Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #1

Furnace Problem?

We are camped at 8K feet in Colorado until 10-7. The nights have mostly been in the upper 30's so mostly using our heat pumps. We have had a few nights in the 20's so we have used the furnace some. I have noticed that it takes it several tries at lighting before it will finally stay lit. This morning was in the low 30's so I switched from the heat pump to the furnace and it took 5 tries to finally stay lit. It would come on for a few seconds, go off and then try to relight. I don't remember having this issue with it here last year.

I did have one of the recalled regulators which was leaking so I bought a new different brand and installed it myself since my dealer couldn't get one before we left on our trip. Our range cooktop has a nice blue flame and stays lit when we cook so I don't think that would be the issue but I wanted to mention it. I will get in for the recall when they do get the part and have them check the furnace. I'm pretty good at most things on our fifth wheel but not so much with a furnace so thought I would ask about it.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #2

Typical "High altitude" propane issue. The owner's manual probably has a caveat about poor or no operation at high altitudes too.

Do a web search and you will see many such complaints.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

F350Guy, if it is eventually staying lit, then the sail switch and the blower motor are fine. That brings me to think of air flow. I would check to ensure you don't have something constricting air flow to the igniter, OR, quite possibly, low pressure from your tanks. Did you recently switch from one tank to the other ???? Short of that, I have reached my limit for guesses. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 07:40 AM   #4

I have camped at high altitudes to several times and no problems. But I have had problems getting it to light and they are usually related to something common to all LP burners. Wasps, spiders in the burner or pilot, cobwebs, trash and a buildup of white "ash" on the orifice where the pilot light comes out of a little pipe. If your work with regulators, etc. yield no ground then a good cleaning is in order. Several YouTubes on how to do this. I do it on the fridge and water heater before all trips but they are easier to access.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #5

Also if this continues at lower levels I would make sure you dont have any LP leaks. I bought a sniffer at amazon and found all sorts of issues with my 28.5. Replaced original regulator, braided lines going to tanks and also found one cut in the rubber supply line back near the axle. All leaking LP! All this was original equipment on a 1 year old unit that had the same symptoms with bleeding out the LP and hard to start items.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #6

Check all your lines and regulators for leaks. Propane gets finicky during real cold snaps as well and sometimes can take a few tries to ignite. The fact that the appliance eventually stays lit almost negates a flow issue.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 08:57 AM   #7

I had the same issue when in CO with my gas water heater. I had to play with the fuel/air mix sleeve, changing the mixture % to keep it lit and light easy. Otherwise it could take me 5-10 tries to get it lit, if it lit. After I played with it, it lit and stayed lit.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:47 PM   #8

I never thought about altitude affecting the performance of the furnace. We've only used the electric side of the water heater so not sure if it would be affected. I will do some inspecting but I do have a wasp guard on the furnace vent.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #9

On the water heater, the sleeve is on the silver pipe going across the front where the gas mixes before it turns inward and hits the igniter. The sleeve has one screw to keep it set, perhaps 2" long and has cut outs to allow air in. Slide one way and you get less air (cut outs restricted by inner pipe sleeve fits over), slide the other and more air.

I'd look up the furnace model and see if it needs adjustment or if it should do it automatically before you go looking. Course when you start getting cold may just start looking for it no matter what. We used the propane heater in the AM and it worked without any trouble but I believe ours has an automatic regulator.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I never thought about altitude affecting the performance of the furnace. We've only used the electric side of the water heater so not sure if it would be affected. I will do some inspecting but I do have a wasp guard on the furnace vent.
I will put money on it that it’s the altitude. Although this article is directly related towards turbo performance. The same thing applies for your heater. You have the fuel (propane) available you just do not have the oxygen molecules because of low O2 density to create a fire. You NEED oxygen for combustion to occur, at this elevation The air has less oxygen molecules which in turn makes it harder for your fuel source to ignite.

When you’re at sea level you have a lot more oxygen molecules per breath of air. If you went for a quick run it would take you longer to catch your breath at this elevation than it would at home.

I actually added an additional vent where the furnace is located to ensure that it gets as much air as it needs. It doesn’t change the air density issue it just allows for the furnace to pull as much air as it needs or put another way that is capable of pulling. I have never had an issue with my furnace starting and I’ve camped at over 10,000 feet. I’m sure some furnaces are more finicky than others…
Your wasp guard is not the problem.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/n...r-air-density/
Old 09-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
I will put money on it that it’s the altitude. Although this article is directly related towards turbo performance. The same thing applies for your heater. You have the fuel (propane) available you just do not have the oxygen molecules because of low O2 density to create a fire. You NEED oxygen for combustion to occur, at this elevation The air has less oxygen molecules which in turn makes it harder for your fuel source to ignite.

When you’re at sea level you have a lot more oxygen molecules per breath of air. If you went for a quick run it would take you longer to catch your breath at this elevation than it would at home.

I actually added an additional vent where the furnace is located to ensure that it gets as much air as it needs. It doesn’t change the air density issue it just allows for the furnace to pull as much air as it needs or put another way that is capable of pulling. I have never had an issue with my furnace starting and I’ve camped at over 10,000 feet. I’m sure some furnaces are more finicky than others…
Your wasp guard is not the problem.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/news/n...r-air-density/
Great explanation. We've been coming up for the month of September for 10 or more years. Love watching the aspen's turn. We do some hiking so the oxygen issue is well known by us. We usually wait a week before our first hike just to let our bodies do some adjusting but it can still be tough on the uphill climbs.

This morning it is 32 degrees so I had to switch from heat pump to gas. The first time it fired it took 2 tries, the second time it stayed lit on the first try. I'm sure it is altitude related but will still have it checked when I finally get the appointment for the regulator recall. I did remove the vent cover and the tube looks very clean. Since it does work I'm going to leave it alone.