Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-22-2019, 04:23 PM   #1

Furrion Observation System - Hook up??

2 Questions relating to installation:

1. Initially had problems with connecting to the camera and to the CORRECT camera. It automatically pairs to "door camera". We wanted back camera because it's the only camera that the "backup guidelines" will work. So if you want this feature to work, it's got to pair with back camera. Couldn't figure it out so we had to call Furrion. They helped unpair and then pair up with the back camera. Then, we couldn't get camera to connect. Turns out you must have BOTH 7way plug hooked up (which we knew since it needs power since it's powered via the running lights) AND your headlights have to be turned ON, not in AUTO mode. So, you have to drive with your headlights on or the camera will not be powered. We thought it would work once 7way pin was plugged in. That was frustrating! Now we have to add one more thing to our list of "TO DO's" TURN off truck headlights.

2. Now we're trying to power the camera inside the 5th wheel via the "magical orange" colored wire behind the bedroom light switch. Found it! Now a "stupid" question, what do we do with it? I am NOT even close to being an electrician or handyman. So, do you have to have 2 wires for the turn on/off to work? If so, what other wire? Or do you "splice" the orange wire? Not even sure I'm asking right question. We bought a light switch on Amazon but not sure how the wiring works to allow the switch to turn power on/off to camera so we can utilize it as a security camera when RV is parked.

Thanks!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
2 Questions relating to installation:

1. Initially had problems with connecting to the camera and to the CORRECT camera. It automatically pairs to "door camera". We wanted back camera because it's the only camera that the "backup guidelines" will work. So if you want this feature to work, it's got to pair with back camera. Couldn't figure it out so we had to call Furrion. They helped unpair and then pair up with the back camera. Then, we couldn't get camera to connect. Turns out you must have BOTH 7way plug hooked up (which we knew since it needs power since it's powered via the running lights) AND your headlights have to be turned ON, not in AUTO mode. So, you have to drive with your headlights on or the camera will not be powered. We thought it would work once 7way pin was plugged in. That was frustrating! Now we have to add one more thing to our list of "TO DO's" TURN off truck headlights.

2. Now we're trying to power the camera inside the 5th wheel via the "magical orange" colored wire behind the bedroom light switch. Found it! Now a "stupid" question, what do we do with it? I am NOT even close to being an electrician or handyman. So, do you have to have 2 wires for the turn on/off to work? If so, what other wire? Or do you "splice" the orange wire? Not even sure I'm asking right question. We bought a light switch on Amazon but not sure how the wiring works to allow the switch to turn power on/off to camera so we can utilize it as a security camera when RV is parked.

Thanks!

When we picked up our new Jayco, it had a backup camera. At the dealership, I plug it into the bedroom 12v cigarette adapter and turn it on - nothing, nada, bupkis. I ask the sales guy and his sidekick about it and get the typical deer-in-the-headlights look. I figured the camera had to be paired up and sync'd before you could use it. Later when I hitched up, I had the receiver in the cab plugged in and bingo - it's working.

So it dawns on me, the backup camera is wired to the running lights for power and those aren't powered until they're plugged into the bed of my truck (lights on). Knowing this, it works fine while driving down the road and parking the beast. What I'd like to know is figure out how to power the camera on to use while camping (AND towing later).

Suggestions appreciated!
Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

You will need to add another switch. I replaced my bedroom light switch with a dual switch. The orange goes to one side of the new switch. You then need to tap in to the positive side of your bedroom switch wire. That + wire now goes to the other side of the new switch. I guess you could also just tie the orange wire into the + wire to the bedroom switch. This would always give you power to the camera if that’s what you want.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
You will need to add another switch. I replaced my bedroom light switch with a dual switch. The orange goes to one side of the new switch. You then need to tap in to the positive side of your bedroom switch wire. That + wire now goes to the other side of the new switch. I guess you could also just tie the orange wire into the + wire to the bedroom switch. This would always give you power to the camera if that’s what you want.

If the camera is tied into the trailer lights, wouldn't that be running off 12V? If you add a switch in the bedroom, wouldn't that be 120V like at home or are you still on 12V?
Old 03-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #5
DRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerbacker_TX View Post
If the camera is tied into the trailer lights, wouldn't that be running off 12V? If you add a switch in the bedroom, wouldn't that be 120V like at home or are you still on 12V?
As Ripin said. I added a dimmer switch to for the overhead lights and used the original switch for the camera off/on.

Packerbacker, the lights in the rig are all 12v circuits.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...era-64969.html