Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #1

Goodyear Endurance tires

Put a screw dead in the middle of my tread, not anywhere near the sidewall. Went to 3 tire stores in Florida and they will not patch a trailer tire. I even went to the Goodyear tire store and they also stated they no longer will repair any trailer tires. Never heard of this before. Only option now is replace the tire.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 06:48 PM   #2

Interply shear of trailer and fifth wheel tires. Tires really get pushed around sideways under backing conditions, so a patch won't flex like the tread.
https://youtu.be/qIFdltJRqoQ
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:59 PM   #3

I don't see why the tire couldn't be patched, and then have a tube placed inside the tire.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:24 PM   #4

You a Sam's club member? They will patch plug it for free. If not try some mom and pop places.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:30 PM   #5

its called a liability issue. sux
Ethansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethansdad View Post
its called a liability issue. sux
That is what each tire shop told me. I planned to replace the tires next year so I will only need 3 new ones next year.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:18 AM   #7

Disclaimer- My thoughts and experiences follow which may or may not be suitable for anyone else, and if done, do so at your own risk!

Get a good quality plug kit and DIY. I always carry one in my toolbox.
I have never had one that was properly plugged fall out or start leaking again, but I have never plugged a trailer tire.
Even though I have never had a plug fail, I don't feel as safe plugging as a proper tire dismount and patch, more so when on a tow vehicle or trailer.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Disclaimer- My thoughts and experiences follow which may or may not be suitable for anyone else, and if done, do so at your own risk!

Get a good quality plug kit and DIY. I always carry one in my toolbox.
I have never had one that was properly plugged fall out or start leaking again, but I have never plugged a trailer tire.
Even though I have never had a plug fail, I don't feel as safe plugging as a proper tire dismount and patch, more so when on a tow vehicle or trailer.
Ditto here

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:50 AM   #9

I've plugged my own trailer tires multiple times over the decades I've been RVing, including some dual axel boat trailer tires and RVs. I've never had a problem.
But here's the deal - if you do have a problem it's likely to be a fairly slow leak. Even if the plug is pushed out (which given today's glue is unlikely) it's not going to be a blowout AS LONG AS you have a Tire Pressure Monitoring system and realize that tire is going down BEFORE it gets low enough to blow.
Even if the patch lets air bleed into the area between the cords, a very very low probability, it's going to be a slow fault and you should notice a blister on the tire long before it blows.
As others have said, plugging your own tire with kits you can get at Walmart or any auto supply store, is really easy, just follow the directions or watch some YouTube videos.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #10

So buying a tire warranty at Discount/America's Tire is a waste of money?
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
So buying a tire warranty at Discount/America's Tire is a waste of money?
Under a purchased tire warranty I believe it would be replaced. If it can't be repaired, it's replaced.

How Does the Certificate Work?

Quote:
If a tire covered by the Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement fails due to a non repairable road hazard or manufacturer defect, has 3/32" and above of tread depth remaining across the tire, and it has been less than 3 years from date of purchase, Discount Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase a replacement tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of.
Old 11-22-2022, 07:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
Under a purchased tire warranty I believe it would be replaced. If it can't be repaired, it's replaced.

How Does the Certificate Work?

I also read the warranty, but warranties can be a bit vague. When I did a search I tried to filter for "Trailer" but saw no mention of trailer.
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
I also read the warranty, but warranties can be a bit vague. When I did a search I tried to filter for "Trailer" but saw no mention of trailer.
Guess you'd have to ask them if they sell the road hazard warranty for trailer tires. I bet they do, but I could easily be wrong. LOL They'd probably come out ahead, even with trailer tires, as long as they weren't Goodyear Marathons!
Old 11-22-2022, 11:37 PM   #14

Don't you have a spare tire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I don't see why the tire couldn't be patched, and then have a tube placed inside the tire.

The concern is how the steel "belts" are cut from the puncture. A patch will hold air. But the tire will structurally fail in time. Thankfully Jayco runs all sorts of wiring over the wheel wells that gets destroyed when a tire blows out.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Put a screw dead in the middle of my tread, not anywhere near the sidewall. Went to 3 tire stores in Florida and they will not patch a trailer tire. I even went to the Goodyear tire store and they also stated they no longer will repair any trailer tires. Never heard of this before. Only option now is replace the tire.
I carry a plug kit in my rv. Just do it yourself. Plugs have been used forever fixing tires and I've never had on leak
Old 11-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #16

Plugs are good for a street tire 32-44 psi but not a 80psi tire. It will just blow it out.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #17

It's been a few years now, but a larger tire/repair dealer in my area (35 shops), has continuously used what are called mushroom patches while everyone else has pulled chord patches. The wheel has to be removed, the tire bead released and the patch is inserted into a dressed hole from inside the tire and pulled until all patch surfaces are in contact. The seal is instant. The 'mushroom' is on the inside and about 1 1/4 inches in dia. and there's a wire in the stem portion that get's pulled from the tread side. They won't blow out. They patched everything with those and I know for a fact they had lawyers involved in just about every business decision they made. It's still the only place local that I will allow to repair mine.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:43 PM   #18

The reference was to the comment of carrying a plug kit in your car and doing it yourself.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
Plugs are good for a street tire 32-44 psi but not a 80psi tire. It will just blow it out.
Plugs should always be avoided unless an emergency. A patch plug is the proper way. I seen basic plugs leak and even come out.

I never had anyone ever refuse to patch plug an ST tire. Had several of them done at mom and pop as well as Sam's club. One Sam's club was iffy on getting them to inflate to 80 psi. I had to be stern. I had no way to air the tire up the rest of the way. Said it was company policy. They even had it in a cage like a high pressure semi tire or split rim. Lol but I refused to leave until they aired it 80 psi.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Plugs should always be avoided unless an emergency. A patch plug is the proper way. I seen basic plugs leak and even come out.

I never had anyone ever refuse to patch plug an ST tire. Had several of them done at mom and pop as well as Sam's club. One Sam's club was iffy on getting them to inflate to 80 psi. I had to be stern. I had no way to air the tire up the rest of the way. Said it was company policy. They even had it in a cage like a high pressure semi tire or split rim. Lol but I refused to leave until they aired it 80 psi.

Earl
I had one tire patched 3 years ago at the Goodyear tire store in Fl. and it held up just fine. This year no one will patch them due to liability issues. We are in south west Fl and I called 5 tire shops and nobody will patch them. Just a heads up for everyone. If I was home I have a shop that would probably patch it but that is 800 miles away. Don’t want to drive back without a spare tire. If everyone is refusing to patch them that tells you they have had failures. I did some research on the web and and due to the side wall flexing when turning, patches will not always stay bonded.