Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-28-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Goodyear endurance tires and long term storage

I park my 5th wheel in a unheated building with a cement floor. I read you should park on plywood , is this what Goodyear recommends or is this a wives tale ?
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperactive View Post
I park my 5th wheel in a unheated building with a cement floor. I read you should park on plywood , is this what Goodyear recommends or is this a wives tale ?
I got the very same tires this past fall and asked the dealer the very same question. There is no advantage or disadvantage to using plywood. They informed me that it used to be due to the corrosion of the metal in the old tires but is not that way any more. They said that one thing to prolong life is to move the trailer monthly if your able to avoid flat spots on the tires.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:55 PM   #3

Radials don't flat spot, that's bias tires.

Concrete won't harm your tires at all. No worries.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #4

Great, thanks for your help.
hyperactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

So to make sure I understand, moving the RV little front to back periodically doesn't help your tires? So it doesn't hurt to leave your tires when storing 5th wheel for extended times? In Texas we fight the heat more than the cold. The sun/heat is brutal here! Biggest reason why we're storing our 5er completely enclosed storage unit! Which BTW bugs the heck out of me because of how expensive it is!! $300/month! We're in process of buying an acre of land and hope to build a large metal building within a year to store it! Can't keep park it in our driveway, HOA rules!
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
So to make sure I understand, moving the RV little front to back periodically doesn't help your tires? So it doesn't hurt to leave your tires when storing 5th wheel for extended times? In Texas we fight the heat more than the cold. The sun/heat is brutal here! Biggest reason why we're storing our 5er completely enclosed storage unit! Which BTW bugs the heck out of me because of how expensive it is!! $300/month! We're in process of buying an acre of land and hope to build a large metal building within a year to store it! Can't keep park it in our driveway, HOA rules!
Radials can sit forever. It's weather cracking and age that you need to worry about, not the sitting. Tires should be replaced after 5 years. Replaced when weather cracking shows up or tread is shot. Obviously if other things like a broken belt or road damage. And the number one killer, air pressure. Nothing destroys a tire faster than low air pressure.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlarson59 View Post
Same here........our HOA only allows an RV on your property for no more than 72 hours. The HOA does own a RV storage lot adjacent to the development where you can rent a space for only $225 per year............including a 30 amp hookup!!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #8

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Same here........our HOA only allows an RV on your property for no more than 72 hours. The HOA does own a RV storage lot adjacent to the development where you can rent a space for only $225 per year............including a 30 amp hookup!!
That is why I make sure I do not live where there is HOA. It's very nice parking my trailer beside my house. Plugged into a 30 Amp outlet. I can work on it whenever I want to for as long as I want to and don't have to worry about moving the trailer back &forth to a storage lot. Much easier to keep an eye on also.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote