Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #1

Fusion backup camera and wiring

I know this has been discussed a number of times. I am just overloaded with reading and watching all the different scenarios about the pre-wired wirings on 5th wheels. I admit I am the dumbest person for electrical, volt meters, 12 volts system ,etc. I watch Youtube and they must all think we know everything about volt/ohm meters etc. They never show how to do the testing for positive wiring, negative wiring etc, so here is my wordy issue I need to know.
I have a furrion backup/observation with 4" monitor. I pulled out the center small round light on the back of my 5th wheel (2016 North Point 341RLTS). I have a white wire from the light to a white wire of the RV, I have a green wire from the RV spliced to a black wire that feeds the light, I have a blue wire that is looped that I assume is the power for the backup camera.
I exposed the existing wire splice for the white wire and the green/black wire. I took my meter and put the red lead from meter to green/black wire and the black lead to the white wire splice. The meter didn't read anything or maybe a negative. I switched and put the black lead from meter to the white wire splice and the red lead from meter to the green/black wire splice. I read 12.38 or something like that. So I take it that the green/black wire is the ground. I then put the black lead from the meter to the blue wire splice (think it is power supplied for future camera) and the red lead from the meter to the green/black wire splice and it read 12+ volts. So, my camera wiring should be connected as follows; the red camera light wire to the green/black RV wiring, the black camera wire to the blue RV wire. Please don't get discouraged treading as I am at wits end. Help me if you can shine some light. If you want to talk and walk me through it let me know as I am trying to fin fish up the connection tomorrow. Thanking for taking time to read this wordy post.
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #2

hammerhead, check this out and see if it helps. SKIDAWG
2022 RAM 3500 6.7L
Ruger, Rhodesian Ridgebacks
ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #3

That the one I actually watched a number of times. He doesn’t show you how he test the wires. Just shows the meter reading and states the wire he says is ground and the hot. But he doesn’t show how to put the meter connectors to which wire. I am a visual type leaner, I guess I don’t get the common sense part of power. Thank you so much. I will watch it again to see if I get the message.
Old 03-18-2021, 11:51 AM   #4

Thank you Skidawg. I did watch the video a few more times. As mention I am all screwed up. On my wire testing I was thinking the black lead on the meter was the power and red negative. Now I know the red meter lead is the hot. The RV wiring makes more sense and I will be double checking tomorrow. It looks I will be connecting just like the video shows.
Thank again.