Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

Furnace problem

I am having problems with the furnace in my 377RLBH.

I went out very early this morning and set the furnace to 58, came back and the temperature was 58. When i turned the thermostat up to 64 nothing happened, the furnace would not come on.

I've checked the fuse and trips but all is well here. I've tried turning the thermostat off for an hour and trying again, still nothing. The electric pump heat works though.

When I switch the thermostat to gas I can hear the slight click from the thermostat after which the furnace usually kicks in.

I've been looking at the manual and can see a diagnostic chart, however I'm assuming this is in the furnace casing and I cannot access it due to it's location.

Am I missing anything obvious here?

Thanks

Mark.
mcferran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #2

Try lighting the stove. If it doesn't light, you don't have gas getting to the appliances.
Check that the gas is on and the tank has gas.
Reese SC Weight Distrubition with sway control (12,000lb)
Jhowemca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhowemca View Post
Try lighting the stove. If it doesn't light, you don't have gas getting to the appliances.
Check that the gas is on and the tank has gas.
I've done that already, the stove and gas water heater are both working.

The fan of the furnace doesn't come on, so I'm confident it's not a gas issue.

Thanks anyway.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Try turning the furnace up very high, like 80 deg and see if it will turn on. Normally the fan will turn on first, even if gas is not working. It could be that the thermostat is not working correctly.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

First thing I would do is pull the thermostat and check the wires for a loose connection. Furnace should be the white wire.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

Your furnace has probably tripped a limit switch and needs to be reset. This switch is on the furnace itself and was p.i.a. to get at but I was able to. Long story short was my furnace was over heating due to a duct take off that was punched out at the factory but was not used and they did not close it back up properly. So the furnace was pumping to much heat into the cabinet where it's located and kicking the over limit switch. I had the same symptoms as you, no fan or even tried to start. I got the take off properly sealed and have not had a problem since.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #7

I think the issue may be the thermostat.

Yesterday morning the electric heat wouldn't come on either. I could hear the electic heat try to start for a split second when I moved the thermostat from gas to electic. If I moved the switch very slowly I could find a contact to get the heat pump working, so I left it like that and it worked well all day yesterday. This morning the air was blowing cold, when I move the switch I can feel them area where the heat pump starts, but when I let go of the switch it either cuts out or just the cold air blows.

I've taken the cover off the thermostat and can't see any wires off and am scared to touch anything else incase I make it worse.

My electrician is tied up in a big job until Monday so can't get an expert opinion till then.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #8

Check to make sure all the vents have air moving through them with just the fan on. If there is enough air flow restriction the furnace may not light if the air flow limit switch doesn't operate.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
Check to make sure all the vents have air moving through them with just the fan on. If there is enough air flow restriction the furnace may not light if the air flow limit switch doesn't operate.
The fan doesn't work, absolutley nothing from it. There is a new thermostat arriving tomorrow, hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

The new thermostat arrived a few days ago and my electrician changed it over today.

Now the heat pump works but still nothing from the furnace, still no fan.

I'm going to try the limit switch now, I emailed Jayco over a week ago to ask the best way to access the furnace and am still waiting on a reply.

I'm going to try to get my electrician working on it on Monday.