Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #1

generators

Hi, I have just bought a 2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS and would like to know what generator is the best one for this camper? It seems something is draining the battery, even with everything turned off. I would also like to know what the 2 orange switches just inside the doorway below the light switches are for please?

Thanks
komatsodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:56 PM   #2

There are a few parasite power drains on the battery. Jayco adds a disconnect, but it does not disconnect everything. Couple of the biggies is the Jacommand and gas/propane detectors. Best to add a master disconnect at the battery.

As for what generator, that can be hard to answer. 1st make sure it is an inverter genny. They are much quieter, and have cleaner power, modern electronics require.

Size wise, do you want to run everything, or just some stuff? Personally, I like two smaller generators with a parallel kit, verses on big genny. Bigger they are the heavier they are. Where are you storing it?

Brand wise, Hondas and Yamaha are well known as the best. Some people swear by the Harbor Frieght Predators. I have a Champion dual fuel and love it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 10:24 AM   #3

The command center modem, gas sensor, fire alarm and radio will consume power with the main shut off.. I added a 150A switch in the battery compartment to completely shut down the batteries. I have a Champion 4500W Inverter/Generator (open frame) w/ remote start and it works great powering my Coach when i'm not using Solar. This generator will run both myt AC's as long is i have the elect heat off and not running anything else. The Champion weighs in at 100lbs, it's pretty quite and doesn't consume much fuel.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #4

generators

Agree, have a FULL battery disconnect installed. Anytime you leave it without shore power plugged in you need to completely disconnect the batteries and when you come back your battery will still have close to the same power as it had when you left.

Second solution, if it’s out in the open, add a 100+ watt solar panel to keep the batteries charged.

I do have 2 Honda 2000w generators, works very Well. Don’t use them much since I installed our solar panels.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
CAG

Firstly add a battery cutoff if you do not have one and it sounds like you do not. Then do a Google search and you will find some professional help in deciding.

https://rvshare.com/blog/select-best-rv-generator-rv/

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:06 AM   #6

Smile Generator

Champion 3500 4 or 5 years old runs fine. Replacing first starter battery small and expensive well 25 bucks plus tax.LOL still heavy to move around at bout 90lbs.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #7

As others have stated you will have a parasitic draw even with factory battery cutoff switch. Easiest remedy would be to disconnect batteries " in place" to address the problem. Better yet remove and store qith appropriate trickle charger attached. A 3500 watt range portable " inverter" generator will power 1 a/c and all other low draw a/c needs simultaneously. You may need to load manage additional high draw accessories at that generator level. If you want to run everything without regards to power consumed a onboard 5500 or greater gen. is in order. Significant $ and weight investment. Are you just trying to keep batteries up while storing and only plan on camping full hookups? If so skip the generator and get a trickle charger .
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #8

If worried about keeping your batteries charged I would think about a solar system to keep the batteries topped off, you’ll save some cash and one less worry as they are darn near maintenance free too.
Exproduceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:54 PM   #9

X3 on the solar. Best money spent.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:43 PM   #10

We had a 7000 Onan generator (gas) installed in our unit. Our unit was gen prep for gas (not LP like others). We thought about getting portable units.

After talking to our service techs, it was decided to get the bigger unit so if DW decides to make coffee, run her darn blow dryer, the A/C units and I need to run the microwave, I don't have to worry about anything blowing.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #11

As Jagiven mentioned, I'm a die-hard Harbor Freight fan of the Predator 3500. It may not be the best unit on the market but for our use, it powers everything in our 264BHW when needed. It's very quiet and efficient. Not to mention it only cost me $700 on sale 2-1/2 years ago. Last week, HF had them on sale for $799. Keep your eye open and they will be on sale again
Old 04-30-2022, 02:17 PM   #12

We have an Onan 5500 Gas Unit in our 2005 J Designer and it has been a great unit. Like everything mechanical, you have to change filters,oil, plugs etc and by doing that it won't let you down.I also use seafoam in the gas to keep it fresh and it helps keep the carb. free from varnish.
corv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:03 AM   #13

We have a 2918 FBTS I have a Oran 5500 it runs just about anything I have needed the few times I have needed it. Having said that if you are not boon docking you don’t really need that much power. The plus side is it is installed and wired so when you need it it is simple to start.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
This generator will run both myt AC's as long is i have the elect heat off and not running anything else. .
I had to chuckle a little at this statement.