Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wowens79 View Post
Out neighbor had a shower door in their house do that. No one was in the bathroom when it happened, scared the crap out of them.
This happened to us twice. The first time our son was in the shower, no damage to him. Second time no one was in it.
The manufacturer sent their own installer who said oh the frame is not installed straight. This put stress on the glass it wasn't designed for.
He fixed it and it never happened again
2019 Chevrolet Silverado
2017 Grand Design 2150RB (Traded in)
2016 GMC Canyon (Traded in)
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
On Amazon I found a piece of lexan 48" x 24" for $47. The scriber is $8. Looks like I'm going that route. Anybody have the dimensions?
and LEXAN will MELT, not good for heaters?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:36 PM   #23

I had a coal stoker stove with a glass window. After a couple years when you shut the stove off. You’d sit there and as the glass cooled you could hear the glass crack as it cooled. So maybe the glass on your fireplace broke after a side effects from the last time you used it. I’d make sure theirs no heat coming from the fireplace before you use plexiglass. I never checked my fireplace to see if it gets warm. I’d use lexan instead of plexiglas. Lexan can be cut and drilled without fear of cracking. We use to even bend it for light covers. Another think about tempered glass is it can scratch during manufacture which could also possible cause breakage. I have a hugh tempered glass window. When installed new on a sunny day I noticed it was scratched and had to have it replaced under warranty.
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #24

Have to tell you that I didn't notice that here was a slot cut in the glass to allow heat out and access to the control buttons. So the glass around the slot got hot whenever we ran the heater, which was seldom. However, it was probably enough to exacerbate the stresses.
Now I tore into the fireplace and want to say that except for the glass it is well designed from a safety standpoint. The airflow is ported into the blower through it's own duct. The electronics are great. Besides the thermostat it has a Hi-hi, meaning if the thermostat fails it will shut off the heater. It has a proximity sensor on the front in case perhaps something combustible falls against it. It has a fusible link on the heater core that melts breaking the circuit if the blower stops or gets full of dirt, hair, etc. I have only seen one space heater with this level of
redundancy, and that had a tip-over switch. The fireplace doesn't need one.
So to replace the fireplace costs about $300. Furrion is more help as they don't answer their phones nor email, nor filling out their form. As a result we could run it without the glass because of the way it is designed. Since we have a heat pump we only run the LEDs for atmosphere. When we decide to go home I'll design and build a solution to keep the dust out of the log/light portion. Thanks all for you thoughts and suggestions.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
HWhen we decide to go home I'll design and build a solution to keep the dust out of the log/light portion. Thanks all for you thoughts and suggestions.
I've read on other forums that you can actually order replacement parts including the glass from ETrailer.com

I would collect your model number and contact their support asking if they can get that for you.. They have a live chat that you should be able to use for contact.. They re pretty responsive and knowledgeable

www.etrailer.com

good luck.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:17 PM   #26

The only reason I'm not changing the fireplace is that I can control the TV, radio, and fireplace with one remote. To run the Roku, TV, DVD player, and digital recorder requires 4.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
and LEXAN will MELT, not good for heaters?
They're joking
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #28

I'd look into auto safety glass as a replacement before I replaced same with same. Could be a one and done solution with tempered and plastic film sandwich.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote