Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

Giraffe G4 Height Clearance Warning System

Hello all. Fairly new to the forum. Been traveling with our 2017 Open Range 2910RL for two years so not "brand new" to towing and camping. I searched for the above thread, didn't come up with anything. Looking to hear from anyone that has the Giraffe G4 height clearance system. We have a 2019 Jayco 355mbqs on order and concerned about the height hooked up to my 2018 Ram 3500 SRW. Jayco says it's 13'6" high. We'll see. My question is is the system worth the $249 cost? Obviously, if it saves me one time from crushing the A/Cs it's paid for itself. Just not sure how practical it is to bring it out on every trip. I understand there are travel apps out there that also list any low clearances but are they reliable? I know nothing is more reliable than an actual measurement on my rig but it's possible not all overpasses are marked correctly and low hanging branches in campgrounds never are, lol. One additional question about TPMSs. I would assume most people remove the sensors from the tires after a trip and placing on the storage lot to prevent theft? Thoughts?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #2

I am interested in hearing from someone with first hand experience- we use a Garmin RV 760 LMT GPS and it has worked very well - you program your height- weight- length and it will route you around areas that have clearance or weight restrictions Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
I am interested in hearing from someone with first hand experience- we use a Garmin RV 760 LMT GPS and it has worked very well - you program your height- weight- length and it will route you around areas that have clearance or weight restrictions Les
+1 on the Garmin RV 760. Not familiar with the Giraffe product though...

1GreatScouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 PM   #4

X-2 on the Garmin 760.
I had one of my kids go up on the roof and held the tape measure at the top of the radio antenna, wrote down the height. Then, I had him hold the tape measure 1 foot above the top of the A/C and wrote the measurements. In my case, I am good on anything over 13 feet, (being safe) so that is what I programmed as my limit in the GPS.

Best thing you can do is hook up to the truck, park on level ground and MEASURE. Then you know for sure.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
One additional question about TPMSs. I would assume most people remove the sensors from the tires after a trip and placing on the storage lot to prevent theft? Thoughts?
I remove mine not so much for theft prevention, but to remove the batteries from the sensor transmitters. I have the Tire Minder system and I've been replacing batteries too frequently, faster than I expected. Remember to replace them with the original dust caps.

Hog3loves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog3loves View Post
I remove mine not so much for theft prevention, but to remove the batteries from the sensor transmitters. I have the Tire Minder system and I've been replacing batteries too frequently, faster than I expected. Remember to replace them with the original dust caps.
You might want to give Tire Minder a call. My batteries last over a year. I even leave mine on during the winter so I cam monitor the tire pressure even though the tires are covered.

I called Tire Minder because I was possibly having a minor problem with the monitor. They promptly replaced toe monitor at no charge.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote