Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Smile Goodbye Jayco

Well the love we had for our Jayco and it and the Jayco are gone. We loved our Jayco, really did. And it was a great unit in so many ways, but like MOST units by any mfg it has some issues, some big, some small.

But when I called all I ever got was: "go see your dealer" nothing else. I will say our dealer stepped up to the plate more out of embarrassment for Jayco than anything else. So YOU Jayco you were never of any help, in fact your denied claims with the smarmy reply of: "we reserve the right to make in year changes". I'll buy that except it was not a in year change, you just forgot to install it, like you did so many other items that were listed on the Options sheet. Then a drop off at Crestview RV (your largest Jayco dealer) and an inspection tour showed that there was not midyear change. Then you even denied Crestview a warranty fix, even they were amazed. 2 dealers and even they don't think highly of you.

OK fine I'll eat the $180 (and did) to install what your customer service LIED to me about.

Then the leak as I lay there in bed and watch rain water almost spray out of the electrical outlet. Need to replace the Dicor on a unit I bought new last April...your kidding RIGHT? Ok, no your not. So I paid to get that fixed.

Yep your 2 year warranty, a KEY reason why I bought it and the wife loved it. Well you won, I won't call you anymore.

I never called or asked the dealer to do anything other than fix some real issues, I am not afraid to pickup a screw driver and repair it myself, in fact most of the items I just fixed on my own, easier than leaving it for a month for 30 min of work...

Now that I got it fixed and I paid for it its good to go and gone it is. Traded in on a Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback today.
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Good luck with the new trailer. The choices now seem to be Thor or Forest River. I have said this before, lack of competition cannot be good for us the RV buyers.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

I don't think one company is better than the others in the RV industry. They are all pushed down the line and out the door as fast as possible to keep profits up, reminds me of the 70s in the auto industry when nobody cared about quality. If you read the Forest River forums its the same problems over there but you only get one year to get repairs done.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Good luck with the new trailer.
x2

We have owned other brands and they ALL have their pluses and minuses.

*Disclaimer--we don't buy new or rely on any warranties for repairs.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I don't think one company is better than the others in the RV industry. They are all pushed down the line and out the door as fast as possible to keep profits up, reminds me of the 70s in the auto industry when nobody cared about quality. If you read the Forest River forums its the same problems over there but you only get one year to get repairs done.
Its not the issues with the rig that made us turn from it but is was the failure of Jayco as a business.

I have started and owned several companies in life, I own one now. I am not a big wheel, mult $$$$$ or anything else, just a hard working American. That said I have had successful companies and I base that on the 3 principles that I live byL

1) Customer Service

2) Customer Service

4) Anyone care to guess the 3rd

Its not your boss or the CEO or the CFO that signs your paycheck, sure it may have the signature on it, but the guy who signs your chick is the guy or gal that bought your product, without them NO ONE gets a paycheck.

Jayco the company let me down, not Jayco the Eagle HT. Jayco touts a 2 yr warranty...only good if the company stands behind it. As I said the ONLY words to come out of the mouth of the Cust Svc rep was "go see your dealer", nothing else. Then the BS of well you have to get on the roof and inspect every 6 months...really, how may folks you have out there in your rigs that are disabled or lack the ability to climb atop the rig...Jayco blames them!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
.only good if the company stands behind it. As I said the ONLY words to come out of the mouth of the Cust Svc rep was "go see your dealer", nothing else. Then the BS of well you have to get on the roof and inspect every 6 months...really, how may folks you have out there in your rigs that are disabled or lack the ability to climb atop the rig...Jayco blames them!
I've said this before, JAYCO has never let me down, either when the dealer submitted a claim or when I've had to call an independent mobile service company. They have always covered the cost. My dealer even did a free roof inspection during the warranty period if needed. I didn't, since I put ETERNABOND over all the dicor a couple months after I took delivery.

As to your new rig, I'll bet the warranty says exactly the same thing regarding the roof caulking and getting it inspected.

Try to get GM, FORD or CHRYSLER to cover something when you don't follow their service schedule requirements.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #7

That's a shame. Customer service is the key to any business unless you can make a product that never breaks. So far my experience has been very positive (which I will be reporting on shortly after Christmas). I'm not trying to be snarky, does any rv mfg deal directly with the public?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I've said this before, JAYCO has never let me down, either when the dealer submitted a claim or when I've had to call an independent mobile service company. They have always covered the cost. My dealer even did a free roof inspection during the warranty period if needed. I didn't, since I put ETERNABOND over all the dicor a couple months after I took delivery.

