Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
CJS

Furnace problem wont start or even make any noise

We just picked up a 2009 Jayco Eagle 28.5 BHS yesterday. I cannot get the furnace to go. I knew this when I bought the trailer but I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem now. The furnace on this unit is in a difficult spot so I haven't got too far into it yet. This is what I do know so far. The a/c and the fan function as normal when you switch the Stat to heat mode and move the temp setting up you hear the stat click quietly asking for the furnace to fire, then nothing at all happens. but once you've done that you cannot get the a/c or the fan to go until you reset the switch on the furnace itself. I haven't gone any farther than that simply because I am pretty sure I will have to remove the whole furnace to get access the the board or any part on the furnace.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
CJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

CJS,

Welcome to JOF

The first thing I would do is confirm the furnace manufacture's name, model #, BTU #, serial #, etc., off the furnace label...., you may need a flashlight and mirror depending on the location of the label. Visit the manufacture's web site (or contact them directly) and get a copy of the furnace operation/maintenance/installation manuals......, they should include a detailed parts listing.

Detailed product info will be extremely helpful when diving into an RV furnace and help with a YouTube DIY search.

Common issues with furnaces:

* Not receiving LP
* LP gas valve at furnace (defective)
* Exhaust port clogged (mice nest, cob webs, etc.)
* Restricted return air duct (if equipped with one)
* Wall Thermostat (defective)
* Sail switch (defective, or debris like pet hair, etc., restricting paddle movement)
* High limit switch (defective)
* Circuit board (defective)

Some RV furnaces have a small relay located on the A/C depending on the type of OEM wall thermostat and brand furnace & A/C system combination installed. You can hear a delayed 'click' (normal) if standing close to the interior ceiling A/C vent cover when turning the furnace on at wall thermostat. This type of system is more prevalent in newer RV furnaces.

If the furnace has an outside wall access panel, start your inspection there before removing the furnace, many components can be serviced from this open area.

Moderately tapping the furnace while someone turns the furnace on from the wall thermostat may free up debris around the 'sail switch'. Also, many RV furnaces after 3 failed attempts at starting will require a 'reset' at the furnace.

Hope this helps......

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote