Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #21

Since being in Montana, I've seen several stations offer red dyed diesel for as little as $1.58 a gallon. No taxes on red diesel. It's the very same as any other diesel just dyed red.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Since being in Montana, I've seen several stations offer red dyed diesel for as little as $1.58 a gallon. No taxes on red diesel. It's the very same as any other diesel just dyed red.
Red Diesel is regular diesel with a dye pack dropped into the tank at the point of delivery.

Red Diesel is for Agricultural, off-road Earth moving equipment that is exempt from road fuel taxes. The reason for the dye? to stain your fuel system on the vehicle, filters have clear housings for a reason. If you are found with red fuel components on a vehicle that touches the highway - the vehicle and in some states the operator is in violation. Vehicles often get red-tagged.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:38 PM   #23

Man, this is great info to hear sometime when I drive on the Interstate and see the high prices I will drive a little farther just so I can get a cheaper price diesel but funny is the one that I just pass is most of the time cheaper, lol. So but I did download the Gas Buddy App on my phone so I can be ahead of the game.

My diesel mouth fill hole is the large one, I did coming back from my last RV trip I went on the trucker side to fill up my tank but the one thing that I had to do since I didn't have the TSD or the EFS card I had to go in and give them the amount that I want, luckily I went over so that the rest of my amount were back on my card.

After looking at the YouTube videos and reading up on it they can save you some money most of the time anyway. Going to the camp ground I had to stop for diesel fuel so I went into Love's and man after going there and trying to turn around after refueling I seen that it was going to be a job but doable.

I just want to be able if I can so I can go and fuel in and out, I might not use it all the time but I want to be able to have that options.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #24

The reason I put an auxiliary tank in my TV was to avoid truck stops just off the freeway. I haven't stopped at a truck station since installing my aux tank. I just take my TV to a regular station the day before we leave a CG based on my Gas Buddy app and end up saving upwards to 50 cents a gallon.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #25

Another thing to bear in mind. Some states charge two tiers of fuel tax on Diesel. In Arizona, The Diesel fuel tax is $0.26/gallon for vehicles over 26k GVWR and $0.18/gallon for "light class" vehicles. (Arizona)

So Truck pumps can be higher priced than the Regular pumps - for that reason alone.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #26

I have successfully used a regular (VISA) credit card at the big rig pumps many times.
The one thing to remember is that they pre-authorize at least $100 that will stay for a few days.
Also, the DEF is much cheaper than buying the box.

2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
lhpelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
Red Diesel is regular diesel with a dye pack dropped into the tank at the point of delivery.

Red Diesel is for Agricultural, off-road Earth moving equipment that is exempt from road fuel taxes. The reason for the dye? to stain your fuel system on the vehicle, filters have clear housings for a reason. If you are found with red fuel components on a vehicle that touches the highway - the vehicle and in some states the operator is in violation. Vehicles often get red-tagged.

Yeah be careful. In a previous life I worked at an Airport FBO/ Cessna dealer. The driving public, especially bikers, would often drive up and want to buy our 100 octane low-lead avgas for their vehicles. We had to turn them away because if we were caught selling gas (besides to airplanes) with no paid highway taxes, the penalties were harsh.

If you think the feds are tough, states are RABID when it comes to protecting tax revenue.
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
Yeah be careful. In a previous life I worked at an Airport FBO/ Cessna dealer. The driving public, especially bikers, would often drive up and want to buy our 100 octane low-lead avgas for their vehicles. We had to turn them away because if we were caught selling gas (besides to airplanes) with no paid highway taxes, the penalties were harsh.

If you think the feds are tough, states are RABID when it comes to protecting tax revenue.
Just like catching Moonshiners.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #29

Pre retirement I worked in the fuel auditing field. Red dyed diesel fuel is marked" red dyed diesel fuel, off road use only, penalty for taxable use." Between state and federal the penalties are at least $2,000 each licensed motor vehicle with Red Dyed in it.

They test by taking a small sample out of your tank and inspecting it.

A lot of farmers and small businesses have gotten caught and paid big time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Pre retirement I worked in the fuel auditing field. Red dyed diesel fuel is marked" red dyed diesel fuel, off road use only, penalty for taxable use." Between state and federal the penalties are at least $2,000 each licensed motor vehicle with Red Dyed in it.

So now are these pump that have the red dyed fuel is it located in the front store or is it at another location at the store, meaning if I pull up at the regular pump is it located where I can see it?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post

Yes... And the fine in AZ is minimum $1,000 or $10/gallon. That fuel count can be in any tank on the vehicle. If they catch a fuel tanker using non taxed fuel - they count the cargo gallons too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Just like catching Moonshiners.
Actually way easier... all they need to do is look at your fuel filter. The dye does not easily go away on tank walls or the filter canister with the next tank of fuel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

Some states have Agricultural vehicles exempted, and others will offer exemptions during harvest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
So now are these pump that have the red dyed fuel is it located in the front store or is it at another location at the store, meaning if I pull up at the regular pump is it located where I can see it?
Where we fuel our Seneca, the Off-road pump is on the same island that the truck pumps are on - with a RED hose and RED nozzle. It is clearly marked.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #32

Oh, okay.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
The TSD program works for more than Pilot/Flying J. As a matter of info., as of a few months ago, it does not give a discount at Pilot/Flying J. Seems as if Camping World had an exclusive contract with Pilot/Flying J for RV discount diesel fuel.
That is correct. It still does not work with Pilot/Flying J Just came back from a trip and the app showed a lot of stations but not those. Saved anywhere from $6.00 a fill up to $15.00 a fill up. I am very happy with the TSD card. Alsa a T/A is right down the street from my work and I pay $1.97 per gallon right now there. At home it is $2.87 a gallon.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #34

I found that when I used my debt card at truck pump it automatically takes out $500. My bank would not allow that. I call and explained that I needed to use my card at these pumps. They fixed it. I've gone to the RV pumps at FlyingJ and takes forever, plus have to do it twice because it cuts off before I'm full. At a Pilot can't get in regular pump with 36' MH and 24' trailer.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #35

The TSD card is amazing. So my experience is with only using it at TA truck stops. TA has by far the largest discount for this card. They do a daily update on TA prices as the discount is location specific. I've seen anything from 50 cents a gallon off to upwards of $1 off a gallon. My list fuel up was for 26 gallons and the total was $65.00 at the pump. When I got billed the total was $44. $21 in savings. They also recently announced the fee for use went up because of the people using the card at pilot. Using this card at the pilot will actually be more expensive then the advertised price. I also too a cash advance off once and TSD dose not charge a fee for cash advance but most truck stops do charge a fee for it. Cheaper then an ATM? Maybe but much more convenient. No discount on DEF but buying it at the pump vs in the bottle is already 50% or more Cheaper. Its also fresher because it never sits for long. Keep in mind buying diesel from truck stops is better also because its delivered multiple times per day and stays fresher also.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:31 PM   #36

After some frustrating times trying to get in to diesel pumps at regular gas stations, now only use the truck lanes for the diesel and got the J pilot credit card with auto pay. Works great. Only problem, at Loves, or some others still have to go in and pre pay with a regular card so we try to avoid that.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawags45 View Post
That is correct. It still does not work with Pilot/Flying J Just came back from a trip and the app showed a lot of stations but not those. Saved anywhere from $6.00 a fill up to $15.00 a fill up. I am very happy with the TSD card. Alsa a T/A is right down the street from my work and I pay $1.97 per gallon right now there. At home it is $2.87 a gallon.

Wait a minute, you mean that the TSD card don't support the Flying J and Pilot, I was under the impressing that they do, hmmm I see that I really have to do some more search? We have a lot of Pilot and Loves here but I haven't seen too many T/A station.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #38

Okay I ran across this. https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-938/
Old 08-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Okay I ran across this. https://www.rvtravel.com/diesel-938/
I had no problem finding a Loves and TSD says they are the bigger discount. But on my trip Loves was a good discount but the T/A was better. However This T/A is close to my work and diesel fuel and gas is cheaper in this area.

Larry Wagner
Stewartstown PA
2019 Jayco Pinnacle 36SSWS (Louise)
2019 Chevelet Silverado 3500 Dully Duramax Engine (Allison Transmission) (Thelma)
pawags45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #40

Used this same program several times now. Average about $.35/gallon savings and no hassles at the pump.
Ficek716 is offline   Reply With Quote