As to your new rig, I'll bet the warranty says exactly the same thing regarding the roof caulking and getting it inspected.

Try to get GM, FORD or CHRYSLER to cover something when you don't follow their service schedule requirements.
I am glad for you.

Ok I missed the 6 month inspect by less than a month...guess you are right, Dicor only last 6 months and then it completely designates. Even my dealer was SHOCKED, he also noted that the Dicor was not applied to a thickness that would do anything else but crack...I looked at up there with him and said I use more toothpaste than that, some of it was spread so thin it did not even cover all the way around...

If its required to replace Dicor every 6 months, then I don't want it, its about a $1000 grand to do the whole roof x 2 per year x 5 years of ownership = $10,000 for Dicor...
Old 12-23-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Dicor only last 6 months and then it completely designates. Even my dealer was SHOCKED, he also noted that the Dicor was not applied to a thickness that would do anything else but crack...I looked at up there with him and said I use more toothpaste than that, some of it was spread so thin it did not even cover all the way around...

If its required to replace Dicor every 6 months, then I don't want it
So the dealer didn't do a complete PDI before he sold you the unit. Checking the roof is on the list last time I saw the form.

Nobody said "replace" the DICOR. You inspect and touch up if needed. Usually one tube max.. $8.00 tops.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #10

I don't understand why you blame Jayco. To me it sounds more like your dealer dropped the ball and didn't take care of repairs under warranty. If I have a problem with my truck I don't call Ford and tell them I have problems, I take it to a dealer and they get approval from Ford to do the repairs. This is just the way big business works, they all have a process that needs to be followed. By calling Jayco to complain and they tell you to contact the dealer to start the process is normal, it doesn't mean they don't care its just that they need the dealer to put eyes on it. My dealer is 140 miles away I have had three warranty claims in the past year, all I did was take pictures and send them to my salesman. First they shipped me a new mattress, then the HWT exterior cover fell off and they shipped me a new one, then the entry door paint was chipping on the exterior, Jayco not only shipped me a new door and the door jamb in case it was needed. I have not stepped foot in my dealer since the day of purchase, they have been quick to submit all warranty claims and have gone way above and beyond what I ever expected in this industry. I feel if you have a great dealer than any and all warranty problems will be taken care of. As others have said you will have the same responsibilities with your Forest River product, you will have to check the roof caulking or pay the dealer because when it leaks not if you will not be covered under any warranty.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Not true as FR does offer an optional 2nd year warranty on new units. I believe the cost is like $99 bucks.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
I don't understand why you blame Jayco. To me it sounds more like your dealer dropped the ball and didn't take care of repairs under warranty. If I have a problem with my truck I don't call Ford and tell them I have problems, I take it to a dealer and they get approval from Ford to do the repairs. This is just the way big business works, they all have a process that needs to be followed. By calling Jayco to complain and they tell you to contact the dealer to start the process is normal, it doesn't mean they don't care its just that they need the dealer to put eyes on it. My dealer is 140 miles away I have had three warranty claims in the past year, all I did was take pictures and send them to my salesman. First they shipped me a new mattress, then the HWT exterior cover fell off and they shipped me a new one, then the entry door paint was chipping on the exterior, Jayco not only shipped me a new door and the door jamb in case it was needed. I have not stepped foot in my dealer since the day of purchase, they have been quick to submit all warranty claims and have gone way above and beyond what I ever expected in this industry. I feel if you have a great dealer than any and all warranty problems will be taken care of. As others have said you will have the same responsibilities with your Forest River product, you will have to check the roof caulking or pay the dealer because when it leaks not if you will not be covered under any warranty.
My understanding from the OP was that the trailer started leaking in less than a year. On inspection it appears that Jayco did an inadequate job of applying the Dicor at the factory. Jayco then refused to cover the damage claiming that the owner did not have it inspected properly. I also assume Jayco has contractual agreements with their dealers to inspect the trailers before they go to a customer. Apparently, the ball was dropped there too.
I fully understand the OP anger about this situation. IMO the OP is way to easy on the dealer, they really dropped the ball by not inspecting the trailer.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #13
Site Team

I sure am sorry to hear that your experience turned out way less than expected. I sure hope you get a good one this time and the poor guy that buys your trade in is savvy on what to look for in a used unit.

