Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

Goose Necks

We are looking at going back to a 5th wheel but We want to swap out the 5th wheel pin box for a goose neck pin box.

For all you that have done this, is there a goose neck brand that you recommend over the others?

Is there a brand that I need to stay away from?

Thanks ahead for you inputs.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

The Reese Goosebox is the only one I know of that Lippert endorses for use on their frames. Lots of good reviews out there. Especially the second generation version.
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:54 PM   #3

Check out Gen-Y
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #4

If the frame is a Lippert and has a compatible pin box the Reese Goose Box is the only one approved for use by them. The GenY is a good one from what I've read but I just didn't want the hassle of dealing with an issue if one should develop. If you are buying used with no warranty then it's your choice. I like the 2 shocks and air bag on my Goose Box as it really helps with the overall ride.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:44 AM   #5

Once you tow with the Reese Goosebox, you never look back. As others stated, it's the only approved Gooseneck approved by the flimsy frame maker Lippert.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #6

I went to the Goosebox and love it.
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:37 PM   #7

Have been running a GooseBox for a few years. Smooth ride, easy hitching and unhitching, no issues. I have the 16k version for my 355MBQS, as recommended by Reese.
ShotgunZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 02:26 PM   #8

I will also highly recommend the Reese Goosebox. I've been running it for over 2 years now and is the only reason we even got a 5th wheel. I never wanted to have that 200lbs plus piece of metal in the back of my truck. Now I have 5lbs that are easily removed and allows me the use of the bed of my truck anytime I want.

The only issue I've had with the Reese Goosebox is the fill/deflate block. It was bad from the factory and kept loosing air. I never worried about replacing it under warranty. Just picked up an Air Lift wireless one compressor setup and plumbed it in. Now the bag always stays at the pressure I put it without worry and I can adjust it up and down as I'm driving, never have to do the awkward reach into the bed to fill the air bag with the stock setup and I can also fill the bag to max to lift the trailer higher off the bed rail while maneuvering around campgrounds with uneven sites and roads.
mavrick0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #9

I recently read somewhere that Lippert gave Reese the green light b/c they got exclusive rights to sale of the Goosebox. AFAIK, the Gen Y guys didn't want to give that deal to Lippert. Also, if there was an issue, for whatever reason, I think the Magnussen-Moss Act would apply. Basically, if something happened to, say, the welded on spring hanger, Lippert would have to ultimately prove that a "non-approved" upgrade (Gen-Y) caused another part to fail. FWIW, I don't think it would be a serious issue. Theres some vids online of the Gen-Y factory, and I can't imagine one of those failing, after seeing the production process.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
I will also highly recommend the Reese Goosebox. I've been running it for over 2 years now and is the only reason we even got a 5th wheel. I never wanted to have that 200lbs plus piece of metal in the back of my truck. Now I have 5lbs that are easily removed and allows me the use of the bed of my truck anytime I want.

The only issue I've had with the Reese Goosebox is the fill/deflate block. It was bad from the factory and kept loosing air. I never worried about replacing it under warranty. Just picked up an Air Lift wireless one compressor setup and plumbed it in. Now the bag always stays at the pressure I put it without worry and I can adjust it up and down as I'm driving, never have to do the awkward reach into the bed to fill the air bag with the stock setup and I can also fill the bag to max to lift the trailer higher off the bed rail while maneuvering around campgrounds with uneven sites and roads.

Awesome, do you have any pics?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:59 PM   #11

Dang! That's an idea for sure
GaryNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #12

Just a question for those of you using a gooseneck. What is it you like better about a goose than a 5th wheel? I've been very pleased with my 5th and never liked hookup and towing with a goose. What am I missing?

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Awesome, do you have any pics?
I don't have any at this moment but can get some down the road when I get the trailer out of it's winter storage.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Just a question for those of you using a gooseneck. What is it you like better about a goose than a 5th wheel? I've been very pleased with my 5th and never liked hookup and towing with a goose. What am I missing?
For me it was mainly the use of my bed. I didn't like the idea of either always having that 250lbs piece of equipment in my bed all season and then having to remove it and store it or removing it anytime I wanted to use my bed. The other perks are the weight savings, the fact that it can handle odd angles a lot better then a 5th setup can, either hooking, unhooking or even driving. I've seen several people in provincial parks up here in Ontario get into trouble on some of the "roads" that the 5th can't pivot and pulls traction off of one wheel. Also it is easier to adjust. I simply have to swap balls to change ride height vs. having to unbolt the 5th wheel head and moving it.

In the end the Reese Goosebox was the only reason we went to a 5th wheel. I was going to stick with TT's but this completely changed my mind.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Probably not missing anything. I'm retired now, but on my bigger 2 or 3 axle trailers I preferred a gooseneck hitch, because my older trailers were rear frame hitch tows. But I was towing Bobcats and backhoes. When I changed to gooseneck trailers years ago, it was a world of difference.Much more carrying capacity than a rear hitch, and I feel they were easier to hook up on uneven ground. Plus I could reverse the ball and have a flat bed.

