Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #1

Good Battery?

How does everyone feel about this battery? There will be two of them going in a 26 ft 5th wheel. Two is all I can get in there along with this size only. About 25% boondocking, maybe a week at a time, with the rest in RV parks with full hookups.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/marine-27...=plp_product_3
Whammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Site Team

I can't say if that battery is good or not for your usage, but make sure the charger in the converter in your 5th wheel is compatible with an AGM battery. They have a different charging spec than an acid flooded battery. A non-compatible charger will overheat an AGM, and cause the case to swell.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 AM   #3

I've got that same battery in a group size 31 and it was in our previous trailer for almost 2 seasons and I swapped it over to our current Northpoint when we bought it in 8/16. Its completing its 6th season and still going strong.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #4

Thanks..guess I have to ask. Will the charger that’s built into my 2018 Jayco HT RLDS charge these AGM’s properly or is there a switch in the unit that I would have to throw to accommodate them? If nobody knows, how can I find out?
Old 09-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #5

If you boondock 25% of the time you probably want a true deep cycle battery verses a multi use marine battery.

I see three good options using batteries from Sam's Club. Alot depends on your available space. I am looking at the Duracell Group 31, due to tongue weight concerns, the group 27 is fine, and dual 6 volt golf cart batteries, have the best amp hours. AGM is nice so you do not have to deal with maintenance, but there is a greater initial cost. The battery you linked to is not a true deep cycle battery.

Group 27 true deep cycle battery
Group 31 true deep cycle battery
* Dual 6 volt Golf Cart batteries

Group 27 battery you listed - multi purpose battery
If your looking at dual batteries, the 6 volt golf cart batteries will give you the best power capacity. Otherwise I would try to stick with a true deep cycle battery.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Thanks for your reply...here’s my thinking. I agree they are not true deep cycle, but I’m really hung up on getting AGM’s. Absolutely don’t want the maintenance. Don’t have room to check water levels. Also no room for gp31’s even though they were my first choice.
Liked going with 2 6v also but was informed that if I was out boondocking somewhere and lost power in just one of them, I would be totally out of luck for obvious reasons.
So...didn’t see a lot of choice but to settle on these...kind of in a Catch 22....
Old 09-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
Thanks for your reply...here’s my thinking. I agree they are not true deep cycle, but I’m really hung up on getting AGM’s. Absolutely don’t want the maintenance. Don’t have room to check water levels. Also no room for gp31’s even though they were my first choice.
Liked going with 2 6v also but was informed that if I was out boondocking somewhere and lost power in just one of them, I would be totally out of luck for obvious reasons.
So...didn’t see a lot of choice but to settle on these...kind of in a Catch 22....
If you have the money go with Lithium's, with AGM's you can only discharge them half way without degrading them, the lithium's can go down almost to zero plus weigh less and charge faster. You would need to swap out the converter in your power panel for a lithium one but it is an easy swap.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #8

The old catch 22. I understand the lack of space and not wanting the maintenance. Incase you are not aware you can buy a battery watering system. Basically it replaces the caps. The caps are connected to a hose and reservoir. It keeps the batteries at the perfect level.

I just do not like the price of the AGM batteries. I tend to check the fluid once a year, when I pull the batteries for winter storage.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Ha...that’s funny! Ya have a set of those and still lost my cheap batteries. I pulled them out this morning a still no water. I’m pretty bad at maintenance especially since I live in Phoenix and just experienced our longest-hottest summer ever! Was pretty tough to gauge how much water was needed and going in.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammon View Post
How does everyone feel about this battery? There will be two of them going in a 26 ft 5th wheel. Two is all I can get in there along with this size only. About 25% boondocking, maybe a week at a time, with the rest in RV parks with full hookups.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/marine-27...=plp_product_3
Well I just bought a pair of those AMG batteries this week. One for the TT, and one for the kid's Portabot trolling motor. Heavy beasts. Was going to go with the normal wet cells, but there were very few good reviews on them, so I went with the AMGs.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I can't say if that battery is good or not for your usage, but make sure the charger in the converter in your 5th wheel is compatible with an AGM battery. They have a different charging spec than an acid flooded battery. A non-compatible charger will overheat an AGM, and cause the case to swell.

