Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Question Gas Bottle selector switch

Can't seem to get the inside tank to register green inside the bubble when I switch over. Anyone else had this trouble? Suggestions?
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Site Team

The new gas valves have a safety feature, so if opened too fast, they'll think there's a leak, and shut down. Try closing the valve on the tank and wait a while. Then open it very slowly, and see if it shows green on the regulator. If not, check the gas hose for an internal collapse.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

This

is good to know. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The new gas valves have a safety feature, so if opened too fast, they'll think there's a leak, and shut down. Try closing the valve on the tank and wait a while. Then open it very slowly, and see if it shows green on the regulator. If not, check the gas hose for an internal collapse.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #4

The key is to open the gas valve really slowly so the safety valve does not kick in. I have done a few other things to release the free flow safety valve.
- Close the tank valves.
- Try to light the stove,to release any pressure in the gas line.
- Wait a few minutes. then slowly open the tank valves.
- Sometimes, I have had to take the gas line off the tank too, while waiting a few minutes.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

The pigtail could be bad blocking or restricting the flow to make the indicator change. Also the little single stage regulator (normally red) next to the tank on the opposite side can be bad blocking or restricting the flow as well. In the past I've have pigtails go bad and the little red regulator.

The indicator working one way and not the other means restricted or blocked flow from that tank. Pigtail, red regulator, empty or low tank. OPD valve locked from opening it too fast.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #6

The tag on my regulator clearly states that it will only show green when the primary tank is lined up. If I use the backup as primary, it will show red, everything works, and it will auto switch when the bottle is empty. I have used it this way for 4 years and never not have propane available. Just returned from 7,500 miles, 7 week trip out west. Used 4 bottles of propane. I will use the backup as primary every other fill up just to ensure it works correctly. Never have had a issue.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabMan View Post
The tag on my regulator clearly states that it will only show green when the primary tank is lined up. If I use the backup as primary, it will show red, everything works, and it will auto switch when the bottle is empty. I have used it this way for 4 years and never not have propane available. Just returned from 7,500 miles, 7 week trip out west. Used 4 bottles of propane. I will use the backup as primary every other fill up just to ensure it works correctly. Never have had a issue.
All my regulators turned green on full cylinders and red on empties. That's 4 different trailers.

Cylinder goes empty, it turns red and auto switches over to the other tank. Than you turn the regulator lever to the full tank and it turns green. That's how all mine worked.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #8

Mine is a original equipment on a 2014 Jayco Octane and it has a tag on the regulator that explains exactly what I entered. Not saying they all work like that, but mine sure does. I will take a picture of it tomorrow if I can figure how to post it. I have had multiple campers and truck campers since 1972. This is my first with a auto switching regulator, not disputing what anyone else has, but I know how the one I have functions. Just trying to help the op is case he has a similar setup.
LabMan is offline   Reply With Quote