Hopefully you will have a good reception over at FR forum but let us know how it goes! I looked at the comparison and that new rig is nice and longer.

From all I see and hear, Jayco is not failing as a business, in fact they are thriving.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

Good Bye Indifferent Customer Service

My limited experience with Jayco customer service (oxymoron) has also left me with a bad taste in my mouth. No answer or slow answer or incomplete response makes me rethink any future purchase of Jayco products.
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #15

2 thousand a year to check and reseal the roof where needed every year?

More like 30 dollars in my experience.

Anyway, sorry you had a bad time of it. It happens.

I'll never buy another Chrysler product in the rest of my life, nor allow anyone in my family to do so... I have friends that swear by their Chryslers. To each his own. It only takes 1 lemon to spoil someone on a brand permanently.

Good luck with your new camper. You'll undoubtedly find some things they do better, and some they do worse.

I'm still happy with mine, but if I have the money, I'll have a custom builder make my next one. The lack of competition + record breaking sales has opened the door wide open for new competition - If a person can afford it, definitely worth a look.

Lance and Winnebago might be (depending on who you ask) 1 notch higher in quality in some areas than the typical 'Thor' product, they have their lemons as well. Forest River has just as many 'problem' units as Jayco, again I hope you ended up with a good one. Time will tell.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:16 PM   #16

Quote:
So the dealer didn't do a complete PDI before he sold you the unit. Checking the roof is on the list last time I saw the form.

Nobody said "replace" the DICOR. You inspect and touch up if needed. Usually one tube max.. $8.00 tops.
Grump, straight up there was not enough Dicor to seal anything, I agreed with the dealer when I saw it. On my Arctic Fox I was amazed at how thick the Dicor was applied at least a ½ in - ¾ in, maybe that way after 8 years it was still in great shape and never did need a touch up. My Jayco did not need a touch up, it needed a full restoration. My guess, when it was done the guy who did it just did not want to go down and get a fresh tube or 2 so he gave it as thing a coating as he could...just my guess, nothing more. As for the cracks, it was cracked down to the roof. It was like it had sat in the AZ sun for a very long time. I bought it NEW in Ok City.

Quote:
So glad you have a great dealer. My dealer was just over 500 mi one way. I called Jayco because they are the parent company My hopes were they could help me find a dealer that could take care of the work in a timely fashion. The next closest dealer was about a 2 hr drive away and when I called them (FIRST) in April when I bought it, they said they could not even work me in till Aug or Sept.

I was looking for help from Jayco, I did not get it and the attitude was clearly 'got a problem, thats your problem'.

By the way, I just got it out of the shop about a month ago and I paid for what should have been warranty work. I did not complain to the dealer or Jayco. Talked to the dealer today and I agreed to pay for it, they calked it on the front seam and touched up a few of the others they thought were either leaking or will leak soon.

Here is how the system works according to Crestview the largest Jayco dealer in the US: You bring in they asses, IF they believe it is a warranty issue then they take pics and do a write up and send to Jayco who either says yay or nay, then they contact the customer and gives them the info and decides if its worth the money or not.

Its not like I am in year 2, month 12 trying to beat the clock, no this is at the level of beginning ownership. If Jayco is saying no now, I can only imagine what occurs in year 2.

We love our unit its been a hard decision to go to another unit.

Since 1995 I have built 3 successful companies and sold 2 of them. Computer services company in a major US city, had 457 clients business and retail, 100% of our service calls were followed by a independent company that assessed client satisfaction...99.7% client satisfaction rated excellent. My other company was a welding and metal fabrication shop focusing on building heavy duty components fro extreme use. 100% client satisfaction. My current company light mfg selling products on line and retail across the US for just over 5 years, 100% satisfaction.

My 5th wheel is not toy, my company owns it and I use it to travel in rarely for pleasure, but for business. I fully understand customer satisfaction and I did NOT start out calling Jayco, I started at the dealer level, then and only then did I call for assistance.

Will Forrest River be any different, I doubt it, but as a general rule I give little creds to warranties on anything and more often than not I fix or repair myself or just pay to have it done. I have owned this unit barely 8 mo's, I think I should be treated better, simple as that. I think Jayco makes a good product, this is NOT my first RV by a long shot. I like their features and architecture, I would not hesitate to recommend them withe the caveat that customer service is not their strong suit. I would say that overall my unit has had few issues at all, they are a good unit.