I have those Duracell AGM's in our rig. Open your fuse panel at your power center and take a photo of the placard. Or check your build sheet if you have it. If you don't have the manual in your file, go on line. I checked with Progressive Dyanamics for my model 4950 and their multi stage "Charge Wizard" charging profile is suitable for AGM's as well as flooded cell.
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:10 PM   #12

I contacted the manufacturer of Duracell batteries for Sam’s club. All of their AGM batteries have the same internal plate construction regardless of whether they are starting,marine, or deep cycle. Their flooded lead acid batteries DO have different plate construction for deep cycle and starting batteries. My next move is going to be to AGM batteries. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
Site Team

We have a Progressive Dynamics 4500 series, and it has the charge wizard also. Good to know if I find a deal on an AGM. Our 8 year old Interstate should be at or past its time. Next spring will tell if it goes another season. So far its been just like that pink bunny!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #14

I’ve got the 24m Duracell AGM in my ‘06 Jayflight. Would have gone larger if I had a bigger tray. It’s been flawless. I do put it on a Minn Kota precision charger (my boating roots) for the winter. Great batteries.

2015 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PS
2018 Cougar 344MKS
2006 Jayflight 30.5 RLS (sold)
2018 Ram 1500 CCSB 5.7, 3.92 rear (lease up)
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If you boondock 25% of the time you probably want a true deep cycle battery verses a multi use marine battery.

I see three good options using batteries from Sam's Club. Alot depends on your available space. I am looking at the Duracell Group 31, due to tongue weight concerns, the group 27 is fine, and dual 6 volt golf cart batteries, have the best amp hours. AGM is nice so you do not have to deal with maintenance, but there is a greater initial cost. The battery you linked to is not a true deep cycle battery.

Group 27 true deep cycle battery
Group 31 true deep cycle battery
* Dual 6 volt Golf Cart batteries

Group 27 battery you listed - multi purpose battery
If your looking at dual batteries, the 6 volt golf cart batteries will give you the best power capacity. Otherwise I would try to stick with a true deep cycle battery.
Two questions: How do you know the difference between the true deep cycle and multi purpose? The descriptions look the same.
When converting to two 6 volt are you still dealing with group size? If so, how do you convert to what you should have?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTravels View Post
Two questions: How do you know the difference between the true deep cycle and multi purpose? The descriptions look the same.
When converting to two 6 volt are you still dealing with group size? If so, how do you convert to what you should have?
You have to read the battery specifications;

For example on the Sam's Club AGM Group27M battery https://www.samsclub.com/p/marine-27...=plp_product_3 The 3rd row in the specifications section, states "battery purpose: starting/deep cycle". Because it is listing both starting and deep cycle it is a dual purpose battery. The plate design needs to be thinner, to allow for the high capacity discharge required for engine starting.

For the sam's club wet cell group 31 battery https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-...=plp_product_1 The 4th line in the specifications states : Battery Purpose: Deep Cycle"

I am not an expert in Golf Cart Batteries, But they do come in different sizes, they use the codes GC2, GC8 and EGC2, not sure how many different codes there are for GC batteries line up, and how they rank in capacity.

For GC batteries you do have to wire them in series as the voltages add up, but the amp hours stay the same. Wired in series Voltage; 6V+6V=12V; Amps side can be confusing, and I have heard it quoted wrong many times. The amp capacity is whatever is listed on the battery when wired in series so; 230 amps + 230amp is still 230 amps, NOT 460 amps.

How to convert what you have to dual 6 volt batteries; see the image;

Click image for larger version

Name:	batteries-series-vs-parallel.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	64155

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #17

Looking to replace our battery so am following this thread
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #18

My opinion is, since you only boondock 25 percent of the time I would get aa nice quite 2000 watt generator so what ever batteries you go with can be charged anytime and you will always have back up power.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #19

Good house battery

I have been using Optima AGM Blue Top deep cycle for 6 years in the RV and Red Top in a car for 10 years. Another Red Top in the truck for 4 years.
They are expensive, but in my limited experience, they are quite forgiving of over discharging and have outlasted other batteries by at least two times.
Snapchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #20

Have you calculated how many Ah you use per day and night when boondocking? And, how do you recharge your batteries now when boondocking? How many days at a time do you want to boondock, on average?
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote