Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Furnace Problems

I have a 2020 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK and the furnace is a Dometic DFMD35 and has air but will not ignite. I called Dometic Technical support and they told me it “sounds like a sail switch”. They said they would send me a drawing but I’m still waiting. I removed the panel enclosure in the basement but as you can see in the attached photo it’s a real nightmare trying to do any work in this area. It looks like I need to access the front of this unit but there’s no access door on the exterior side of the RV. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
BFC2AC1C-713E-4F33-A0B8-6232C93BE6B5.jpg  
mojo3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I recommend to install an outside access door as service is on the front of the furnace. The ignorance to save a few bucks on manufacturing cost is B-S, because the customer will pay hundredfold on service cost. Removal and install @ 1 hour + Service 1 hour go and figure.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:39 PM   #3

You have a true octopus going on back there! Bad news, to remove that furnace, I suspect you would need to demo your sewer pipes (at least from this image).

You might be in luck! If I recall correctly your sail switch is on the same side of the furnace as your water pump (shown in the picture). It is usually up by the front wall.

I suspect you can access it without removing the furnace. Mark the three ducts that are on the water pump side of the furnace and get them pulled back and out of the way. Remove that wall to the right of the furnace too. I suspect you can access the sail switch while laying in the cargo hold. Might suggest an old couch cushion or two to prop yourself up with, so you can use both arms.

Question: what are your symptoms that make you suspect the sail switch?? Fan runs for 30 seconds, then the furnace shuts down?? Something else??

Good luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #4

Our furnace are on our 2017 Eagle looks the same! Rats nest. I cleaned it up a bit.. The furnace flex vents are a simple connection on furnace. Just a simple twist and they come off.. Now you might want to invest in some thick foam. You can't really sit up in there. Too reach it you might want to remove the water pump.. Its scotch connectors and hand tightened plastic fittings
Its a tough location no doubt but doable

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

It's still under warranty so I called a service technician to perform the work. I'll watch what he does and be able to go from there in the future. Having an access door installed on the exterior side of the RV sounds like the way to go. It's still hard to believe that any manufacturer would design something like this with no easy access for repair work. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm also having problems with the water heater won't run on gas, the refrigerator won't run on electric, the main A/C compressor failed and several USB ports still not working. And I'm going to recommend a Jayco Eagle. Yeah, right. Thanks for the responses.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:21 PM   #6

Wow, that's a terrible list of issues.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Mojo3150; And all manufactures are like that: just to save $20 for the door and an extra 15 minutes of labor.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo3150 View Post
It's still under warranty so I called a service technician to perform the work. I'll watch what he does and be able to go from there in the future. Having an access door installed on the exterior side of the RV sounds like the way to go. It's still hard to believe that any manufacturer would design something like this with no easy access for repair work. They should be ashamed of themselves. I'm also having problems with the water heater won't run on gas, the refrigerator won't run on electric, the main A/C compressor failed and several USB ports still not working. And I'm going to recommend a Jayco Eagle. Yeah, right. Thanks for the responses.
Just remember... That furnace, the hot water heater, microwave range vent stove A/C units, all the fancy usb ports are not made by Jayco and are all used on other brands...
Its an industry issue cheap drives everything.
Not defending it
Had our share of issues with slide not working, microwave died, usb ports died, recall on bearings, oxidization on front cap... Jayco fixed everything on their dime.

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 01:27 PM   #9

I am having the same issue and looking at the same rat nest as described above. Can anyone tell me where the sail switch access point is in relation to the picture?
LukSky313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:59 PM   #10

Field Technician unbolted the furnace and twisted it back from the side of the RV and then reached thru the furnace vent on the exterior side to remove and replace the sail switch. I couldn't see anything so I'm at a loss on just how he did it. Hopefully, this sail switch lasts forever.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:04 PM   #11

Looks like you water pump intake hose has sucked itself flat. You might want to fix that too.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote