Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #1

Furrion Observation/Back up Camera

Getting ready to buy our Observation/Back up camera system. There are so many out there it's OVERWHELMING! We decided on the Furrion FOS07TASF 7" Vision S Wireless system. Cheapest price I've found is on Amazon @ $540. It's a little more than a lot of other models but I love the feature that allows you to put the monitor inside your trailer and use it as a security system as well. It comes with a tabletop stand in addition to windshield mount/stand. It has an auto wake feature that lets you know if something is outside behind your trailer. It also has audio and you can actually hear what's going on behind you as well. And night vision. Biggest plus for me is ability to see what's behind you going down the road with mirror image for driver. Pretty cool system, check it out! You can also add additional cameras later if you want, up to 4 total. Touch screen too!

Since our 317RLOK is prewired for a Furrion, we decided easiest decision was to get a Furrion. They also have a 5" monitor that's cheaper, but we prefer 7", OLD EYES!

Just curious if anyone has one and how they like it!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Getting ready to buy our Observation/Back up camera system. There are so many out there it's OVERWHELMING! We decided on the Furrion FOS07TASF 7" Vision S Wireless system. Cheapest price I've found is on Amazon @ $540. It's a little more than a lot of other models but I love the feature that allows you to put the monitor inside your trailer and use it as a security system as well. It comes with a tabletop stand in addition to windshield mount/stand. It has an auto wake feature that lets you know if something is outside behind your trailer. It also has audio and you can actually hear what's going on behind you as well. And night vision. Biggest plus for me is ability to see what's behind you going down the road with mirror image for driver. Pretty cool system, check it out! You can also add additional cameras later if you want, up to 4 total. Touch screen too!

Since our 317RLOK is prewired for a Furrion, we decided easiest decision was to get a Furrion. They also have a 5" monitor that's cheaper, but we prefer 7", OLD EYES!

I may be wrong but I think you need power to the camera for it to appear on the screen if you're TV is not hooked up to the FW.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
I may be wrong but I think you need power to the camera for it to appear on the screen if you're TV is not hooked up to the FW.

Depends on the year. My 2019 powers the camera with the security light and there is a sticker next to the 12 volt outlet in the bedroom for the monitor.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

I’ve been looking at this model to replace the existing Furrion observation camera that came with mine. Then I could add the side cameras that pair with the Vision S system.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
Old 03-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by prm99v6 View Post
Depends on the year. My 2019 powers the camera with the security light and there is a sticker next to the 12 volt outlet in the bedroom for the monitor.
Nice, that feature is not on our 2018 NP but I assume will be on our new Pinnacle.........will check it out.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-01-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
DRE

Quote:

Just got done installing the Furrion FOS07TASF 7" Vision S Wireless system in my 2018 CKTS. I was prewired to work with the Tow Vehicle lights. I located the orange wire in the bedroom behind and up above the AC Thermostat. I used the switch for the overhead LED lights to connect to the camera. I then added a dimmer switch to control the bright a** lights in the bedroom. Had to switch the green wire with the orange wire behind the camera. Now the camera can be switched off/on in the bedroom for observation. Havn't tried it from inside the truck yet but I'm sure it will be ok. Just have to remember to switch the camera off when not using.
Attached Thumbnails
cam switch.jpg   cam.jpg  
Old 03-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #7

Nice setup.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

If anyone wants to sell their old Furrion, please pm me. Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #9

We have a 2019 Jayco 317RLOK and it has a 12v DC plug in our bedroom. We plan to plug the monitor in there and use as a security monitor. We want to wait to add additional cameras till we’re sure we like the system and see how much of a blind spot we experience and the possible need for additional cameras on sides of 5th wheel. Costs to add 2 side cameras is $258. With initial purchase being so expensive at $540 we’re goimg to wait.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #10

Very nice. I wanted to get the 4 camera system but no one has installed it yet. Thanks for posting

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #11

What do you mean when you say “security light”? Not sure what you’re talking about. We have a 2019 Jayco 317RLOK. What model do you have. Just wondering if we have same “security light” you’re referring to.
Thanks
Old 03-01-2019, 11:33 PM   #12
DRE

Quote:
What do you mean when you say “security light”? Not sure what you’re talking about. We have a 2019 Jayco 317RLOK. What model do you have. Just wondering if we have same “security light” you’re referring to.
Thanks
I looked at the 2019 317RLOK and don't remember seeing a switch for the camera. Maybe I missed it. Not sure what is meant by "security light" either. I have the monitor plugged in to the 12V socket in the bedroom but you still need power to the camera. If the camera is wired to the "reverse or running lights" you would have to have the TV 7-pin connected with the ignition on to use as observation. Jayco provides a wire to install a switch with the camera prep. It is usually orange or purple and is found behind the bedroom light switch or thermostat if you have second AC. It can sometimes be found behind the command center switch panel for slides, pumps etc. You then have to swap the wires behind the camera mount bracket. 2019 models may be different.
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:54 AM   #13

I believe the security light camera is supposed to be installed above the front door by (or in place of) the light. When you turn on the light switch, the camera is powered.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE View Post
I looked at the 2019 317RLOK and don't remember seeing a switch for the camera. Maybe I missed it. Not sure what is meant by "security light" either. I have the monitor plugged in to the 12V socket in the bedroom but you still need power to the camera. If the camera is wired to the "reverse or running lights" you would have to have the TV 7-pin connected with the ignition on to use as observation. Jayco provides a wire to install a switch with the camera prep. It is usually orange or purple and is found behind the bedroom light switch or thermostat if you have second AC. It can sometimes be found behind the command center switch panel for slides, pumps etc. You then have to swap the wires behind the camera mount bracket. 2019 models may be different.

Interesting. I’ll have to pull the light switch in the bedroom. I don’t see a purple or orange wore behind the thermostat in the bedroom. I presumed that the security light switch turned the camera on. I have a jumper for the trailer connection that will power the camera ( but also running lights).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5899.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	47490

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5898.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	47491

Old 03-02-2019, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Interesting. I’ll have to pull the light switch in the bedroom. I don’t see a purple or orange wore behind the thermostat in the bedroom. I presumed that the security light switch turned the camera on. I have a jumper for the trailer connection that will power the camera ( but also running lights).

Attachment 47490

Attachment 47491
On my North Point the security light switch controls the round light on the passenger side at the rear top and the blue light that illuminates the Jayco emblem on the Moryde steps. Don't know if it also powers up the rear camera.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
On my North Point the security light switch controls the round light on the passenger side at the rear top and the blue light that illuminates the Jayco emblem on the Moryde steps. Don't know if it also powers up the rear camera.

I know. My dealer told me it turned in the camera at the same time. I just checked and it does not.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:34 PM   #17

Quote:
I know. My dealer told me it turned in the camera at the same time. I just checked and it does not.
Have you figured out a way to power up the camera while camping?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-02-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
DRE

Quote:

Attachment 47490

Attachment 47491
I had to fish up in the wall for the orange wire and then it just reached about 2 inches into the hole for thermostat wires. I attached sheet that you should have with your warranty package. It's possible that there may be a switch in your utility center or battery compartment also. I saw this on some 2017 models.
Attached Thumbnails
20190302_123609.jpg  
DRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #19

Quote:
I had to fish up in the wall for the orange wire and then it just reached about 2 inches into the hole for thermostat wires. I attached sheet that you should have with your warranty package. It's possible that there may be a switch in your utility center or battery compartment also. I saw this on some 2017 models.
If you do the optional wiring setup will the camera still be operational when towing? I would assume you would have to leave the switch on to accomplish that, correct?
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks. I’ll dig around.