Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #1

Glue

We just finished a 5000 mile trip over a lot of rough roads. One of the casualties was an eight foot piece of trim over a large slide. It was only held in place with nine 3/4" dots of glue and a few very small gauge staples.

I am ready to glue it back on now that I am back home. Does anyone have a type of glue they recommend that will stand up to the rough roads we have?

Thanks

PS - The worst road on the trip was the East bound I40 through Williams Arizona. Besides the trim, it also caused tire separation on one of my truck tires.
ccsest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #2

More Glue

I forgot to mention, the glue job is wood on wood. The plywood is bare, and I will scrape off the existing glue spots. The trim is wood, and is either a dark wood or has been stained. I will be sanding the trim just to be sure it is ready for joining.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #3

Gorilla Glue is amazing IMHO
Camperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Don't glue it on to wall to securely. We had a ball trapped in ours that pushed a piece off the side. It was just a few dabs of glue and some finishing nails. It was very easy to put back on but it has never fallen off again. I would hate to have to replace that piece of fluted trim!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

Ball?

Norty1 - I am not sure I understand. How did you get a ball stuck between two pieces of wood?
Old 08-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #6

Which Gorilla

Thanks camperdude. I have both regular Gorilla an Gorilla wood glue. Do you like one over the other?
Old 08-25-2021, 06:08 PM   #7

I second Gorilla wood glue. It expands while setting up so don’t use too much and you have to clamp or throw some nails into it.
Mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #8

Same thing happened with me. I used mirror glue. It’s ver sticky, holds tight and can be pried apart in event you need to remove trim for other repairs.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 02:53 AM   #9

Any product advertised with an "elastic or flexible" adhesive will work. A non-rigid bond will hold up to road vibrations.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:10 AM   #10

Brad nail it with some adhesive. It's bradded from the factory. Treat it like a moulding in your home.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #11

Titebond is a great wood glue. I use it all of the time doing woodworking.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't glue it on to wall to securely. We had a ball trapped in ours that pushed a piece off the side. It was just a few dabs of glue and some finishing nails. It was very easy to put back on but it has never fallen off again. I would hate to have to replace that piece of fluted trim!
I had this happen too except it was caused by an entertainment center door that had opened due to rough roads. I agree with nort, don’t glue it too tight. I used liquid nails and some staples. With all the flexing our trailers experience things need to be able to move a bit IMHO.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #13

Thanks to all of you for you replies. As soon as it cools off a little, I will "Git Er Done"
Old 09-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #14

Since I already carry an air compressor to air up my tires, I also threw in a Brad nailer and some brads into my pneumatic tool bag! I’ve used it plenty of times. Especially in my large rear compartment. I have to take the panels off frequently to repair stuff! But you need to be careful where ya shoot!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #15

I have used small brass screws to replace trim that's come loose. Makes it removeable if needed and looks pretty good, kind of rustic maybe? : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #16

Had the same problem. Used construction glue and it came off again. My dealer used Brad nails which is holding.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsest View Post
Norty1 - I am not sure I understand. How did you get a ball stuck between two pieces of wood?
A dog toy---tennis ball got misplaced and rolled over between the trim and the wall as it was being moved in. It just popped the trim piece off on the far end of the slide.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #18

Many thanks for the ideas about the small screws and brad nails. As I mentioned, I also carry a small compressor with me. I have a larger compressor at home that came with a kit of three different size nail guns. I always associated that kit with working on larger wood projects like nailing into 2 x 4 studs. I never thought of taking the brad nail gun with me in the fifth wheel. Thanks
Old 09-01-2021, 03:47 PM   #19

Like Radar57 said, we woodworkers are pretty particular about our glues. Gorilla Glue, the classic stuff, is a urethane based glue. Read the instructions. Moisten. Go light - it foams and expands.

I don't use it on any of my woodworking stuff. I too stick with one of the three Titebonds, a PVA based glue.

Regardless, this is all probably overthinking. I have a pin nailer, so when my trim came off, I pinned it back on with 23g pins. I agree with the others that say "go light" on the glue. You'll have to figure out a way to hold it in place while the glue sets.

That could be blue tape, pin nails, Norm-Abrams-Approved Brad Nails, or a spare spouse willing to stand there for 30 minutes.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #20

Thanks pconroy - I have been struggling with how to clamp this without damaging it. This trim is about 8' long 5" tall with varying thicknesses. It was attached to what I believe to be a 1/4" or 3/8" by 4" tall piece of plywood the runs the entire length of the slide (about 20'), which is attached to the metal frame. The factory attached it with a few very small gauge staples to hold it in place while the inadequate amount of glue dried.

I do have a brad nail gun. I was thinking, in lieu of clamps, trying to find a place in the trim where I can use some 5/8" brads to hold it while the glue dries. That though bothers me a bit, as I was taught in woodworking class (a long time ago) that glue joints must be well clamped, and that if done right, will be stronger than the wood itself.