Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2021, 05:22 PM   #21

Like JDug66, we use our Verizon phones as hot spots for our Philips Roku tv. Our daughter, the techie insisted that I buy a Roku tv. I had no idea what she was talking about but I did. Hallelujah! It sorta turns your tv into a big smartphone. And nearly all satellite and cable companies have apps that you can use, just like at home

However, here is where I ask a follow-up question.

Sometimes buffering becomes an issue. Will a 5G phone stream better?
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzellers5 View Post
Like JDug66, we use our Verizon phones as hot spots for our Philips Roku tv. Our daughter, the techie insisted that I buy a Roku tv. I had no idea what she was talking about but I did. Hallelujah! It sorta turns your tv into a big smartphone. And nearly all satellite and cable companies have apps that you can use, just like at home

However, here is where I ask a follow-up question.

Depends on the network where you are. I have 5G phones that where I live the internet data is terrible and cuts out at times. When I'm in a different area it flies. Something wrong with the towers here. I've had them working on it but still not good.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #23

and you have to rescan every time you interupt power; you can reduce (some) nuisance using a cheap UPS if down time not too long? A SMART DIGITAL FLAT SCREEN CAN BE CHEAP today, might be worth shopping online even if you decide not worth it right now? Go measure for size, and they are measured diagonal.
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
and you have to rescan every time you interupt power; you can reduce (some) nuisance using a cheap UPS if down time not too long? A SMART DIGITAL FLAT SCREEN CAN BE CHEAP today, might be worth shopping online even if you decide not worth it right now? Go measure for size, and they are measured diagonal.
We had the new one go out in our motorhome and didn't claim it under warranty, we just went out and bought a new 50 inch smart tv. It works so much better than the original
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:16 PM   #25

Our TT is a 2013 model, i switched the Wynguard crank up antenna with a Wynguard digital antenna. It mounted easily in the spot where the old antenna was. It has a similar directional capability as the old antenna. We have used it for about 5 days and it appears to be a better performing antenna.
baehrelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:38 PM   #26

Skip the TV and read a book.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzellers5 View Post

I agree w/ Bayou. We're too early in the 5G rollout to answer that. Eventually (like in a couple of years), yes, a 5G phone should be faster that 4G LTE, etc.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:20 AM   #28

Make sure you have a digital TV antenna.

Wingard makes a decent RZ6000 digital unit for about $120. The configuration is much different than the old batwing style.

It fits in the same hole as your old one and I get around 20-30 channels consistently.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFOracing View Post
Make sure you have a digital TV antenna.

Wingard makes a decent RZ6000 digital unit for about $120. The configuration is much different than the old batwing style.

It fits in the same hole as your old one and I get around 20-30 channels consistently.
Where we live now I get 20-30 channels or a few more but most of them aren't anything I'm interested in. With luck you get 4-5 that what you are looking for.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #30

Modern TV is coming.

Keep your ear to the ground. After the next few rounds of Starlink satellites are launched and in place, there will likely be news on the satellite data front. Starlink will eventually be going mobile meaning that you/we will be able to use their internet service to stream at 300mbs everywhere.

This will come about in order to offer internet service to ocean-going vessels as well as aircraft in motion. We campers will benefit when the service is approved.
Iadave is offline   Reply With Quote