #1

Furnace issues with shore power

Got a 2019 Jayco Talon and the furnace recently started to fail. The fan turns on but the spark won’t work. I’ve read of many that have had this issue but the difference with mine is the the furnace works great when running the generator. The minute I shift to shore power it goes back to not operating. Propane is full, stove top works well, and again, the furnace works while on the generator. Anyone have an idea of what this might be?
Garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #2

Possible bad coach battery. Get it load tested.
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Florida Ranger. After troubleshooting the system I found that the furnace works on shore power after all. The trick is that I have to turn it on, let the fan shut off on its own after it doesn’t light up then repeat the cycle several times. I’m thinking it might be a bad thermostat. Not sure. Still need to look into it. Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #4

That is bazaar. Furnace is 12 volt and gen or shore power should have no difference they both just charge ur batteries thru the converter.
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #5

Check your igniter , can you hear it clicking ?
Old 01-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
snip.....I have to turn it on, let the fan shut off on its own after it doesn’t light up then repeat the cycle several times.....snip
Mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago as you described....., then a few days later it eventually wouldn't ignite after the initial 10 second blower cycle no matter how many times I attempted a restart at the thermostat and the furnace restart switch. Had a RV mobile tech out the same day.

The RV tech did a detailed diagnostic test of all furnace components (sail switch, limit switch, circuit board, ignitor, wall thermostat, LP, etc.) which included removing the furnace. Furnace checked out 100%.

After reinstalling the furnace we did a restart and it ran perfect ...., we preformed an additional dozen restarts without an issue. Been running fine since then (about a week now).

The best we could "assume" was the sail switch had some debris on the 'paddle' and was dislodged during the furnace R&R.

I have since ordered a new Atwood sail switch, limit switch, and circuit board should the furnace have a similar starting issue going forward. One of the three parts often are the root cause of Atwood furnace starting issues. My furnace is easy to access and/or remove so I can install the part(s).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:25 AM   #7

I also have a ceramic electric heater as a backup...
Old 01-10-2020, 12:58 AM   #8

I’m not sure I hear the igniter clicking. After a couple of uses in the recent days it finally stopped working. No matter how many times I reset it. I might have to look at the sail switch as Rustic Eagle mentioned. Maybe it’s the same thing. Problem is they weren’t so clever with the design and it’s going to take some work getting to it. I’m not an expert in this system but I can tell it’s not going to be easy.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip...... I might have to look at the sail switch as Rustic Eagle mentioned. Maybe it’s the same thing. Problem is they weren’t so clever with the design and it’s going to take some work getting to it......snip
Does your 5th wheel have a furnace excess panel on the outside wall (exhaust tube mounted on it)?? If so, depending on your furnace brand/model you may be able to access the sail switch without 'tunneling' to it or removing the furnace.

When removing/checking the sail switch make note of the two wire connection points.

Inspecting typical sail switch:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #10

No access panel on the exterior. Below the exhaust pipe is the water heater and there seems to be no access through that location. I am going to have to access the furnace through the storage compartment. It’s looking like I’m going to have to remove the entire furnace. Thanks for the video. Very helpful.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago as you described....., then a few days later it eventually wouldn't ignite after the initial 10 second blower cycle no matter how many times I attempted a restart at the thermostat and the furnace restart switch. Had a RV mobile tech out the same day.

The RV tech did a detailed diagnostic test of all furnace components (sail switch, limit switch, circuit board, ignitor, wall thermostat, LP, etc.) which included removing the furnace. Furnace checked out 100%.

After reinstalling the furnace we did a restart and it ran perfect ...., we preformed an additional dozen restarts without an issue. Been running fine since then (about a week now).

The best we could "assume" was the sail switch had some debris on the 'paddle' and was dislodged during the furnace R&R.

I have since ordered a new Atwood sail switch, limit switch, and circuit board should the furnace have a similar starting issue going forward. One of the three parts often are the root cause of Atwood furnace starting issues. My furnace is easy to access and/or remove so I can install the part(s).

Bob
I had a similar issue. Blower on and wouldn't fire up so I checked the usual suspects and everything checked out ok. Reinstalled everything and the furnace ran for a little while then started acting up again. I figured a loose wire or connection but I couldn't find anything so I replaced the board only to still have issues. Turns out the sail switch was working intermittently. Once I replaced that my issues were gone. So having a spare is a good idea!
Old 01-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #12

One way I learned to verify a sail switch was to thump the side of the furnace as it was starting a heat cycle. Fortunately I could reach mine thru a basement access panel without removing the basement divider wall. It’s a 2 person chore with one at the thermostat and the other at the ready near the furnace. If it ignites after a couple love taps, the odds of a failed sail switch increase and emptying the basement to remove the wall and furnace begins. Order 2 switches before tearing things apart. Having a spare insures you’ll never have another failure - until you lose the spare anyway.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... I am going to have to access the furnace through the storage compartment. It’s looking like I’m going to have to remove the entire furnace.......snip
Don't forget to turn off your LP tanks, turn 'off' the restart switch located on the furnace & the wall thermostat..., and label furnace wires for easy re-install. Wouldn't hurt to pull the furnace fuse at the breaker box (mine was a 20amp fuse).

If you have the opportunity take some pics of your 'furnace' project/repair and post them in this thread......, may be helpful to others considering the same furnace repair.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #14

Fixed the issue

Alright guys so the furnace seems to be working. I am going to post some pics and hopefully this will help out those who encounter this problem as well.
Turns out that that sail switch was the problem with my furnace. Here is the crazy part, it had a tiny ball of dust between the switch and the metal strip. I can’t believe how sensitive this switch is. I guess it’s a good thing though since it is dealing with propane and heat.
I did have to access the furnace through the storage compartment be removing the panels. See pics attached. I also removed the exhaust from the exterior. Once I reached the furnace I removed both mounting bracket screws and pulled the furnace away from the wall and was able to access the sail switch. It was smooth riding from there on.
I also encountered other issues with the heating system specifically the vent tubing. See pic attached. I was shocked when I removed the panels and saw how bad of a job they did putting this coach together. So many safety discrepancies that I found. Pics attached. Thank you all for your answers and helping me fix this furnace.
Attached Thumbnails
41EEEB68-AA9A-45D7-BF1E-DB3213A4969C.jpeg   image.jpg   C9E2E7B2-02F8-4981-A677-978E7E0940DC.jpeg   0EFF3477-2D3E-4F09-8F0B-F24740D390E5.jpeg  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #15

Forgot to mention that I did disconnect all power sources and shut the propane tanks off.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:30 PM   #16

Does anyone have any idea what these connections are for? They were behind the panels next to the outlets and were disconnected. After finding all the issues with the furnace ducting I’m wondering if they also forgot to plug these in.
Attached Thumbnails
1903A6FF-BE66-444E-A904-E0022195E1E9.jpeg  
Old 01-11-2020, 04:08 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......Turns out that that sail switch was the problem with my furnace. Here is the crazy part, it had a tiny ball of dust between the switch and the metal strip.....snip
We appreciate the follow-up and pics...., great info for JOF members and visitors!

I can't help you with the mystery connections, mine didn't have any. I'm sure some 5th wheel owners will chime in.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS