Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2020, 04:40 PM   #21

Regarding the batteries from Sam's Club.

The only true deep cycle listed is the 6 volt. It's rated at the 20 amp/hr rate. That's the clue. All the other batteries, including any Marine or RV battery will NOT be a true deep cycle. They are all multipurpose types. Yes they have a slight thicker plate than a car battery. But are not designed to be discharged below 50%. A true deep cycle can go below 50% with no or minimal damage to cells. That's why they are used in golf carts! If you notice in the description Sams gives the 6 volt, the true amperage available drops as the rated current draw drops. That's a good indication that the battery will handle any current draw you can throw at it up to 230 amps. That's a good buy as far as I'm concerned!

The only downside to running 2 6 volt batts is if 1 dies, you are dead in water. Not likely to happen when you buy both batteries at same time.

The only thing better would be a Battleborn 100 amp lithium. They are designed to charge on most standard chargers, they can be run down to 5% without issues and 2 of them still weigh less than 1 lead acid. But you pay big bux for all those bennies.

You need to add up your rigs current draw on all devices. Add up how you use the rig and those same devices. Then decide how much battery you need. Remember, most batteries are not rated at the 20 amp/hr discharge rate and all 12 volt batts that are not true deep cycle will only give you 50% if discharge without damage.
There's a lot to learn on the internet. And a lot of mis-information as well.
Good luck....
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #22

Thanks for your reply...guessing I got screwed then. Did a lot of research but apparently not enough. I settled on, purchased and installed two of these batteries. Even called and talked to their tech folks and asked straight out, “are these true deep cycle batteries?” Their answer was a resounding yes! Well hopefully these will do the job.
https://www.vmaxtanks.com/MR127-100-...tery_p_24.html
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #23

I wouldn't worry about it..... The batteries will work just fine. You just need to recognize the limitations. Don't go below 50% charge and use power sparingly. I lived on 1 group 27 for a year. Changing the 16 interior lights over to led bulbs was the biggest lifesaver. Most rvs live just fine on 2 12 volt batts!
Suggest you think about a small inverter generator. The Easy Start for the AC unit so you can run on the small generator. And a solar suitcase with 100 watts of power. That will give you about 6amps in good sun... Each hour all day long. Those 3 things will keep you comfortable and keep those 2 batts happy.

RE. The Vmax batteries. Those look interesting for sure. 100 amps at the 20hr rate. That gives you 200amps total....100 amps down to 50%. If they really are deep cycle, then you have aton of reserve battery.

Very respectable. The only question is whether your rv charging system puts out that higher voltage needed to charge these properly. Not the charge warning at bottom in small print.

Some of the newer WFCO charges in trailers can switch to higher charge voltages. If yours doesn't (mine won't),
Then you can replace the charge board in your converter to an aftermarket brand like Progressive that can charge these Batts.

Seriously.... You're fine.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #24

Thanks again...yes I do have a renogy suitcase 200 w solar unit and a Champion 3100 inverter generator. I have a 2018 Eagle HT RLDS trailer so I assumed the built in inverter could handle it. At least I hope so
Old 10-09-2020, 12:24 AM   #25

I have been studying batteries due to a change in travel trailers. You identified one of the best, if boondocking is required.
DocTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:27 AM   #26

I clicked to early. My Jayco requires a 25Amp reserve. Check your owners manual. This battery is only a 20 amp out put. You may have to step up to an Optima.
DocTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
How does everyone feel about this battery? There will be two of them going in a 26 ft 5th wheel. Two is all I can get in there along with this size only. About 25% boondocking, maybe a week at a time, with the rest in RV parks with full hookups.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/marine-27...=plp_product_3
Same problem here(2019 377RLBH). I put an additional battery cut off switch near the batteries to kill everything. Problem with the cut off switch jayco installs is that it turns off most everything. The c02 and gas detector are wired direct and from a jayco wiring diagram I had from a similar model...the powered antenna is on that circuit too!
Not much need for either when parked on a storage lot.
To top it off..I removed the batteries and had them load tested..both batteries failed within a year. When I discussed the matter with my interstate battery dealer he said that these bottom of the line group 24 batteries installed by the dealer (Trailside RV-KC)were of the wrong type. Short story longer, my battery dealer got me credit for the old batteries an I upgraded to Group 31 batteries( I had room for the extra 1" in height. In addition, I installed battery trays with hold downs. The straps jayco installs do not keep the batteries from moving around. I'm sure they were bouncing around which is not good. I now have plenty of amperage and power to turn on the refrigerator 1-1/2 days before departing and operate the slide outside. Hope this helps.
escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #28

Here is a bit of info you guys might be interested in, regarding current draw after the battery cutoff switch is thrown. The same day I installed my new batteries, I also installed a new Victron BMV 712 Smart battery monitor. With my trailer not currently being used, AC power disconnected and battery switch thrown to cut off battery power to the trailer, this monitor is showing “zero” current draw from any devices in the trailer. When I throw the switch again to connect the trailer, the monitor does pick up the current draw from each device being used.
Needless to say, I am extremely happy with this ability to monitor my battery’s condition. FYI, I am in no way connected to, or representative of Victron.
Anyway, hope this helps