Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

GFCI puzzle

We started having a problem with our GFCI circuit. Any load greater than a small nite light would drop voltage from 120ish down to 38v on all outlets in circuit. I had a replacement so changed GFCI plug. All works for ONE day. Look further & loose wire at breaker, tighten & again works for awhile.
Suspected breaker probably got hot & arched internally while lug loose. Replaced breaker, same senerio . I start isolating plugs & checking from main breaker feeding our rv shed panel all the way back to rv panel. It got my 50 plus years of hvac, electronics, & electrical trouble shooting stumped.
I'm laying on the floor staring at my rv breakers when the fog lifts. The white neutral was tied down on the ground bus & not the neutral bus. Moved it to proper bus ( buses split since its considered a sub feed breaker panel ). How did it ever work unless the factory GFCI has been bad since new ? I understand how the GFCI senses the current imbalance from hot to neutral , any way I thought I did
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #2

Surprised any outlets worked. Maybe the ground was touching the neutral in the GFCI outlet.