My recent truck I equipped with a 5th wheel hitch. To me, it's more forgiving hooking up if you are off an inch or so sideways. The goose neck, you had to be pretty much spot on with my 14000 pound trailers to hook up, because any 3 axle that's been sitting for a few days isn't going to have any side to side movement so you should be directly over the ball.
The only problem I had with installing the fifth wheel hitch in my Ram, is it didn't come with the puck system. So I have rails in the bed bolted to the frame.
Just my experience.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper906 View Post
Probably not missing anything. I'm retired now, but on my bigger 2 or 3 axle trailers I preferred a gooseneck hitch, because my older trailers were rear frame hitch tows. But I was towing Bobcats and backhoes. When I changed to gooseneck trailers years ago, it was a world of difference.Much more carrying capacity than a rear hitch, and I feel they were easier to hook up on uneven ground. Plus I could reverse the ball and have a flat bed.

My recent truck I equipped with a 5th wheel hitch. To me, it's more forgiving hooking up if you are off an inch or so sideways. The goose neck, you had to be pretty much spot on with my 14000 pound trailers to hook up, because any 3 axle that's been sitting for a few days isn't going to have any side to side movement so you should be directly over the ball.

The only problem I had with installing the fifth wheel hitch in my Ram, is it didn't come with the puck system. So I have rails in the bed bolted to the frame.

Just my experience.
I can see a big difference with goose or 5th versus a rear hitch. I've pulled a few goose necks and they were harder to line up and connect since I couldn't see the ball easily. I had the rails in my bed for my 5th but they were never a problem. The Ram 2500 truck I have now has the puck system but I have a rear pull trailer. Of course it has the puck for a goose ball too so I have a choice if I ever upgrade.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-16-2022, 06:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick0 View Post
For me it was mainly the use of my bed. I didn't like the idea of either always having that 250lbs piece of equipment in my bed all season and then having to remove it and store it or removing it anytime I wanted to use my bed. The other perks are the weight savings, the fact that it can handle odd angles a lot better then a 5th setup can, either hooking, unhooking or even driving. I've seen several people in provincial parks up here in Ontario get into trouble on some of the "roads" that the 5th can't pivot and pulls traction off of one wheel. Also it is easier to adjust. I simply have to swap balls to change ride height vs. having to unbolt the 5th wheel head and moving it.

In the end the Reese Goosebox was the only reason we went to a 5th wheel. I was going to stick with TT's but this completely changed my mind.
Wow what kind of hitch did you have. On my old truck I could pick up the hitch and unload it by myself. It was easy enough if I needed full use of the bed. I don't guess I've ever been on roads like you describe. I never had any problem maneuvering with the 5th. I've also never needed to adjust it after the first setup. I have a TT now but I may upgrade in the future. I liked a 5er much better when I had one. Much easier to hook up.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 02-16-2022, 08:59 PM   #18

hooking/unhooking on unleveled services, i.e. lake shore parking where you would have to use blocks or dig a tire trench on one side to level your rig is a major major pain to do with a in bed 5th wheel hitch.. A Gooseneck will solve that dilemma. Also, Goosenecks will allow you to use most of your truck bed for whatever you desire, you save about 100 lbs. of bed weight, no hassles with placing and removing a big heavy hitch system, factory frame warranty is not void with the Reese or Lipertt Gooseneck system, ride comfort with a Gooseneck is like night and day over in bed hitch systems and the pros could keep going and going winning over the cons..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 06:59 AM   #19

I installed the Reese Goosebox 20K last year on my 28.5 rsts. Love it. My truck had the BW gooseneck hitch in it. No big Fifth Wheel hitch in your bed . Takes a little getting used to when hooking up, as you need to be pretty much directly over the ball. I installed a bed camera to help see the ball.
Harrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelli View Post
hooking/unhooking on unleveled services, i.e. lake shore parking where you would have to use blocks or dig a tire trench on one side to level your rig is a major major pain to do with a in bed 5th wheel hitch.. A Gooseneck will solve that dilemma. Also, Goosenecks will allow you to use most of your truck bed for whatever you desire, you save about 100 lbs. of bed weight, no hassles with placing and removing a big heavy hitch system, factory frame warranty is not void with the Reese or Lipertt Gooseneck system, ride comfort with a Gooseneck is like night and day over in bed hitch systems and the pros could keep going and going winning over the cons..
Wow, you must be in some really tight terrain. I've set my 5er up with 10" of blocks under one side and had to remove the spare from under the front to get it level. I didn't have any trouble hooking or unhooking. I can't imagine going to a worse place than that. I couldn't walk on the ground.

Jayflight 34RSBS