Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #1

Getting satellite receiver output to bedroom TV

We have a Pathway X2 satellite dish with a Wally receiver. It works well with an HDMI connection from the Wally to the living area TV. I know I could get a 2nd Wally and use for the bedroom TV but the TV location on the bedroom wall doesn't have a good place to locate the Wally. We don't need to run both TV's at the same time so my goal is to simply get the Wally output to the bedroom.

I just read a post where someone used an HDMI splitter and ran an HDMI cable under the RV in a conduit to the bedroom TV. I believe I have figured out a way to get the signal to the bedroom TV using the existing coax cable. See the attached schematic drawing below.

I would use the Wally RCA Red/Yellow/White output and run that to an RCA RF modulator that has a coax output. The RF modulator coax output and the existing powered antenna/cable output coax would be connected to a coax A/B switch. I would connect the A/B switch outlet to the existing cable to the bedroom television. When using the roof antenna or the DVD player the A/B switch selection would send the signal to the bedroom TV as it does now. When we want the satellite signal to go to the bedroom TV we would power down the TV antenna, power up the RF modulator and set the A/B switch to the satellite position.

So, for those who have a lot more knowledge than me about satellite/DVD player/TV connectivity see any flaws in my logic?

Thanks in advance,
Dwayne
Attached Thumbnails
Wally connection to bedroom TV schematic.jpg  
Old 05-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #2

I have a Direct TV receiver up front and have it hooked up to an HDMI extender that sends an HDMI signal to the rear TV via a wireless connection. Works like a champ. No wires to run!

The unit consists of a transmitter and a receiver. The HDMI output from the Direct TV receiver feeds the transmitter which in turn has an HDMI output to feed the front TV. The receiver connects to the bedroom TV via HDMI.

Granted, you have to watch the same program on both TVs but that is not a problem. I only use the bedroom TV when we are shut down up front.

The front TV does not need to be on for the rear to work. To control the Direct TV receiver I just use an RF remote so I don't need to aim my remote at the Direct TV unit.

He is a link to one on Amazon. There are main different versions out there, I just picked one at random to show what I am talking about.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...tronics&sr=1-3
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #3

Jayco will send you the cable/satellite wire schematic if you request it, have your serial number handy. I received it in a couple of hours from my email request. From there you can see where everything is. It showed me that the cable and satellite systems were independent of each other but by moving the cable feed to the bedroom to satellite feed, using a splitter behind the radio in the living room, I send the satellite signal to the bedroom and use an IR signal extender to control the box in the living room, from the bedroom. Cost of a splitter and $40.00 for the IR extender. Very low tech, no switches, one receiver. Works great.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #4

I think my issue would be that the Wally receiver doesn't have a coax cable output. It only has HDMI and RCA red, white & Yellow. So I don't see how I could just use a coax splitter.

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #5

My bad, not familiar with the Wally box, we only have a standard def box so it’s all coax. It also caused panic when I realized if we were to go high def then we’d be in the same boat so I searched the topic converting HDMI to coax and found a few ways to do that with adapters, some involving rca cables as well.
I don’t pretend to understand it all but it can be done.
Maybe wireless is the best/easiest way, just a little more expensive.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 01:14 PM   #6

I just installed a HDMI wireless extender to transmit from the Wally receiver in the living room to the bedroom TV. Works really good. The transmitter is in the cabinet above the living room TV with the door closed and the HDMI receiver is in the bedroom and the signal is still excellent.........I'm a happy camper now!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:46 PM   #7

I went with a 211z dish box. This was prior to the new wally box. It has coaxial connection. I ran a coaxial cable from the TV thru the floor thru the cargo area and leave it tucked during travel. The Pathway has a repeat (auxiliary) line output and then I use a double male connector. Cost effective. Seen one on Facebook/item/339928096940066/

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote