Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #1

GM accessory rear camera

Is anybody using the GM accessory rear camera? I installed one , hooked it up programed on the trailer app. It worked great. The second time I plugged it in, I keep getting a black screen and a no camera accessory is connected message. It works on the plug for an inside the camper camera but not when plugged to the right connection. Pulling with a 2021 GMC 2500. I'm on the road so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
Is anybody using the GM accessory rear camera? I installed one , hooked it up programed on the trailer app. It worked great. The second time I plugged it in, I keep getting a black screen and a no camera accessory is connected message. It works on the plug for an inside the camper camera but not when plugged to the right connection. Pulling with a 2021 GMC 2500. I'm on the road so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the GM camera, but the camera on my last 5'er got its power from the running lights. Were your lights on the first time that you tried it?
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:18 PM   #3

My camera is one the plugs directly into the camera plug on the truck. Entirely different than the one that you had.
Thanks
Old 09-17-2021, 04:57 AM   #4

GM Invisible trailer Cam

I have been thinking of installing one of the GM OEM "invisible trailer" cameras.
I am hesitant because my 5th wheel is 36' and IIRC, the GM cam has a 20 something foot max trailer length to function correctly. Also, drilling holes to mount the cam, it has to be in a certain position, and I'm not liking the idea of trying to run the wiring inside or having wires hanging down the rear of RV.
I would like to hear about your and other's install and how you like it.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 05:21 AM   #5

I've had the GM camera on my 5th wheel a few times. The first one was an early build and had lots of bugs to work out, the next came with my Sierra. The camera picture is crisp and sharp. However, I've ran the cables over the roof and down, along the side and down, and finally under the underbelly. Suffice it to say, I'd either give to too much slack at the end for turning, or not enough. With a 42' camper, it was a long run, too. Ultimately, a not so tight turn pulled the end off and I could never regain a consistent signal. I took it off and got a Furrion S wireless. Sure, it's another screen in the cab while towing, but it works well and does what I need. Some people have moved the camera ports into the bed, which would be ideal for 5th wheels, but I hadn't done that. Perhaps GM will put the connections in both places for future trucks.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:32 AM   #6

Quote>>>With a 42' camper, it was a long run, too.<<<<

How did the GM camera work with your 42' trailer, could you calibrate it to give a decent view?
TS3 Hitch
Old 09-17-2021, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Quote>>>With a 42' camper, it was a long run, too.<<<<

How did the GM camera work with your 42' trailer, could you calibrate it to give a decent view?
Plenty of cable length, so that's not an issue. You can't get a good invisible camera view due to size. However, you can get a 3-camera view of the rear and down each side. I normally just used the rear view to back, merge, etc.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:34 AM   #8

Thanks for reply. I like the idea of moving the connections to inside the bed and will be doing that with mine.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #9

My dealer confirmed that the camera needs to be connected when the truck is off and no power to the plug. Today I did that then connected the 7 way, started the truck and opened the trailer app, connected the 5th wheel in the app and the camera worked. He also told me to cycle the key off and on if I get the black screen. Seems ridiculous to have to go thru this routine every time I hook up. But, I like the camera options when it works. Wish I could calibrate the rear distance of the camera.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #10

So today I plugged it in when the truck was off after I got hitched. Camera came on and lasted for about 20 minutes before the screen went black. Turned the truck off /on , nothing. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer to see if it is the camera or truck plug.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:49 PM   #11

ARoamer- since the Jayco was prewired for the Furrion, I first ordered the Furrion 5inch monitor. Worked ok but I didn't like the small screen. So I returned it and got the 7 inch monitor. It worked good but the picture was dull. Then I traded for a 2021 GMC 2500 and It would not send power to the camera. So it needed to be wired direct to the camper battery to work. Sine I have the camera package on my new truck I got the GM accessory rv camera. I'm having issues with it. But, when it works , the screen is extremely clear and I like the different views and angles that are available. Hopefully, I'll get the bugs worked out because I like it better than the Furrion.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
ARoamer- since the Jayco was prewired for the Furrion, I first ordered the Furrion 5inch monitor. Worked ok but I didn't like the small screen. So I returned it and got the 7 inch monitor. It worked good but the picture was dull. Then I traded for a 2021 GMC 2500 and It would not send power to the camera. So it needed to be wired direct to the camper battery to work. Sine I have the camera package on my new truck I got the GM accessory rv camera. I'm having issues with it. But, when it works , the screen is extremely clear and I like the different views and angles that are available. Hopefully, I'll get the bugs worked out because I like it better than the Furrion.
Find a 12v line from the camper power, not the truck, to power the camera. I had to do the same with mine when I went to the GMC. What has happened, auto makers are only having the alternator and computers generate only as much power as needed and the pulses are a little different as well. Much has to do with the LED lighting, as well. It draws very little amperage.

I found a 12v from the trailer and mounted a switch inside where I can turn on and off as needed for my Furrion camera. It can also be used as a monitoring camera this way, if one so chooses. You are correct, the picture isn't as clear as the cable-fed GM camera, but it way more reliable and not near as worrisome.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #13

Welp, for what the oem gm cameras cost I would hope they at least work properly! I'm probably going to wait it out awhile and hopefully they will improve.
TS3 Hitch
Old 09-21-2021, 11:56 AM   #14

I order the camera for my 2020 Chev 2500 that works with the factory monitor. I ordered extension cables through Pasternack enterprises to move the camera plug from the rear bumper to the box. I ran my cable underneath the fifth wheel and up the back of the trailer and had to use another extension cable from pasternack. My camera works sometimes and sometimes not, or it will be working when I leave and not working when I get to the campground. I thought it was a loose connection, but now an starting to wonder.
McEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #15

My 2020 GMC Denali has that rear camera capability but who wants to run a rear cable? Purchased Furion with bluetooth camera instead. No cable and works flawless with 36 foot Pinnacle.
Edutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #16

Yep, besides I want to see traffic in that screen
2021 NorthPoint 382FLRB
2020 GMC 3500 Denali
Joel Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 02:25 PM   #17

Update!!
The GM plug on the camera cable appears to be some type of 2 piece plug. With the cable slack outside the bed, that connection twist and turns causing the camera feed to be intermittent . This last trip I reinforced the plug and cable about 1 foot . I then taped around the plug-in and secured it to the small handle on the camera cable. Drove 250 miles in 15-25 mph wind and heavy rain. No problem this trip. The camera stayed connected.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #18

I have had the camera for over a year mounted to my 31BHBS. I had to enter the max length accepted by the camera. I have no problem with the transparent feature working properly.

I also mounted mine to a 2x4 to avoid drilling into the camper wall. Have around 5,000 miles towing it and it is rock solid.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
50A6575B-8362-4D83-BCF7-456D60BF00AB.jpg  
teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #19

Installed on 5th wheel

Mine is installed on a 5th wheel so the invisible feature will not work. I like the HD clear picture and the different camera angles that it has. A lot better picture than the Furrion and I don't have to litter the windshield with another screen.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #20

We have a 2020 Chevrolet 2500 ltz with the option. I have the Chevrolet dealer install the camera on the 33 ft TT. I have found that the camera works fine if you are able to push the cable in past both blue o rings. It is a very very tight connection. I have sprayed silicone lube on the exterior of the cable plug being cautious to not spray on the connector. This allows the plug to push into the receptacle a little easier. I have no issues with the camera. I do have issues with the 7 pin plug making a poor connection and resulting in a message on the radio display indicating no trailer connection. The speedometer display indicated brakes connected and lights works. Issues is with the Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring is not functional. Dealer says must plug 7 pin connector in with truck off. I have found that it doesn't matter. I spray the connector with electrical connection cleaner, pray and then plug it in. It will work most of the time. Dealer has replaced the ECM and the 7 pin receptacle as I have 3 trailers with TPMS and have same issue with all 3. The special features of new technology.
baehrelw is offline   Reply With Quote