Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #1

Furniture Material Options - Durability

Hello! First time post for me on here. Our family (myself, wife and boys 8 & 10) are ready to sign on a custom build for a North Point 377rlbh which we are really in love with.

The decision that is really challenging us right now is actually the furniture material for the Thomas Payne couches & theater seats. For 2018, we are between the “Espresso” and the “Cashmere.” We prefer the feel of the suede-like ‘Cashmere’ but are concerned about whether it will show more wear, stains, etc. The ‘Espresso’ meanwhile, seems like it is more durable but is the super-slippery pleather-type material.

So my question is, especially with the ‘suede-like’ Cashmere (or its equivalents), does anyone have experience with this material and it’s durability, cleanability, etc. Would love to hear comments both ways.

Also with the espresso, does the slipperyness annoy you? Has it been durable?

With this huge financial obligation, we want to make sure we are both comfortable while not being paranoid over whether our furniture will stain. Thanks in advance for the advice...
Redbaron32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

Not a fan of the vinyl covered furniture in RV's, most of it is uncomfortable to sit on and looks cheap. We bought used and looked for a unit with cloth. If you are concerned about stains you could spray it with the FabricGuard stuff
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #3
Site Team

We have the suede-like brown on parts of our sofa. We call it "Pleather".

After 6+ years we have not any problems with it. Taking account that we do not have children with us but do have 2 small dogs. It wipes clean and does not show any wear.

My only concern with it was if it ever needed to be recovered. Ours is "L" shaped.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #4

We have the cashmere decor in our 2017 (built March 2017) and it's holding up fine so far. Not hot like vinyl or leather. No idea what it is. I wouldn't call it vinyl or leather. Fake leather? Lol anyways we love the cashmere decor. We factory ordered our unit. I dropped a soda can and it exploded all over the theater setting and couch and it cleaned right up. No stains or such.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #5

I have the sudo-leather type sofas. It's been comfortable for sitting on. Other than the toddler sometimes sliding on it there are no complaints about comfort or durability so far. The sliding she does is with a bit of a running start, or at the very least a jump to try to make distance. There have been a few spills and the instant cleanup is a big benefit. The way I view it though is seating is cheap enough that if it gets ruined over the years I can always replace it with minimal hassle for close or less than the cost of fixing the furniture.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayne View Post
I have the sudo-leather type sofas. It's been comfortable for sitting on. Other than the toddler sometimes sliding on it there are no complaints about comfort or durability so far. The sliding she does is with a bit of a running start, or at the very least a jump to try to make distance. There have been a few spills and the instant cleanup is a big benefit. The way I view it though is seating is cheap enough that if it gets ruined over the years I can always replace it with minimal hassle for close or less than the cost of fixing the furniture.
You are lucky we have a 2017 with the same material and it is peeling, jayco have offered to replace it with like furniture like for like. Looking into other options. Does anyone else have this problem and how was it resolved
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
You are lucky we have a 2017 with the same material and it is peeling, jayco have offered to replace it with like furniture sh-t for sh-t. Looking into other options. Does anyone else have this problem and how was it resolved
If it's a smooth surface it's likely either bicast leather or bonded leather. Neither are full leather. They split and peel. Suede like surfaces are probably microfibre.

We've had home furniture covered with bicast and it didn't last more than a couple of years.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM   #8

Can’t talk to long term durability but we have the espresso in our 2019 377. Two big dogs, two kids (11 and 8). No issues with it over the last 6 months. Don’t notice it being “slippery” at all. We generally like darker to help with the stain factor.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
If it's a smooth surface it's likely either bicast leather or bonded leather. Neither are full leather. They split and peel. Suede like surfaces are probably microfibre.

We've had home furniture covered with bicast and it didn't last more than a couple of years.

And of course it ALWAYS happens when you are out of warranty........
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
You are lucky we have a 2017 with the same material and it is peeling, jayco have offered to replace it with like furniture like for like. Looking into other options. Does anyone else have this problem and how was it resolved

Same thing happening to ours. Warranty period is over..........SOL
Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM   #11

We arrived in Florida for our winter escape in our 2016 Whitehawk 27DSRL with two recliners covered in the slick brown vinyl and noticed cracking in the material on the headrest. So far, our dealer tells us this is not covered by warranty and expects us to pay for the repair. Obviously the material is so cheap it would not last three years.
LarryLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #12

The RV dealer near me that repairs these, said all RV’s have garbage material in the furniture and if it last 2 years you are lucky.