I hope someone at Jayco reads this thread and it motivates them to take a hard look at their customer service dept.

Speaking of FORD...I drive Ford trucks, on my 4th F 350 and Ford actually has paid customer svc reps on the big Ford forums. By the time this thread got this long, Ford Cus Sv would have come on line and asked me to send them my VIN and the dealer I am or want to deal with. With in about 24 hrs I will get a call from the dealer telling me to bring it in and they will take care of it.

Later the dealer and Ford contacted me to be sure I was a happy customer...and that is how big business works!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:10 AM   #17

Quote:
...snip...
Speaking of FORD...I drive Ford trucks, on my 4th F 350 and Ford actually has paid customer svc reps on the big Ford forums. By the time this thread got this long, Ford Cus Sv would have come on line and asked me to send them my VIN and the dealer I am or want to deal with. With in about 24 hrs I will get a call from the dealer telling me to bring it in and they will take care of it.

Later the dealer and Ford contacted me to be sure I was a happy customer...and that is how big business works!
You have my condolences regarding your trailer, IMO your dealer was a major contributor to this issue. They obviously never bothered to get up and look at the roof sealing before handing over the trailer to you. I hope you went to another dealer to get your new trailer.

Regarding Ford, there are many buyers of the 6.0 PSD who feel that Ford put out a defective engine, then sandbagged, and left them stuck paying thousands to bring the engine up to the level it should have been designed too in the first place. In fact, the reputation of this engine got so bad that often the owners had no choice but to bullet-proof them, since they could never sell them for what was owed on them.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:49 AM   #18

Just pick up a New 2015 Eagle and now wondering if buying this TT was a was a mistake. Had a KZ and no problems
cruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:41 AM   #19

Quote:

I'm sure my old posts about my rubber roof experience are still on this forum if anyone wants to search. I consider a rubber roof regardless of the manufacturer of the roof material or the RV manufacturer that uses it COMPLETE JUNK! My rubber roof membrane, not caulked joints which is another issue, failed after 5 years service. Moisture was leaking through the membrane. Don't believe the 12 year roof warranty will help you either. I was offered $225 as total compensation for the new roof I needed.

I have said this before and I stick by it. If I was going to buy another RV today, new or used, I would go straight to the nearest RV Flex Armor facility and have the roof sprayed before I ever moved in or used it. Eternabond on all of the caulking would be a minimum, but well worth the time and $$.

Off of soap box, but safe and dry under my RV Flex Armor roof.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
You have my condolences regarding your trailer, IMO your dealer was a major contributor to this issue. They obviously never bothered to get up and look at the roof sealing before handing over the trailer to you. I hope you went to another dealer to get your new trailer.

Regarding Ford, there are many buyers of the 6.0 PSD who feel that Ford put out a defective engine, then sandbagged, and left them stuck paying thousands to bring the engine up to the level it should have been designed too in the first place. In fact, the reputation of this engine got so bad that often the owners had no choice but to bullet-proof them, since they could never sell them for what was owed on them.
That was the Navistar engine in Ford superdutys '03-07, I never owned one, but in talking to those that have it seems to a haunted engine as it was full of problems. My guess is that it was the reason why Ford decided to build there own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisers View Post
Just pick up a New 2015 Eagle and now wondering if buying this TT was a was a mistake. Had a KZ and no problems
I would not hesitate to buy another jayco, but I think I would lean towards a new model used one. Anything that rolls on wheels has issues, don't care who makes it. Rolls, Bentley have service depts just like Ford and Chevy...My motor coach spent on average a week a month in the shop for a year. I am sure the folks that bought my motor coach are on some forum bragging about their trouble fee rig. I am sure they are right as it was a living nightmare for me, but by the time I sold it it was fixed.

I think you will do well with it, I believe they make a good product or as good as any out there.

My recommendation is to get real cozy with your dealer and hopefully they are close to where you live. Get to know the svc writers, the parts folks, thank them profusely. Had I not done that my guess is it would still be out in the barn with its issues. And finally for low dollar issues be prepared to just pay for it yourself. I did that and my dealer appreciated it, gave me a break on costs and parts and gave us a good rep with them. But I drew the line at paying to have the roof completely calked out of my pocket for a unit I had only owned 8 months...